Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Debbie Reynolds (1932-2016)

jakeem

Debbie will get a 24-hour tribute on TCM.  They haven't yet released the day or the schedule, but have announced plans to honor Debbie.

And she definitely deserves an all-day tribute. Hope it's in early January and not delayed.

It is unutterably tragic.

What parent cannot identify with the heart breaking anguish Debbie Reynolds felt with the death of her daughter? And, on this blackest of days, it was too much to bear for a woman who had been a fighter and scrapper all her life.

Farewell Debbie. Farewell Carrie.

The inspiration you both provided the world with your talents and fighting spirits will continue to be a part of your enduring legacies. At this moment, however, all I can feel are the tears that come with the terrible unfairness of life, at times.

debbie-reynolds-carrie-fisher-e97d69fe-4

Debbie was a fabulous mimic, and she did a devastating impersonation of Zsa Zsa Gabor. Here's an example from the late Sir Terry Wogan's British talk show in the 1980s.

I had noted long ago that there were very few female mimics. Debbie was one of the few who did this, in addition to her other talents.

Debbie was a fabulous mimic, and she did a devastating impersonation of Zsa Zsa Gabor. Here's an example from the late Sir Terry Wogan's British talk show in the 1980s.

She does a mean Bette Davis here, as well. Funny, talented lady.

it's just really sad. I think losing carrie caused her to die from a broken heart.

for all intentions carrie fisher was gone last friday two days before christmas. and the news media didn't really give us the facts. all they said was that she was 'stabilized' with no mention that she had no respiration or pulse for fifteen minutes on the plane so she was gone even though she had been resuscitated. so I think we can assume that doctors probably had given Debbie Reynolds the facts and the prognosis which couldn't have been encouraging for Debbie Reynolds.

it is just very tragic that this had to unfold for their family just before christmas and new year's.

This is an unspeakable tragedy, the worst Hollywood tragedy that I can recall. I, for one, will not attempt any wisecracks on these boards today.

I absolutely would not allow my ears to comprehend the loss of Debbie Reynolds today....this is no way to end the New Year and move into the next...I want to hold on to my past.  How absolutely wonderful that "Singing in the Rain" will be on the Big Screen in January.  Should be a must see for all the TCM fans. 

While I will never argue about the fabulous "Good Morning" dance my all time favourite is "ABBA DABA DO" number...that is just too wonderful.  Thanks for the memories Debbie...tears are not enough and the sadness in my heart is too much.  One more reason for TCM to remain ever present in our lives so that we never have to truly forget.

thank you Debbie, for making my life a little better every time I watched you on the screen. You will be missed.

It doesn't have to be in the past tense. Her performances live on.

We've been talking about GOODBYE CHARLIE the past few days in the LGBT sub-forum. A number of her films do not air on TCM so there's plenty for fans to keep discovering. 

I'm a bit curious about the self-titled TV sitcom she did in the early 70s. I have a feeling she did a great job in those episodes and I am going to try to hunt them down somewhere.

It doesn't have to be in the past tense. Her performances live on.

We've been talking about GOODBYE CHARLIE the past few days in the LGBT sub-forum. A number of her films do not air on TCM so there's plenty for fans to keep discovering. 

Since I don't frequent the sub-forum, I'm not even going to ASK what reincarnation has to do with "gender identity".  

("It's metaphoric!"  No, it's self-absorbed wishful thinking, and a need to psychologically "customize" any movie personally in order to watch it.  TCM folk don't do that.)

In honor of Debbie's "comeback" roles in the 70's, I suppose I'm the first by now to post:

She had real talent for drama, displayed in THE CATERED AFFAIR. For some reason, she wasn't given much chance in roles such as this.

Probably Hollywood typecasting. It would be interesting to know how she wound up in THE CATERED AFFAIR. Did she have to fight for the role? I agree, she's very good in it and should have had a supporting actress nomination for it.

While I will never argue about the fabulous "Good Morning" dance my all time favourite is "ABBA DABA DO" number...that is just too wonderful. 

Took me a while to realize you meant "Aba Daba Honeymoon" from Two Weeks With Love.

(My first reaction reading that was "No, wait, Ann-Margret was on the Flintstones, right?")

And yes, even if the TCM Fathom Singin' in the Rain is less about Debbie and more about Warner neurotically thinking they only have five old films that the mainstream has heard of, it's required to track down someone who hasn't seen it yet and make them watch it on the big screen.

Everyone knows, Singin' is the Gateway Drug Movie you use to get newbies to like old films.

here's a link to a very dishy and entertaining (and, thankfully, Kartrashian-free)  article from eonline (a rare thing for that site.) it profiles the complicated friendship of Debbie and Liz Taylor and it- for whatever reason- cheered me up greatly:

http://www.eonline.com/news/818572/inside-debbie-reynolds-and-elizabeth-taylor-s-complicated-friendship

Since I don't frequent the sub-forum, I'm not even going to ASK what reincarnation has to do with "gender identity".  

("It's metaphoric!"  No, it's self-absorbed wishful thinking, and a need to psychologically "customize" any movie personally in order to watch it.  TCM folk don't do that.)

In honor of Debbie's "comeback" roles in the 70's, I suppose I'm the first by now to post:

is it me or does charlotte kinda look like tammy with those bangs? :)

Took me a while to realize you meant "Aba Daba Honeymoon" from Two Weeks With Love.

(My first reaction reading that was "No, wait, Ann-Margret was on the Flintstones, right?")

Oh you are so right EricJ...diminishing grey cells...the most important part was the Aba Daba part and the recalled vision was of Debbie singing it with Carleton Carpenter....it was an amazing rendition and great choreography. Thanks for jolting my grey cells.

Two of her later performances that are exceptional are MOTHER from 1996 and IN & OUT from 1997. She didn't get nominated for either, in the case of the second film, it's somewhat understandable since her role is very small, but in the case of the first there's absolutely no excuse. It was quite possibly the best performance given by an actress that year and the five nominees who did make the cut ALL gave weak performances, not a one of which was truly worthy of a nod (IMO)

The first movie the great British director Terence Davies saw was Singin' in the Rain.  Here is his use of "Tammy" in The Long Day Closes (which seriously, TCM should show, along with Distant Voices, Still Lives and the rest of his filmography). 

Archived