Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should Leonard Maltin be considered as a future TCM host/co-host?

> Maltin would be fine, I like Ebert also, if his

> health holds up.

Pardon me for asking but what health problems does Ebert have these days? I'm just curious.

BTW I had no clue that Leonard Maltin was so divisive a figure! He seems like the perfect consensus pick to me. If you guys don't want him to be a full time host I hope that he's looked at to introduce Cartoon Alley.

Roger Ebert was hospitalized last summer and hasn't been back full-time since then. He's written a few reviews in the last few months, but the majority of the reviews on his website for new releases are now written by his editor Jim Emerson.

The latest update about Ebert's health was posted shortly after New Year's Day:

It's been some time since I checked in to let you know how I'm doing. I had hoped to be back in my seat in the balcony alongside my partner Richard Roeper, but the surgeons tell me they will have to take a staged, multi-phased approach to getting me back in shape. To borrow from the Chicago Bears, we tried for the long pass, but now we're going for a series of shorter passes until we score a touchdown.

Although I won't be able to conduct my red carpet interviews at the Academy Awards, I plan to conduct my "Outguess Ebert" contest in the Sun-Times, and I intend to work with WLS/ABC 7 to make my predictions for the Oscars. In fact, I am eagerly awaiting watching the Academy Awards like a regular spectator for the first time. And Richard and the guest hosts will carry on our tradition on "Ebert & Roeper" of telling who they think should win.

As for the anti-Maltin sentiment... well, geez, I couldn't have imagined someone who absolutely loves movies (especially classic movies) and has always been a super nice person both in-camera and in person could possibly have so many people rooting against him....

My only theory is that sometimes, someone's success breeds jealousy and/or resentment in others. And whether you like him or dislike him, LM has been wildly successful with his guides, books, TV appearances, and occasional introductions for home video presentation of classic movies. Maybe some people think he's been too successful, but I personally think that's not unusual in America when someone loves what they do and they work very hard to try to be the best (or one of the best) at it.

But yeah, the whole notion of classic movie fans being spiteful towards someone who is so closely associated with love for classic cinema strikes me as... paradoxical! :)

Considering that there was a questioned posed, I would think that a negative reponse would be an acceptable answer. Just because he "loves" movies, isn't really enough, in my opinion. I find him rather dreary and not very interesting. I'm very happy with the two current hosts of TCM. As for registering just to comment on this thread (or, under different names), you obviously haven't noticed my participation in other threads, as well. How boring the thread would be, if everyone posted, "he'd be a great host!" What would be the point?

Sorry the comment wasn't aimed at any one post in particular, just a general sensation that there are a lot of recently registered people taking potshots at LM. And I'm not saying I expected complete and total agreement; I am simply surprised by the degree of animosity expressed in some posts (again, talking about it in general terms).

Why does it surprise me so?

Maybe simply because LM seems to me as polite, genial, and enthusiastic about movies as RO is -- just a little younger.

And yeah, sure, you could say that some people don't much like RO, either. I probably wouldn't like him if he didn't come across as a nice man on-screen, and if he hadn't been so closely involved with the movie industry for so many decades...

Cinemascope, I think the votes re Maltin are fairly split down the middle. It is possible you might be sensitive to criticism of LM because you like him. As you know, I can't stand anything about him so I am in the camp that is totally against him. I guess he is one of those people where people either love him or hate him, with very little middle ground. It's like liver, either you love it or hate it. I think it comes down as to how each of us perceives Maltin.

You perceive him as polite, genial, and enthusiastic about movies. To me, he is knowledgeable but he is too over-enthusiastic, or as I like to phrase it, "too much in your face". I like Osborne because he is well-dressed, calm, and dignified. While I find Maltin to act like he is an obsessed fan.

I've seen both in person. I met Robert Osborne at a film collector's convention where he was looking at one seller's autographed pictures. We got talking for a few moments, and he was as friendly and polite as he is on TCM. I've also seen Maltin in person, and remember him at Clayton Moore's funeral. I feel he is not the best dresser in the world, but a lot of it has to be his weight. He also had a way of giving off the feeling that he was more privileged and deserved to get in places the rest of us shouldn't.

Again, remember, these are just my perceptions. One person can look at someone and see a standoffish snob. Another person can look at him and see someone who is shy.

Yes I realize perceptions can vary greatly.

But even after carefully reading your last post I don't see anything hugely different between LM and RO aside of course from the outer appearance. Maybe there would be a difference in person, but most TCM viewers won't be meeting the hosts in person.

I'm not saying LM is the best and obvious choice, just saying he's one of the many people who should at least be considered.

Wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't much interested, anyhow.

Oh, but to me, there is an enormous difference between LM's over-exhuberant, know-it-all demeanor, and RO's genial, knowledgeable host. But, that's my perception. I would actually stop watching TCM movie intros, if LM were hosting them.

Yes, this is what I was trying to get across to Cinemascope. There is a large difference in styles in presenting themselves between Osborne and Maltin, sort of like the difference between Laurence Olivier and Jerry Lewis (I am sure I can come up with a much more reasonable analogy than Jerry Lewis, but he was the first to come to mind).

Cinemascope, the knowledge could be equal, but the presenting styles are greatly different between the two. That's why the camps are divided.

I guess another analogy would be that Maltin is AMC, loud and brashy, and Osborne is TCM, dignified and polite.

And I think Maltin would take the gig in a flash. Who wouldn't?

Well filmlover, for what it's worth, I think it's not unusual to have hosts and news anchors adapt new delivery techniques when they make a transition to new programs or channels.

I'm sure if LM *were* selected, they'd probably try to have a little bit of feedback from TCM viewers and possibly ask LM to "tone it down" a little with his intros, so as to not appear *too* enthusiastic. :)

You know, even though Ebert's apparently only 65, sometimes he's appeared to me to be much older, possibly due to his health complications. I sure wish him a great recovery, but as anyone else facing serious health problems, sometimes early retirement or semi-retirement may be the best thing for one's health.

> You know, even though Ebert's apparently only 65,

> sometimes he's appeared to me to be much older,

> possibly due to his health complications. I sure wish

> him a great recovery, but as anyone else facing

> serious health problems, sometimes early retirement

> or semi-retirement may be the best thing for one's

> health.

Honestly I think most of it had to do with his being overweight for the longest time. Didn't he recently get the same procedure that Star Jones and others had to reduce the weight?

Oh better keep it on topic. Um......If he were alive I bet Gene Siskel would be a great TCM host. I don't think he was that deep into classic films tho. I could be wrong.

Did you mean "Chuck E. Cheese"?

Well, never been to one myself, but I hear they are great for the whole family. Maybe LM would be appealing to a wider age group than RO? :)

Well like I said, I'm sure if LM were selected they'd coach him to make him fit in better with the expectations of people used to RO. ;)

> I'm sure Leonard Maltin would be thrilled to know

> there is a thread devoted just to him. I think this

> is the first time anyone has talked about him at such

> length.

You never know... LM or one of his assistant editors could be lurking.... ;)

> Honestly I think most of it had to do with his being

> overweight for the longest time. Didn't he recently

> get the same procedure that Star Jones and others had

> to reduce the weight?

From the wikipedia:

Battle with cancer

In 2002, Ebert suffered a bout of papillary thyroid cancer. He underwent surgery in February 2002, which successfully removed the cancer. He later underwent surgery in 2003 for cancer in his salivary gland. In December 2003, he underwent a four-week course of radiation treatment as a followup to the surgery on his salivary gland, which altered his voice slightly. He continued to review movies, not missing a single opening while undergoing treatment.

He underwent further surgery Friday, June 16, 2006, just two days before his 64th birthday, to remove cancer near his right jaw, including a section of jaw bone.

On July 1, 2006 Ebert was hospitalized in serious condition after an artery burst near the surgery site; he later discovered that the burst was likely a side-effect of his treatment, which involved neutron beam radiation. He was subsequently kept bed-ridden while a means was sought to prevent future arterial problems.

Ebert filmed enough TV programs with his co-host, Richard Roeper, to keep him on the air for several weeks. However, his extended convalescence has necessitated a series of "guest critics" to co-host with Roeper, including Jay Leno (a good friend to both Ebert and Roeper), Kevin Smith, John Ridley, Toni Senecal, Michael Phillips, Aisha Tyler, Fred Willard, Anne Thompson, and A.O. Scott.

An update from Ebert on October 11, 2006 confirmed his bleeding problems have been resolved. He is receiving rehabilitation care at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago to regain his lost muscle strength.

> You know, even though Ebert's apparently only 65,

> sometimes he's appeared to me to be much older,

> possibly due to his health complications. I sure wish

> him a great recovery, but as anyone else facing

> serious health problems, sometimes early retirement

> or semi-retirement may be the best thing for one's

> health.

Honestly I think most of it had to do with his being overweight for the longest time. Didn't he recently get the same procedure that Star Jones and others had to reduce the weight? >>

Roger Ebert has been battling thyroid cancer for quite a few years now. The disease has spread to other parts of his body and he has been in and out of remission over the years.

I've been tied up with personal issues and posting on other message boards, but I'd like to post a suggestion...

I'm a tremendous fan of a woman named Sherri Stoner. She has some acting experience (mostly in 80s TV and B-movies), was the model for Ariel from "The Little Mermaid" and Belle from "Beauty And The Beast", and, most importantly, wrote for the 90s cartoons "Animaniacs" and "Tiny Toon Adventures". With the shorts she wrote or co-wrote for those shows, she displayed a great sense of entertainment, writing cartoons that paid homage to everything from The Marx Brothers to "...When Harry Met Sally". She seems very knowledgable about movies and she's easy on the eyes. I would like to see her as a host.

Google her in the image search section, so you can see who I'm talking about.