Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM is changing ....

alpha

Perhaps this has been a discussion already.  I rarely read or engage in these types of posts.  I guess it is my age.  I am so disappointed, that I now am venturing outside my comfort level to see if I am the only one disappointed with TCM.

I have watched TCM since it was first launched.  I fell in love instantly!  Before there were DVR's, there was TCM that was commercial free.  This was also an amazing place to watch the true classics.  These movies have seen me through some rough times and some great moments.  So over the past few months I have felt betrayed.

I understand that I must now accept that movies from the 60's and even 70's are considered old.  I understand that the station must move with the times.  BUT .........  I am so disgusted by some of the programming of late.  Specifically, the raunchy, x-rated documentaries that were aired.  This channel has always been family friendly.  Now that they are airing more recent movies, I must now set an alert for the language and content warnings.

I want my TCM back!!  For the first time, I am now trying to locate another source for my true classics.  I have always spent more for my cable because I want TCM.  At this point, I am considering dropping it.  There are more movies in color than black & white.  Is anyone else feeling like this or is this my age showing?  Let me know .....

• Like 1

Perhaps this has been a discussion already.  I rarely read or engage in these types of posts.  I guess it is my age.  I am so disappointed, that I now am venturing outside my comfort level to see if I am the only one disappointed with TCM.

I have watched TCM since it was first launched.  I fell in love instantly!  Before there were DVR's, there was TCM that was commercial free.  This was also an amazing place to watch the true classics.  These movies have seen me through some rough times and some great moments.  So over the past few months I have felt betrayed.

I understand that I must now accept that movies from the 60's and even 70's are considered old.  I understand that the station must move with the times.  BUT .........  I am so disgusted by some of the programming of late.  Specifically, the raunchy, x-rated documentaries that were aired.  This channel has always been family friendly.  Now that they are airing more recent movies, I must now set an alert for the language and content warnings.

I want my TCM back!!  For the first time, I am now trying to locate another source for my true classics.  I have always spent more for my cable because I want TCM.  At this point, I am considering dropping it.  There are more movies in color than black & white.  Is anyone else feeling like this or is this my age showing?  Let me know .....

of course they're slackers!...

they haven't shown Hot Spell. :)

Yes, this topic has been broached before, in fact many, many times. The truth is TCM has always shown films from a variety of decades, genres and countries. One of the more encyclopedic members can inform you of the original mission statement of the channel, which included "newer" films, as well as the hard facts of how many films from how many eras have aired since the channel began. It's roughly the same as it has always been, and it is still predominantly films from the studio, or classic, pre-1965 era. Looking at the schedule for tomorrow, in example, there are no films newer than 1960.

Unfortunately, no channel is going to show what any one viewer wants to see all of the time, 

• Like 7

Yes, this topic has been broached before, in fact many, many times. The truth is TCM has always shown films from a variety of decades, genres and countries. One of the more encyclopedic members can inform you of the original mission statement of the channel, which included "newer" films, as well as the hard facts of how many films from how many eras have aired since the channel began. It's roughly the same as it has always been, and it is still predominantly films from the studio, or classic, pre-1965 era. Looking at the schedule for tomorrow, in example, there are no films newer than 1960.

Unfortunately, no channel is going to show what any one viewer wants to see all of the time, 

when is TCM gonna show The Pit and the Pendulum from 1991?

Oliver Reed gets bricked up by lance hendricksen. :D

• Like 2

As the other posters have said, this is a recurring topic.  It has been thrashed out in loooong discussions, the debate going back and forth, until MovieCollectorOH, I believe it was, presented a statistical analysis demonstrating that the studio/post-studio era movie ratio has remained the same since the beginning.  Of course, there are newer and newer movies, as time passes, just not more of them.

• Like 2

Good comment, and hopefully the original poster has read it and taken it to heart. 

Because this happens so often around here and there will likely be another thread on the same subject in a month-- I think we need to understand why people feel this way. In this case, the documentaries seem to be triggering it. It's because people do not think non-fiction films are on the same level or equal to fictional stories. It's like going into a library and demanding that all the biographies and autobiographies be thrown out because we should only make room for bestselling novels or comic books. 

Variety is what TCM offers, and that should not change.

