Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Debbie Reynolds (1932-2016)

jakeem

The first movie the great British director Terence Davies saw was Singin' in the Rain.  Here is his use of "Tammy" in The Long Day Closes (which seriously, TCM should show, along with Distant Voices, Still Lives and the rest of his filmography). 

One of the great movies of all time, and a must for movie lovers. That "Tammy" scene is brilliant -- nothing quite like it. Yes, TCM should have a Davies festival, and include his great documentary on Liverpool, Of Time and the City.

I have a very dim recollection of Debbie's sitcom from the 1969-1970 season.  I have read that one of the problems was she disagreed with the network's use of tobacco advertising, which was still legal at the time.

On some talk show I remember Debbie saying that she "learned" to smoke for "Divorce, American Style", got hooked and had a hard time quitting, which she did.

The first movie the great British director Terence Davies saw was Singin' in the Rain.  Here is his use of "Tammy" in The Long Day Closes (which seriously, TCM should show, along with Distant Voices, Still Lives and the rest of his filmography). 

Thank you for that clip.  Hearing her sweet voice with the violins behind her, right now, brought tears to my eyes.

I also read her biography and just loved how natural and funny she sounded.  I think one of the things that always set Debbie apart is that, unlike a lot of stars, she didn't set out to be a big star and the center of everyone's attention, she just went along to a local beauty contest with one of her friends, hoping to win a free blouse, and ended up, "discovered."  She didn't think she had any real talent to use in the pageant so, copying a scene from "Miracle at Morgan Creek," she lip synced to a recording of a man with a very deep, bass voice. I'll bet she was hilarious.

I have a very dim recollection of Debbie's sitcom from the 1969-1970 season.  

From what I've read, it was created by Jess Oppenheimer (responsible for I Love Lucy). So I would imagine the scenarios have a Lucy-esque feel to them. I'd like to see it.

I just started reading Debbie's book, lucky to be the first at the library!

Reading just the first few pages aloud to TikiKid while MrT drove, it made us all laugh out loud. It occurred to me just what really was so special about Debbie & Carrie, above all other Hollywood relationships.

Like it was said by someone earlier, Debbie kind of fell into stardom. She just had natural beauty (inside & out) and natural talent brought out by hard work & the studio system nurturing-opportunities we can't imagine. But, just like anyone, she had her trials & tribulations, only hers were publicized and in millions of dollars.

I think many empathized with her husband dumping her for her best friend, how horrible! And watching her through the years overcome awful hurdles one after another and come out a bright & chipper survivor! I love reading about her utterly normal relationships with other stars. And what a personal triumph to make amends with Liz. I will always admire Debbie's generosity.

Carrie is just as beautiful & talented but has debilitating emotional issues. We observed Carrie dealing with her issues, so wonderfully expressed in her writings. I was astounded by how shock therapy helped her while laughing at her verbage, "Shockaholic". She learned so much from her Mother, how to cope with adversity, how to spin it into a positive. What a typical mother/daughter relationship.

Both Carrie & Debbie have been open about their crazy lives, helping us to connect with them- they are simply America's famous dysfunctional family. What an inspiration for all of us in so many different ways!

I just started reading Debbie's book, lucky to be the first at the library!

Reading just the first few pages aloud to TikiKid while MrT drove, it made us all laugh out loud. It occurred to me just what really was so special about Debbie & Carrie, above all other Hollywood relationships.

Like it was said by someone earlier, Debbie kind of fell into stardom. She just had natural beauty (inside & out) and natural talent brought out by hard work & the studio system nurturing-opportunities we can't imagine. But, just like anyone, she had her trials & tribulations, only hers were publicized and in millions of dollars.

I think many empathized with her husband dumping her for her best friend, how horrible! And watching her through the years overcome awful hurdles one after another and come out a bright & chipper survivor! I love reading about her utterly normal relationships with other stars. And what a personal triumph to make amends with Liz. I will always admire Debbie's generosity.

Carrie is just as beautiful & talented but has debilitating emotional issues. We observed Carrie dealing with her issues, so wonderfully expressed in her writings. I was astounded by how shock therapy helped her while laughing at her verbage, "Shockaholic". She learned so much from her Mother, how to cope with adversity, how to spin it into a positive. What a typical mother/daughter relationship.

Both Carrie & Debbie have been open about their crazy lives, helping us to connect with them- they are simply America's famous dysfunctional family. What an inspiration for all of us in so many different ways!

I'll bet that many younger people who are very familiar with Carrie Fisher are barely aware of who Debbie Reynolds is.

COPIED AND PASTED FROM SLATE.COM:

HBO

In response to the deaths of Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds, HBO has moved up the broadcast date of Bright Lights, the documentary about the two that premiered at Cannes last year. It will now air on January 7 at 8 p.m.

This is vey sad news. It seems that Debbie Reynolds' grief over the loss of her daughter was so intense,

I saw Tammy and the Bachelor when it aired on TCM fairly recently.

Such a wonderful movie!

Maybe it's not the kind of movie that's going to change the world, but it made me very happy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3mtNZFrMY

TCM will be honouring Debbie Reynolds with a 24 hour marathon of her films on Friday, January 27. Included in TCM's tribute:

IT STARTED WITH A KISS ('59)

BUNDLE OF JOY ('56)

HOW THE WEST WAS WON ('62)

THE TENDER TRAP ('55)

HIT THE DECK ('55)

I LOVE MELVIN ('53)

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN ('52)

THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN ('64)

THE MATING GAME ('59)

THE CATERED AFFAIR ('56)

THE SINGING NUN ('66)

HOW SWEET IT IS ('68)

TCM will be honouring Debbie Reynolds with a 24 hour marathon of her films on Friday, January 27. Included in TCM's tribute:

IT STARTED WITH A KISS ('59)

BUNDLE OF JOY ('56)

HOW THE WEST WAS WON ('62)

THE TENDER TRAP ('55)

HIT THE DECK ('55)

I LOVE MELVIN ('53)

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN ('52)

THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN ('64)

THE MATING GAME ('59)

THE CATERED AFFAIR ('56)

THE SINGING NUN ('66)

HOW SWEET IT IS ('68)

Thanks Barton. It will cut off the end of Jane Wyman's tribute from the previous evening. And it means the primetime slate of Rossano Brazzi films will now be postponed (probably his tribute will wind up on the April or May schedule).

Here's what gets pre-empted:

Daytime

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-30%2Bat%2B11.11.

Primetime

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-30%2Bat%2B11.12.

wonder if they'll intro/outro BUNDLE OF JOY to provide the background or if it'd be to tender to touch right now.

ps- can someone tell me if i'm wrong, but it seems like Debbie and Eddie had Carrie and her brother reallyclose together, like one was born in '58 and the other '59; this right?

wonder if they'll intro/outro BUNDLE OF JOY to provide the background or if it'd be to tender to touch right now.

ps- can someone tell me if i'm wrong, but it seems like Debbie and Eddie had Carrie and her brother reallyclose together, like one was born in '58 and the other '59; this right?

BUNDLE OF JOY is one of the first movies I remember going to with my parents.

Thanks Barton. It will cut off the end of Jane Wyman's tribute from the previous evening. And it means the primetime slate of Rossano Brazzi films will now be postponed (probably his tribute will wind up on the April or May schedule).

Here's what gets pre-empted:

Daytime

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-30%2Bat%2B11.11.

Primetime

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-30%2Bat%2B11.12.

Why are they waiting until Jan .27? If they did it immediately, it would show more respect for her.

Why are they waiting until Jan .27? If they did it immediately, it would show more respect for her.

Perhaps they need time to film the wraparounds. Maybe they are going to bring Todd, Catherine and Billie on for some of the segments.

Perhaps they need time to film the wraparounds. Maybe they are going to bring Todd, Catherine and Billie on for some of the segments.

TB:  I really do hope they do wraparounds...I enjoy the segments when people close to the honoured performer offer tidbits and personal remembrances although it will be really heartbreaking for the family members to participate this close to the events.  However the wraparounds may be a catharsis of sorts and in a way a recognition of how much their loved one is appreciated and respected outside of the family. 

And don't forget Fathom Events is spotlighting "Singing in the Rain" at the theatre in January as well as an exciting event for me..."Casablanca" on the big screen...something I will try and drag all my friends to...even if I have to pay for their tickets. 

TB:  I really do hope they do wraparounds...I enjoy the segments when people close to the honoured performer offer tidbits and personal remembrances although it will be really heartbreaking for the family members to participate this close to the events.  However the wraparounds may be a catharsis of sorts and in a way a recognition of how much their loved one is appreciated and respected outside of the family. 

I appreciate the cathartic sit-downs, too. Usually, they're a bit more raw...with more honest emotions, helping us understand why the person being honored was so adored/loved.

"In the wake of the tragic deaths of Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher this week, HBO announced Friday morning that it has pushed up the debut of the mother-daughter documentary “Bright Lights: Starring Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds” to Jan. 7 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT). 

HBO describes the film, which had showings at several film festivals including Cannes and Telluride, as “an intimate portrait of Hollywood royalty in all its eccentricity.” It chronicles the complex relationship between the dynamic duo, who lived next door to each other in the same Beverly Hills compound....

HBO will also offer an encore presentation of Fisher’s hit memoir-based one-woman show “Wishful Drinking” on Sunday at 9 p.m. (ET/PT).

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-bright-lights-documentary-moved-up-20161230-story.html

Archived