Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Debbie Reynolds (1932-2016)

I just started reading Debbie's book, lucky to be the first at the library!

Reading just the first few pages aloud to TikiKid while MrT drove, it made us all laugh out loud. It occurred to me just what really was so special about Debbie & Carrie, above all other Hollywood relationships.

Like it was said by someone earlier, Debbie kind of fell into stardom. She just had natural beauty (inside & out) and natural talent brought out by hard work & the studio system nurturing-opportunities we can't imagine. But, just like anyone, she had her trials & tribulations, only hers were publicized and in millions of dollars.

I think many empathized with her husband dumping her for her best friend, how horrible! And watching her through the years overcome awful hurdles one after another and come out a bright & chipper survivor! I love reading about her utterly normal relationships with other stars. And what a personal triumph to make amends with Liz. I will always admire Debbie's generosity.

Carrie is just as beautiful & talented but has debilitating emotional issues. We observed Carrie dealing with her issues, so wonderfully expressed in her writings. I was astounded by how shock therapy helped her while laughing at her verbage, "Shockaholic". She learned so much from her Mother, how to cope with adversity, how to spin it into a positive. What a typical mother/daughter relationship.

Both Carrie & Debbie have been open about their crazy lives, helping us to connect with them- they are simply America's famous dysfunctional family. What an inspiration for all of us in so many different ways!

I managed to put Carrie's book, Wishful Drinking on hold at the library.  I look forward to reading it.  Thanks to my friends here on the board, HelenBaby and Mr6666, I've been made aware that Carrie's Wishful Drinking special is on HBO On Demand and it will be airing tomorrow on HBO.  I look forward to seeing the special that Carrie and Debbie did together.  I read an interview where Carrie was discussing the documentary.  She acknowledged her mother's health problems and stated that this documentary would most likely be the last project her mother would work on.  How sad that this turned out to be prophetic.  However, how perfect that Debbie's last project was working with her daughter.  

the mother-daughter documentary “Bright Lights: Starring Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds” to Jan. 7 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT)

MAKE 'EM LAUGH, Debbie's last book opens with her description of the actual SAG ceremony and her annoyance of the film crew making that piece. Apparently, Debbie had been battling a digestive issue at the time and felt sick to her stomach all evening. Reading her viewpoint really brings home what a star's life can really be like. (the show must go on!)

She said she didn't remember anything of that evening, except being pushed onto stage, pushed off the stage....bear this in mind when you watch the documentary. I'll bet she sparkles for her fans through it all. What a trouper!

Just after the SAG award and the making of the documentary, Reynolds had been listed on IMDB for a movie about oldsters in a home who "put on a show" to save the home. She had some minor surgery but suffered a mild stroke. I don't recall that she was seen in public again, and the movie project disappeared . Another source mentioned a series of "ministrokes" which may have accelerated dementia. She had basically no memory of the SAG award. She did not make any kind of personal or on-screen appearance when she won the special Oscar a year ago. That was the really telling sign. There's no way in hell that Reynolds would have missed that Oscar win unless she was in bad shape. Sadly, her decline seemed to come very quickly.

After the documentary was shown at Cannes, Fisher made comments about how Debbie was confused by it all and couldn't quite grasp that the documentary was "backstage" and not a show. Debbie kept getting into full makeup etc for the cameras.Not to say that she has become Norma Desmond, but the old trouper was getting easily confused by it all.

• Like 1

This is vey sad news. It seems that Debbie Reynolds' grief over the loss of her daughter was so intense,

I saw Tammy and the Bachelor when it aired on TCM fairly recently.

Such a wonderful movie!

Maybe it's not the kind of movie that's going to change the world, but it made me very happy!

I saw TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR for the first time when TCM aired it as a double feature with TAMMY TELL ME TRUE.

Debbie Reynolds was wonderful as Tammy.

Sandra Dee was very good too.

• Like 3

I saw TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR for the first time when TCM aired it as a double feature with TAMMY TELL ME TRUE.

Debbie Reynolds was wonderful as Tammy.

Sandra Dee was very good too.

This is ridiculous, I saw the montage on Sunday. If they could add Carrie Fisher, why couldn't they add Debbie, who died one day later?

Very sad news. :( I hadnt been watching the news or been online in weeks. I only found out about Debbie when I saw the TCM memorial a few days ago. Never even heard about Carrie. AWFUL.  Cant help thinking Carrie's death brought on the stroke. I always thought Debbie was born in 1929?

I assume TCM will be preempting a whole day for Debbie. (havent checked yet).

Very sad news. :( I hadnt been watching the news or been online in weeks. I only found out about Debbie when I saw the TCM memorial a few days ago. Never even heard about Carrie. AWFUL.  Cant help thinking Carrie's death brought on the stroke. I always thought Debbie was born in 1929?

I assume TCM will be preempting a whole day for Debbie. (havent checked yet).

Apparently it's going to be Jan. 27th.

About halfway through Debbie's newest book MAKE 'EM LAUGH, she opens chapter 7 by saying:

"What would I do without Turner Classic Movies?"

"I run the channel day and night" and goes on to describe old movies & old movie friends...

...who would have thought she was such good friends with the Gabors?

Moderator....since we've got cross posting going on, why not merge Debbie Reynolds & Carrie Fisher's threads?

Seems fitting these two are merged in every other way for eternity.

..except that Carrie is in the TCM year-end montage and Debbie is not.