Also, some people seem to practice narrow-mindedness when it comes to foreign films and post-code movies. Ironically, they never complain about foreign actors in Hollywood movies (or about Hollywood classics based on original foreign films); and they never complain about pre-codes (because those are in black-and-white?). 

I think people should reconsider what film is all about. It should challenge us to step outside our comfort zones. It should teach us more about life and people of different cultures. Film should pull us out of our isolation. And I strongly urge the complainers to look at TCM's programming with greater tolerance and a better understanding of the channel's mission.

• Like 8

Yes, TCM has gone a dramatic change in what it shows. Many more newer, non-studio era movies than shown before. I'd say mostly over the past year. The usual critics will try to shut you down and say it's no different than before. THEY'RE WRONG!

@rover27 & alpha:

I don't dispute that certain changes have been made to the schedule over the years.  I have however produced an in-depth series of reports which enable you to see at a glance the quantitative numbers in movies shown (grouped by production decade and tabulated for each year aired on TCM from 2002 and up). 

You can see these reports if you click on my signature.  There are some subtle yet significant differences between my different reports, but everything is explained.  This wasn't really my intention when putting this tool together, but Reports #1 and #2 should be substantial enough to dispel myth or settle disputes like this.

• Like 2

I don't dispute that certain changes have been made to the schedule over the years.  

I think what's changed is the way the themes are presented. They're more timely. During the campaign and election months, there was a lot more political programming. In February, there will be more Oscar tie-ins. In the last two summers, there has been a partnership with Ball State University. The recent documentary spotlight is helping them launch FilmStruck, where those nonfiction film will be available for online streaming.

They still seem to be reusing a lot of the same MGM, WB, RKO and UA titles Ted Turner acquired, but they are arranging them in ways that promote goals which go beyond TCM's daily broadcast schedule. Those who are not on-board with such an agenda are going to "feel disappointed."

• Like 2

Well yes TCM is changing...however I believe there is a pithy quote out there about change and certainty so complaining won't do much to keep change at bay.   Actually in reference to the documentaries I actually watched quite a few as I enjoy getting some history from films and what I wouldn't do to see a month of "March of Time" presentations that used to show in the movie theatres.  You really had a good view of mid 20th century history through those films however they were rather over the top at times and in some cases production was fabricated.....and March of Time gave rise to PBS's "POV" series with the same sonorous voice over. 

I won't complain about TCM changing...because for all the whingers out there...don't forget you have a remote with a channel changer and an on/off button as well as access to Amazon Prime and DVD's....so pick and choose just as others do. 

I was hoping for a New Year's Eve of MGM musicals to swing in the New Year or as around my house...another Old Year, but I have a complete box of 10 Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies and my own set of Agatha Christie BBC mysteries...so I am all set with my Champagne and caviar (or most likely chopped chicken liver) on crackers. 

Happy New Year

• Like 3

It's Ball State University.

There is no Ball University.

Ugh!

You've made this error before.

Sounds like you're a bit stressed out. I do not recall making that error before but I appreciate your willingness to be a proofreader. Usually my thoughts are going faster than my ability to get it on screen. So if I miss one word, hardly the end of the world, I'm sure people will understand. I've gone back and corrected it which is what your post could have kindly asked me to do. 

Sorry, but I'M gonna stay out o' THIS go-around of this old reoccurring lament we see on a regular basis around here.

Ya see, I've discovered that THIS topic is pretty much like the topic of POLITICS, and because no matter how ya attempt to present some others with the FACTS, you're NEVER in a million freakin' years gonna get 'em to see how their perceptions of things might NOT be the way things truly are.

(...and ALSO btw, the VERY reason I've recently started spending a hell of lot less time over in that Off-Topic forum)

• Like 2

I won't complain about TCM changing...because for all the whingers out there...don't forget you have a remote with a channel changer and an on/off button as well as access to Amazon Prime and DVD's....so pick and choose just as others do. 

Exactly. It's easy to find different things to watch in the meantime. 

Happy New Year to you also!

Sorry, but I'M gonna stay out o' THIS go-around of this old reoccurring lament we see on a regular basis around here.

Ya see, I've discovered that THIS topic is pretty much like the topic of POLITICS, and because no matter how ya attempt to present some others with the FACTS, you're NEVER in a million freakin' years gonna get 'em to see how their perceptions of things might NOT be the way things truly are.

(...and ALSO btw, the VERY reason I've recently started spending a hell of lot less time over in that Off-Topic forum)

So of us miss you over there. Your humor livens things up when it gets too heavy.

Some of us miss you over there. Your humor livens things up when it gets too heavy.

Thanks Lawrence. I appreciate your thought here.

(...but then again of course, because you and I usually share the same opinion about things, it's probably a good thing you started your thought with "some of us", huh) ;)

Yes, TCM has gone a dramatic change in what it shows. Many more newer, non-studio era movies than shown before. I'd say mostly over the past year. The usual critics will try to shut you down and say it's no different than before. THEY'RE WRONG!

It isn't the usual critics that will try to shut you down but data.    Look at the actual data!

Those who are not on-board with such an agenda are going to "feel disappointed."

That so beautifully encapsulates my particular disappointment.

Yes. The machinations of the new (well, relatively recently new) "rebranding" management of TCM are quite often at odds with the direction I had personally hoped they would take when it came time for TCM to move forward.

• Like 1

That so beautifully encapsulates my particular disappointment.

Yes. The machinations of the new (well, relatively recently new) "rebranding" management of TCM are quite often at odds with the direction I had personally hoped they would take when it came time for TCM to move forward.

Can you clarify a bit more? What would you like to see TCM management do exactly?

What we may be seeing is the gradual death of television altogether (following the gradual death of radio and motion pictures as we knew them in their original 20th century formats) in favor of the internet "viewer's market". TCM and many of the Old Guard networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) are focusing increasingly on websites and making specific TV shows and movies available with commercial advertising (as with TV) to help support them. In this way, nobody has to complain about "nothing worth watching" at any given hour. You just look up a TV show you are curious about online and watch it on a website. This is the era of the "app".

Every one of us is an individual with our own tastes, so no TV network will please everybody. I am OK with nudity in documentaries myself (since you can only hide your kiddies from seeing... gasp!!!... an adult naked body for only a few years at most anyway, TV or no TV). Mind you, I don't like watching surgical operations with all the blood and guts involved although such material is likely very educational and even life saving. One thing that I am not fond of at all is the Merry Christmas crap that prompts me to keep the TV off throughout November and December. I especially hate all of those godawful commercials featuring The Happy Nuclear Heteronormal Family celebrating the Gift Getting Season with no worry about paying any bills. Also this past presidential election has made TV all the more worse. Only TCM provides you any escape from... from... HIM. You see HIM virtually everywhere else on your TV channel galaxy. TCM just has Alec Baldwin as an occasional host without going into his Saturday Night Live impersonation of... of... well... HIM.

These days, I mostly just use the TV to play DVDs anyway.

• Like 4

...Only TCM provides you any escape from... from... HIM. You see HIM virtually everywhere else on your TV channel galaxy. TCM just has Alec Baldwin as an occasional host without going into his Saturday Night Live impersonation of... of... well... HIM.

Hey JL!

Rupert Holmes just called and said he'll be waitin' for his royalty check from you now! ;)

(...get IT?!...he had that hit pop song back in the early-...oh never mind)

• Like 2

What we may be seeing is the gradual death of television altogether (following the gradual death of radio and motion pictures as we knew them in their original 20th century formats) in favor of the internet "viewer's market".  

I agree. I think FilmStruck is a perfect example. I spent a few hours studying the website and its content yesterday afternoon. I think there are a lot of hints in the way the programming is being offered through that service-- and how it is all being organized-- which suggests the wave of the future; probably signaling other web venues like it that will carry what TCM does now forward online.

Since they did not call it "Turner Struck" I would even go so far as to say Turner Classics will be dropped as a brand name at some point. 

• Like 1

Hey JL!

Rupert Holmes just called and said he'll be waitin' for his royalty check from you now! ;)

(...get IT?!...he had that hit pop song back in the early-...oh never mind)

I did have to refresh my memory by looking him up. Ha ha! Apparently that song wasn't on my ipod. Neither was ESCAPE... although I certainly need that!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings