Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Debbie Reynolds (1932-2016)

jakeem

True.  Also, my aunt lived in North Philadelphia and Fisher was in South Philadelphia.  Although, when they dated, he was in the army, and already famous.  She definitely knew his mom, and it's possible she knew some of his mom's friends, as well.  As for Philadelphia, they have been experiencing very slight growth, for the past nine years.   Not great, but major growth leads to major problems, because that is usually due to a trend, that can change, quickly.  One of the issues with Philadelphia, is that it has been slow to attract immigrants, which account for many cities' population growth.  A complete reversal of what make it a major city in the beginning.  However, that seems to be changing, of late. 

Gotta admit it would be cool if these ladies with that Eddie Fisher connect had known each other, alright.

And re my kidding of The City of Brotherly Love...

Yep, reports from our new neighbors here in Sedona and who hail from Philly(the husband a lawyer about to retire from his practice there) are that like many cities now days there's been a revival of sorts in the urban center, and in Philly's case the area known as Center City.

(...and similar to how even in my old regional stompin' grounds of the greater Los Angeles area there's been a recent revitalization of downtown and with loft apartments going for big bucks there and a resurgent nightlife...back in my day Downtown L.A. was pretty much dead after the warm California sun set over the Pacific)  

It would be cool if they knew one another.  However, my aunt died a couple of years ago, so there is no asking.  Center City has never needed a revival.  It's never gone out of style; and, has always been a hubbub of both residential and commerce.   However, the inner city (where I grew up) does need one, and in the case of my old neighborhood (Lower Kensington/Fishtown), it is having a major revival.  Homes and businesses, thrive.  A pizza shop in Fishtown was named "Best in the United States", by Bon Appetite; and Philadelphia was named the second best shopping city in the world, by Conde Naste Traveler.  Barcelona, Spain was Number 1.

Considering that when that picture was taken in the 1950s the population of Philadelphia was half a million more than it is now days, I'd say the chances of that would be less so than it would have been now days too, DGF.

Which I suppose might beg the question: Why have so many people left Philly for other locations in these intervening years, and when so many other cities have grown in population?

Did they perhaps come to the same conclusion about that town as one William Claude Dukenfield ultimately would???

LOL

(...sorry ol' buddy...couldn't resist here) ;)

Many of those 500,000 people who disappeared from the population count were murdered.

It would be cool if they knew one another.  However, my aunt died a couple of years ago, so there is no asking.  Center City has never needed a revival.  It's never gone out of style; and, has always been a hubbub of both residential and commerce.   However, the inner city (where I grew up) does need one, and in the case of my old neighborhood (Lower Kensington/Fishtown), it is having a major revival.  Homes and businesses, thrive.  A pizza shop in Fishtown was named "Best in the United States", by Bon Appetite; and Philadelphia was named the second best shopping city in the world, by Conde Naste Traveler.  Barcelona, Spain was Number 1.

This is neither here nor there, but my Trader Joe's has the 2nd highest sales of any in the U.S.

This is neither here nor there, but my Trader Joe's has the 2nd highest sales of any in the U.S.

That doesn't surprise me none here, DGF.

Seein' of course how people THERE would especially feel safe while shopping for Two-Buck Chuck.

(...and considering that security force there which you've told us about in past is always on their toes)

That doesn't surprise me none here, DGF.

Seein' of course how people THERE would especially feel safe while shopping for Two-Buck Chuck.

(...and considering that security force there which you've told us about in past is always on their toes)

They are long gone. The store is so crowded that they didn't have room for them.

Many of those 500,000 people who disappeared from the population count were murdered.

Well, I've heard not ALL of 'em anyway.

Nope, word is SOME of 'em moved to Chicago to be out of harm's way.

(...BUT of course............) 

By coincidence, I was reading an old reference book today that was talking about the death of actress PIER ANGELI in the early 1970s. Apparently Debbie Reynolds was a very good friend of hers and offered to adopt her young son upon her unfortunate demise.

Pier's notoriously domineering stage mother stepped in though and claimed the boy, but it was still an awfully nice and selfless gesture of Debbie.

Archived