Find results in...

Happy 80th Birthday to Mary Tyler Moore

noah80

Hope she survive  what's left of  this deadly 2016. :unsure:

Happy Birthday. :)

Recent photo.

article-2302636-1907593B000005DC-959_306

OH ROOOOBBBBB...err...I mean Ham!

Now did you REALLY have to post that most unflattering picture of Mary here?! 

Now, I know everybody, if they're lucky, grows old eventually, but couldn't you have found somethin' more like THIS more recent shot of her instead?...

MTE5NDg0MDU1MDc2ODMyNzgz.jpg

Of course then again, I'll always prefer to think of her in THIS way...the foxiest wife any sitcom husband was lucky to have back in the '60s...

mary_tyler_moore_.jpg

(...happy birthday, Mary!)

Yeah, like I once mentioned in some other thread, a local TV critic once quipped, "The success of The Dick Van Dyke Show can largely be contributed to millions of MEN tuning in to see MARY TYLER MOORE galivant around in those form fitting CAPRI PANTS!"  ;)

Indeed.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mary.  Many "Moore" of them too.

Sepiatone

OH ROOOOBBBBB...err...I mean Ham!

Now did you REALLY have to post that most unflattering picture of Mary here?!

Now, I know everybody, if they're lucky, grows old eventually, but couldn't you have found somethin' more like THIS more recent shot of her instead?...

MTE5NDg0MDU1MDc2ODMyNzgz.jpg

Of course then again, I'll always prefer to think of her in THIS way...the foxiest wife any sitcom husband was lucky to have back in the '60s...

mary_tyler_moore_.jpg

(...happy birthday, Mary!)

Mary's had diabetes for over 40 years - - but I think the deterioration of her looks has more to do with bad plastic surgery.

I remember seeing her on Larry King with Dick Van Dyke which now must have been about twenty years ago and she looked nice. But she was complaining about getting old and looking old.

Whereas Dick Van Dyke said it didn't bother him in the slightest. So Dick Van Dyke didn't go down the plastic surgery road and today he looks like an older man, but he still looks like Dick Van Dyke, just a little older with white hair.

After seeing what plastic surgery has done to so many people who were given such beautiful natural looks - - many of them probably would have been alot smarter just to age naturally. ( Kenny Rogers and Lee Grant-- just to name 2).

marytylermooreshow_zpssevmntcy.jpg

I love that shot with the older lady looking on representing the past & Mary representing the future. As a young girl growing up with a 50's Mom and older teen brothers, I was exposed to both generations idea of an American woman. 

And I don't think we can overstate MTM's importance to our culture. While many "stars" just read the lines of someone else has written, Mary Tyler Moore was part of her show's inception. The show was about a woman like her, so the stars aligned on that project.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show defined & illustrated what a woman could be. She fleshed out Mary Richards to be a kind, wonderful, decent working girl who could be choosy about who she settled down with - her life was hers.

All that after being a 60's housewife on the Dick Van Dyke Show. We certainly loved her as childlike Laura Petrie, but Mary Tyler Moore personifies successful adulthood for American women.

Thank you Mary. You're beautiful inside & out!

• Like 1

Mary Tyler Moore remains a television legend thanks to her participation in two similarly legendary TV sitcoms.

With Dick Van Dyke as Rob and she as Laura, they were television's version of the Kennedys. It was very easy to image Rob and Laura snuggling up in the bedroom together. Amidst the sophisticated (at least, for its time) humour, they were a sexy screen couple. But, to be sure, the lion's share of that sexiness came from the presence of Mary Tyler Moore.

When she got her own show a few years later MTM was allowed even greater scope as a superb comedienne. But there was a wholesome warmth and decency that the actress brought to the role of Mary Richards, as well, that made her America's Sweetheart.

I also have to agree with Dargo's comment about Ham's selection of that photo of Mary. It seems like a deliberate cheap shot at the lady, since we all have photos of ourselves not at our best. Why post that particular one?

Here's the Mary that many of us will always remember with affection, with one of the great once in a lifetime TV sitcom casts . . .

MTM2_L.jpg

Happy Birthday, Mary! You'll always be a doll to me.

• Like 1

I also have to agree with Dargo's comment about Ham's selection of that photo of Mary. It seems like a deliberate cheap shot at the lady, since we all have photos of ourselves not at our best. Why post that particular one?

Happy Birthday, Mary! You'll always be a doll to me.

These kind of replies demontrates how we (as Americans) have a problem with aging.  The picture was taken at LAX in 2015 showing Mary how she actually is. That is the REAL Mary - how she really looks not what we want cosmetically dressed over.

It's sad we can't accept aging in itself, it's a part of life.  The photo of Zsa Zsa Gabor bed ridden in her last years is also unsettling.  I'll do you all a favor and not post it.

Here is Cher at 70 without and with makeup.

b47a55b39d2c1938004d51c53ef8c372.jpg

Edited by hamradio

These kind of replies demontrates how we (as Americans) have a problem with aging.  The picture was taken at LAX in 2015 showing Mary how she actually is. That is the REAL Mary - how she really looks not what we want cosmetically dressed over.

It's sad we can accept aging in itself, it's a part of life.  The photo of Zsa Zsa Gabor bed ridden in her last years is also unsettling.  I'll do you all a favor and not post it.

I think this thread is intended as a happy birthday celebration from fans of a star. Call it sentimental, if you will, not a thread looking for a blast of reality about aging.

I've seen a photo of a bed ridden Zsa Zsa near the end. If it's the one I've seen, thanks for not posting it here.

It's sad we can accept aging in itself, it's a part of life.  The photo of Zsa Zsa Gabor bed ridden in her last years is also unsettling.  I'll do you all a favor and not post it.

Having worked at LAX for many many years, ham, trust me here, it wasn't just the aged and former beauties who sometimes didn't look their best while traveling by air. I remember interacting with a few younger celebs who weren't wearing any makeup and not all dolled up, and I remember thinking to myself something like, "Wow, you're really pretty average lookin', aren't ya". And Mary in that pic you posted seemed to have been caught by some photographer in a look of total surprise AND isn't wearing a lick of makeup to boot.

I mean, c'mon here. This is the advantage women have always had over us men. They're "allowed" by societal convention to wear makeup and make themselves "prettier" than they actually are.

(...and whereas unless we men are as naturally good lookin' as I AM, then you're pretty much SOL in this department, dude!!!)

LOL

;)

Having worked at LAX for many many years, ham, trust me here, it wasn't just the aged and former beauties who sometimes didn't look their best while traveling by air. I remember interacting with a few younger celebs who weren't wearing any makeup and not all dolled up, and I remember thinking to myself something like, "Wow, you're really pretty average lookin', aren't ya". And Mary in that pic you posted seemed to have been caught by some photographer in a look of total surprise AND isn't wearing a lick of makeup to boot.

I mean, c'mon here. This is the advantage women have always had over us men. They're "allowed" by societal convention to wear makeup and make themselves "prettier" than they actually are.

(...and whereas unless we men are as naturally good lookin' as I AM, then you're pretty much SOL in this department, dude!!!)

LOL

;)

..and that's why I do as much spinning as I do.

..and that's why I do as much spinning as I do.

Wait! I didn't know doin' all that spinnin' stuff makes a guy's FACE lookin' better than what he's naturally stuck with?!!!

Nope, just thought it just helps keep the REST of him in shape!

(...well, live and learn, eh?!)

I love Mary Tyler Moore.  While I do appreciate and enjoy her performances as Laura on The Dick Van Dyke Show, for me, my favorite "Mary" is Mary Richards on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  Mary Richards is one of my heroes.

Mary Richards was one of the first female characters who was independent and was happy without a man.  Sure, Mary Richards dated a lot during the course of the show and came close to getting engaged (to That Girl's boyfriend) but ultimately, none of the relationships worked out for a variety of reasons.  I was so glad that they ended the show without marrying off Mary.  I liked that she was depicted as successful being on her own.  Sure, she wasn't rich, but she could afford all her basic bills and have money left over to do fun things like dates, movies and shopping.  Mary held a management position in the office and came into her own in the production and development of the WJM 6 O'Clock News.  

Mary's shtick was embarrassment.  Her humor came from being embarrassed about different situations she found herself in.  She was sometimes too nice, or too timid, much to best friend Rhoda's chagrin.  Mary, unlike Lucy Ricardo, just wanted to do her thing and fly under the radar.  She didn't want to attract attention to herself.  Whereas, Lucy Ricardo (arguably the #1 female television character ever, followed by Mary Richards), was outrageous and had no sense of shame.  Whatever she could do to get what she wanted, she'd do with no qualms.  When Mary would finally muster up enough nerve to make a scene, it usually backfired.  

What made 'Mary Tyler Moore' resonate with me, is that Mary's situations were relate-able and she was a positive female role model.  In my favorite episode, "Put on a Happy Face," Mary Richards has the week from hell.  She spills coffee on her new white sweater, she slips on the floor and sprains her ankle, she gets a cold from soaking her foot, her dress for the Teddy Awards is stained, she has to go to the award show wearing a yellow raincoat and one slipper and one shoe.  She promptly steps in a puddle in her slipper.  She's an absolute mess and who cannot relate to that? 

29fzb7q.jpg

Another great episode is one where Mary discovers that the man who previously had her job made $50 more a week than she does.  When she confronts Lou, he very nonchalantly tells her that the reason she's paid less is because she's a woman.  Despite Mary doing a better job than the man ever did, Lou refuses to give her equal pay.  She ends up taking a stand against him and by the end of the episode, Mary is getting the pay that she deserves.  Women receiving equal pay for equal work is still a current issue.

Mary's ugly dress in a season 5 episode, "You Try to Be a Nice Guy" also cracks me up:

4ubh1j.jpg

I absolutely love Mary Tyler Moore and appreciate the contribution that she has made to television.

I was very sad when my seasons of 'Mary Tyler Moore' were damaged in my flooded basement.  I have good versions now of season 2 & season 7, but still have to replace season 1 and seasons 3-6. 

• Like 3

By the way, that's NOT an ugly dress.

Just ask Ted Baxter.

Or me.

1258944554_1.jpg

I love the color of the dress.  If I were tall like Mary and had a stomach like Mary, then maybe? But it's pretty tacky.

However, I wholeheartedly agree with you that Ted Baxter was the star of this scene.  

"I'M MAKING YOU NERVOUS?! YOU'RE MAKING ME CRAZY!"

"Ted, you're wrinkling your diploma."

(Ted throws his diploma on the floor)

"I DON'T CARE!"

• Like 2

LOL

Yeah, Ted's reaction to her dress was priceless, wasn't it Tom!

It was almost like one of Tex Avery's wolves here...278a5c90495c72b099abb022a9f0c4ac.jpg

Ted Knight is what makes the scene.

Another funny part is the end, when Lou knocks on the door.  Mary, still wearing "the dress," decides to play a joke on Lou.  She opens the door, leans back and says something like "hey big fella" in a husky voice.  The look on Lou's face is hilarious. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings