Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should Leonard Maltin be considered as a future TCM host/co-host?

Well, I'd like to thank everyone for their opinions and input, and especially for that photo which is bound to give me nightmares for weeks... ;)

Seriously, I think that whoever gets picked as the next TCM host *should* have some fairly good movie knowledge. We don't want just another pretty face that's good at reading the teleprompter.

My impression is that Time Warner *does* want TCM to be regarded as a channel that's knowledgeable about films and that has hosts who can really appreciate classic cinema and have at least as much knowledge about classic films as a dedicated film buff.

But really, isn't that all that Robert Osborne and Josh Mankiewicz do is read the teleprompter? I don't see why anyone couldn't do the same job. Now, if they are going to have a discussion with another person about a certain film, then I'd say they need to be knowledgeable, but just to introduce a film, I would say a child could do it just as good.

My answer to the question is no.

It seems to me that TCM has had more guest programmers in 2006 than previous, and from that, I would assume they are looking for someone. RO is not getting younger, and he, himself may have suggested a slow down, so possibly these guest people are attempts at finding the correct person.

BTW, watching my daughters' 'On Demand', that is another role RO plays in addition to all of his other TCM chores. He does the intro for On Demand movies.

Anne

There's nothing wrong with Leonard Maltin. He has background, experience,

and a recognition factor, but his personality is just not as appealing as others in my humble opinion. He just doesn't have the WELCOME factor.

I think I'll jump on the Paul Newman bandwagon.

Let me know when the new thread starts, and I'll try and find it.

I'm all in favour of Leonard Maltin doing regular hosting duties. As I said in the other thread he has a love for classic film and animation and I think he'd do a wonderful job giving us some facts and insights in a unique way.

Since it seems so many of you don't like his style maybe they should look for someone less nebbish and in your face but I personally like Maltin's screen persona although he always seemed kinda nerdy (i'm talking about his Entertainment Tonight days)

As for Gene Shalit....NOOOOOOOO!! I had nightmares of him when I was a kid and i've seen some of his "reviews" on GMA. Let's just say the reviews are so devoid of information that even though you see some extended clips you'd still be going to the movie "blind" so to speak.

Leonard Maltin would be perfect for host.He's knowledgeable,has a vast documented background,and comes across as the movies the important thing here not him.Gene Shalit meanwhile comes across as cartoonist and needs to project himself and his personality.

I'd be very surprised if Robert Osborne wrote all his intros himself. It would be so time consuming. Hopefully, he has some input, but I would think somewbody actually writes them for him.

There was another thread where it was discussed that he tapes all of his stuff in a day or two each month. That's anywhere from 100-150 intros a month, not to mention promos and whatever. If that's the case, he'd certainly also have to use a TelePrompter if for no other reason than to keep track of which one he was doing.

> Leonard Maltin would be perfect for host.He's

> knowledgeable,has a vast documented background,and

> comes across as the movies the important thing here

> not him.Gene Shalit meanwhile comes across as

> cartoonist and needs to project himself and his

> personality.

I would agree with that :)

I'm gonna put in a vote for a local favorite, Gary Cogill. He's very personable, humorous, loves movies and has fun on camera. Just the kind of guy you'd like to watch a movie with. He said once that he became a film critic because he hates critics for always being so full of themselves, or words to that effect.

I couldn't find anything other than this YouTube clip to give y'all an idea of what he's like on screen, and it's not exactly the kind of thing he would be doing as a TCM host, but it gives an idea of his personality. I really like him.

...(by the way, I agree wholeheartedly that the job doesn't necessarily require that has a command of film history).

Of course the host of a classic movie channel should have a knowledge of film history. Otherwise, we're hiring nothing more than a "spokesmodel."

There will be times when the host is interviewing classic stars and, I don't know, call me picky, but I'd prefer it if he knew what the hell he was talking about.

> I think I'll jump on the Paul Newman bandwagon.

> Let me know when the new thread starts, and I'll try

> and find it.

I agree as much as the next person that Paul Newman would make a great TCM host, but if the idea is finding someone to replace Robert Osborne because of his age, then maybe hiring someone five years older isn't exactly the right route...

Just something to think about...

(PS. In my opinion, TCM hosting should be like the Supreme Court-- lifetime appointment. I really don't want Mr. Osborne to retire!)

I liked Liz Smith when Robert Osborne invited her to choose some of her favorite movies. Again, the issue of how long would she stick around as host must be considered.

Robert Osborne is irreplaceable. Maybe, we could just have the voice of the guy who used to do the "Today In Classic Movie" bit...you know, the fellow with the "Extra! Read All About It!" voice.

Poindexter

Funny, I was laughing at the talk of Leonard Maltin replacing Robert Osbourne, because I thought they were close in age! Silly me! Leonard is 18 years younger. Mr. Maltin definitely is a classic film buff, though you wouldn't know it with the role he has on E.T. nowadays.

I met Mr. Maltin once briefly at a Media Play when he was signing copies of a new edition of his book, circa 1994. No web, so I wanted to ask him a question about a movie I had long wondered about, 1934's Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back. All I knew is it had been withdrawn from circulation. So, I asked him if it would ever be released on VHS, he said he didn't think is was too likely, told me briefly about the legal tangle with the film(Forget if it was with the book it was based on, or what) He couldn't have been nicer, and I figure if he knew about a film like that off the top of his head, he was the real deal, a hardcore film fan(And if he wasn't, why would he put the books out in the first place?)

Hope Robert Osbourne will do the hosting for a long, long time yet!

I also met Maltin on one of his book-signing tours.

I remember I'd just noticed that his entry for Powell & Pressburger's I Know Where I'm Going! was missing the exclamation mark (this was in the early 90's).

I mentioned it to him and he was very gracious and made a note of it. The omission was promptly corrected in the next edition of his guide! :)

I agree with those who find Leonard Maltin's voice and demeanor, irritating.

Why can't they have a behind-the-scenes prompter. Someone who would do the research for the host? In this day and age, how hard can that be?

Of course, one gets spoiled having Robert Osborne as the host for so long.

Leonard's got a pretty full plate already, and I don't know that TCM has the kind of money in its budget to persuade him to take on extra workload.

Maltin is a genuinely upbeat personality (it's not an act), and his enthusiasm for a film, and all films, infuses everything he does. I suppose that's not to everyone's taste, but one thing that's been Leonard's hallmark is his devotion to accuracy in the information he imparts. Frankly, that would be a welcome change from the current regime at TCM (this past Saturday, after the channel's screening of John Ford's magnificent THEY WERE EXPENDABLE, Ben Mankiewicz, in touching on Robert Montgomery's subsequent directing career, referred to his directing and starring in the detective film "Lady of the Lake"; the film's title is, in fact, LADY IN THE LAKE -- "Lady of the Lake" being, of course, an element in Tennyson's poem Idylls of the King, about the Arthurian Legend. You'd think somebody would've caught the mistake before they put the tape in the can).

I would agree that his schedule might be pretty full atm, doesn't he teach a class at UCLA presently? But at any rate, he might be willing to be a co-host or host only specific segments -- he loves animation, and he'd be great at presenting the cartoons! :)

As for his being genuinely cheerful and enthusiastic, not just in front of the camera, I can attest to that as well. I think it's a product of growing up in the right kind of environment in the 50's. :)