Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kimpunkrock

20,000 leagues under the sea

I am not sure if it is still there, but when I was a kid my parents took me to Disney World in Florida. One of the rides I took was the 20,000 leagues under the sea ride. I believe u got to ride in the actual sub that was created for the movie. Also at Sea World in Florida, i got to climb aboard and explore a boat called "The Bounty" that was made for a film called Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard. It was the actual boat that they filmed the movie on. i guess I was born to be a classic film lover, thanks to my parents, who took me to see these classic film landmarks.

Has anyone else seen these two attractions and are they still there?

I never cared for the film version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, although I love the novel and although I love James Mason a lot but this movie is not a favorite, I am much more excited about seeing Batman Returns on TCM tonight.

I was in Florida resently and the ride was gone. I was on it before in '82. Kind of stinks because the 20,000 leagues under the sea ride ROCKED!!

The film is not bad either.....

vallo

> I was in Florida resently and the ride was gone. I

> was on it before in '82. Kind of stinks because the

> 20,000 leagues under the sea ride ROCKED!!

> The film is not bad either.....

>

> vallo

I was there in 1982 also...I remembered it was that year because it was the year my little sister was born. That is a shame about the ride closing. I hope the Bounty is still at Sea World.

Never been to the Florida theme parks yet, but I did visit Universal Studios... the E.T., Back to the Future and Backdraft attractions were kind of interesting....

This is the first time I had seen this movie since I was a little kid and I must say that I really enjoyed this picture. Kirk Douglas who has always been one of my favs, is totally amazing in this movie. James Mason is also good as is a fat Peter Lorre. This has definitely become one of my top favorite movies. Thanks to TCM for playing it.

Gee Whiz, I gust replied to this thread and my reply disappeared???

This was the first time that TCM has run 20K. Unfortunately, Robert Osbourne's commentary was beyond pathetic! There was about a 20 minute intermission between the end of the previous film and 20K, during which time a newsreel short was run, along with some TCM advertisements that have already been beaten to death.

Osbourne's opening commentary was nothing more than a brief synoposis of the film, which added nothing to the presentation. This film is so significant that it is really a shame that Osbourne did not prepare a more in-depth commentary!

Anyhow, the true "star" of this film is Harper Goff's creation, the Nautilus! The Disney Nautilus is one of the most popular Sci-Fi models of all time, and has legions of fans and web-sites. Too bad Osbourne failed to mention any of them, like http://www.disneysub.com/. Not only are there commercially available Nautilus models available (that are usually quite expensive) but scores of model builders have built both static and RC versions of the Nautilus in a variety of scales. All one has to do is a quick internet search, typing in Disney Nautilus.

It is really shameful that Osbourne failed to mention Harper Goff!!

A few years ago Disney had a symposium regarding the film with several displays.

Also, Osbourne's closing commentary regarding was an almost direct plagarism about director Richard Fleischer from on-line articles like Wikipedia.

On-line info regarding the demise of the Disney ride is also available on-line, and the ride was not an origional film prop

Isn't there a really, REALLY old version of 20,000 Leagues? I haven't seen it. But I think I heard that.

Yes I believe that the silent version was made in 1916...if u goto IMDB.com and search the title....it should come up...I was looking at its page as I was watching the film.....that is a shame about the Disney ride......thanks for clearing it up about the ride not being an original prop...as a little kid on the ride, I was under the impression that it was from the film....but that was because I was on The Bounty which is/was the original boat they made for the Marlon Brando film....The Bounty at sea world is an amazing thing to see, that is if it is still there....

Just to add on--not only is the ride gone at both Disneyworld in Florida and Disneyland in California, the lagoon where the ride was in Disneyworld has been filled in. I believe that the lagoon is still there in Disneyland, with some Finding Nemo stuff in it.

I did like the ride, however, it was one of the slowest loading rides at the park, making the lines quite long. When I was a kid I thought it was really cool. But when I rode it as an adult, it was kind of like, "oh, look, fake fish on sticks!" LOL!

Sandy K

Ms. Pax wrote: "...I believe that the lagoon is still there in Disneyland, with some Finding Nemo stuff in it."

The Disneyland submarine ride isn't open yet. Unlike the old Submarine Voyage, there will be no mermaids, sea serpents nor "fishsticks". Instead, riders will peer through the portholes to see scenes inspired by Finding Nemo; they'll actually be projections within boxes. I'll always miss the old subs, but am glad the lagoon will be back in use. 'Tis a shame they filled in DisneyWorld's lagoon.

Mr. Precision said, "On-line info regarding the demise of the Disney ride is also available on-line, and the ride was not an origional film prop."

The old Tomorrowland in Disneyland did have some of the sets from this movie though. It was a different attraction from the Submarine Voyage, but as I recall it featured the organ room from the movie, for example...

Can anyone post the seafood dinner that Nemo serves? I think it was filet of sea snake, then something with an unborn octopus....

Lots of omega-3 fatty oils for the good of the heart!

I don't have the complete menu, but the pudding was saute of unborn octopus. And when Kirk Douglas heard this, he spit the pudding out of his mouth.

> Isn't there a really, REALLY old version of 20,000 Leagues?

> I haven't seen it. But I think I heard that.

The 1916 version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is freely available either as a streaming video or as a download at the Internet Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/20000LeaguesUndertheSea

I warn you that the image quality may not be up to the standards to which you are accustomed.

Quote from Internet Archive description:

The Universal Film Manufacturing Company was not known in the silent era as premier producer of motion pictures. Yet, in 1916 they produced a film that could not be made effectively without expensive special effects and special photography.

The novel had previously been made as short films in 1907 by Georges M?li?s and in 1913 by French company ?clair.) Marshalling the expertise underwater experts Ernest and George Williamson, Universal financed the extensive production which would require location photography, large sets, exotic costumes, sailing ships, and a full-size navigable mock-up of the surfaced submarine Nautilus.