Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Debbie Reynolds (1932-2016)

jakeem

• 3 weeks later...

Todd Fisher was in studio with TCM's Ben Mankiewicz yesterday, recording wraparounds for some of the Debbie Reynolds films TCM will air on Friday, January 27.

This may be the time for me to indicate that my grandmother's sister  regularly played cards with Eddie  Fisher's mother.

I had forgotten how subversive THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN is; those sex clown prostitutes that show up in the BELLY UP TO THE BAR! scene are a hoot; and there are quite a few (mild) swear words!

Still, I wish Charles Walters had known when to take things down a few notches; he's got a great story and the right actors, but everything is AMPED UP TO "11" and it would be even better at an "8."

Ed Begley is really wonderful in this; and who played Mr. Brown? He seemed like Howard Keel, but he wasn't Howard Keel- he was great though, and he and Debbie had real chemistry.

OH, AND...

I was finally able to watch the Carrie Fisher-narrated tribute to Debbie again last night. (It's been too hard heretofore.)

Keep that one in rotation, TCM.

PS- Apropos of NOTHING, but just in case any of you need a larf, I made a typo in the post below that made BELLY UP TO THE BAR turn into BELLY UP TO THE BARF.

Aw, her son showed up in prime time. How nice.

The interviews actually made me cry...hard to believe but I was just awed by the respect and love he artlessly demonstrated for his mother and sister.  Debbie was a great personality and her legend will remain so...however it appears her greatest legacy is her children.  Let us hope her grandchildren demonstrate the same approach to life.

I was also quite impressed with Todd's display of respect of Debbie's parents and how they remained a constant in all their lives.  Great interviews...Thanks TCM. 

(caveat...hiss! boo! to those who developed Backlot and had the nerve to say we could access extended interviews on TCM/Backlot...I already pay a fortune in cable fees just to be able to have TCM as an added channel. 

The interviews actually made me cry...hard to believe but I was just awed by the respect and love he artlessly demonstrated for his mother and sister.  Debbie was a great personality and her legend will remain so...however it appears her greatest legacy is her children. 

The anecdote about the ring he kept from MOLLY BROWN was very touching.

Ed Begley is really wonderful in this; and who played Mr. Brown? He seemed like Howard Keel, but he wasn't Howard Keel- he was great though, and he and Debbie had real chemistry.

Harve Presnell, a Keel-lookalike.

PS- Apropos of NOTHING, but just in case any of you need a larf, I made a typo in the post below that made BELLY UP TO THE BAR turn into BELLY UP TO THE BARF.

Oddly, Belly Up to the Barf is the English title for Porco Mondo.

Harve Presnell, a Keel-lookalike.

Presnell later had some fine moments in "Saving Private Ryan" (1998) as General George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff for the U.S. Army during World War II.

OH, AND...

I was finally able to watch the Carrie Fisher-narrated tribute to Debbie again last night. (It's been too hard heretofore.)

Keep that one in rotation, TCM.

Speaking up typos, the post three above yours refers to Debbie's son as Tood Fisher. His friends called him Tood the Dood.

I wonder whether your aunt knew my grandmother's sister.

Considering that when that picture was taken in the 1950s the population of Philadelphia was half a million more than it is now days, I'd say the chances of that would be less so than it would have been now days too, DGF.

Which I suppose might beg the question: Why have so many people left Philly for other locations in these intervening years, and when so many other cities have grown in population?

Did they perhaps come to the same conclusion about that town as one William Claude Dukenfield ultimately would???

LOL

(...sorry ol' buddy...couldn't resist here) ;)

Considering that when that picture was taken in the 1950s the population of Philadelphia was half a million more than it is now days, I'd say the chances of that would be less so than it would have been now days too, DGF.

Which I suppose might beg the question: Why have so many people left Philly for other locations in these intervening years, and when so many other cities have grown in population?

Did they perhaps come to the same conclusion about that town as one William Claude Dukenfield ultimately would???

LOL

(...sorry ol' buddy...couldn't resist here) ;)

True.  Also, my aunt lived in North Philadelphia and Fisher was in South Philadelphia.  Although, when they dated, he was in the army, and already famous.  She definitely knew his mom, and it's possible she knew some of his mom's friends, as well.  As for Philadelphia, they have been experiencing very slight growth, for the past nine years.   Not great, but major growth leads to major problems, because that is usually due to a trend, that can change, quickly.  One of the issues with Philadelphia, is that it has been slow to attract immigrants, which account for many cities' population growth.  A complete reversal of what make it a major city in the beginning.  However, that seems to be changing, of late. 

Archived