Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where have I heard THAT before....?

Sepiatone

Lemme 'splane......

My local PBS staion has a Friday night feature called "Film Festival" on which they play pretty much a lot of the same "classic" movies we see on TCM.  And some NOT so "classic".

Last night I tuned into their presentation of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III....I'm sure most of you seen this one.

In it, they showed footage of a song that didn't make the "final cut" of THE HARVEY GIRLS.  A song called  "Dogies On The March".  An often repeated line in the song's lyric went like this......

"We Don't know where we're going but, we're ON OUR WAY!"

????

Sound familiar?

"Well I'm on my way, I don't know where I'm going/

I'm on my way...I'm taking my time, but I don't know where...."

--Paul Simon("Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard")

Since the song wasn't in the theatrical release of "The Harvey Girls"( according to the movie) then was it ever heard anywhere  on any outlet?   Or is it coincidence?

So, the GIST of this thread is...were/are there any  "rock/pop" tunes in the last 60 or so years that had any lyric that can be found and/or attributed to any song from a Hollywood movie musical?

And puh-LEEZ just post the name of the songs and the sample of the lyric, and DON'T waste time and space posting a slew of IRRELAVENT and USELESS YouTube clips!

Sepiatone

I have no idea if there's a connection, but there is a song called We Don't Know Where We're Going But We're On Our Way, ​written by W.R. Williams in 1917..sort of a 'send off' song for WWI I think.  Not aware of any recordings of it, however.

I have no idea if there's a connection, but there is a song called We Don't Know Where We're Going But We're On Our Way, ​written by W.R. Williams in 1917..sort of a 'send off' song for WWI I think.  Not aware of any recordings of it, however.

Could be where Johnny Mercer got his idea from.  I couldn't find a clip of the tune, so I don't know( but I doubt it) if Harry Warren got the idea for the music from it as well.  I also don't know how Warren worked ie:  Did he write the music first, and let the lyricist fill it in, or did he write music to fit the  lyrics.

'Rich Girl' by Gwen Stefani taken from 'If I were a Wealthy Man' out of Fiddler on the Roof. 

The MUSIC for Gwen's tune was certainly and unmistakenly taken from "rich Man", but it isn't what I'm referring to.  MY query was some lyric from  some movie tune  found some time later in some "hit" pop tune.  And possibly altered a bit, like in the Simon tune.

And I DON'T mean some movie tune  years later given the "pop" makeover.  Like "I Only Have Eyes For You" and "At Last" (music ALSO by Harry Warren).

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings