Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies


Recommended Posts

:D 

Y'know Joe, you coulda put all those in ONE POST?  ;) 

but funny thing about "California Sun".

In doing some research I have to take issue with Wikipedia's facts( big surprise, eh?  :rolleyes:)   

I bought the 45 of it when it came out 'round here, but Wiki has it as being from "64, however, I had that 45 while we were still living at the "old house" before moving a mile or so to another neighborhood in MAY of '63.  Which means I've had that disc before then ( pre '63 that is) And another funny thing....

Although the "B" side had a label with a different song printed on it, the single however, and probably due to some mix-up at the pressing plant, had "California Sun" on BOTH sides of the 45!  And too, Wiki had the song listed twice on the discography, both released in '64, but each having a different "B" side than the other! :o  And it's been so long since I've even seen that 45 that I don't recall the name of the song that was supposed to be on the flip side.  But I found THIS on YT, so maybe IT what I was missing all these years....?-----

 

 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And it's been so long since I've even seen that 45 that I don't recall the name of the song that was supposed to be on the flip side.  But I found THIS on YT, so maybe IT what I was missing all these years....?-----

In the same vein I remembered a flip side song yesterday but don't recall the A side. I don't recall its title but the songs refrain is:

"Give me that shimmy shiney shimerin'

Dancing and a jiggelin'

Hula Hula Dancing doll."

You'd think the title would be Hula Hula Dancing Doll but that brings up nothing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I tried a variety of different phrases from all that and got nowhere either.  And too in that sort of vein.....

I was listening to the old clock radio we had as kids before the timer shut it off and on one of those "make it or break it" segments, the DJ played a record by I don't know who that was titled, "Something Wrong With My Radio" that turned out to be nothing more than three minutes of what you would hear when you had your radio's tuner between two stations.  That stuck with me all these years( I couldn't say why) and like yours, can't find ANY info about it.  I'd say it was circa 1958.  :unsure:

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'know, I NEVER failed to give a listen to the "B" side of any 45 I got.  Sometimes, it was as good or maybe better than the side you bought it for. And in some cases, it would become as big a hit as the "A" side, as with most BEATLES singles.  I ran out the next morning after hearing "I Want To Hold your Hand" on the radio one night, and really dug the "flip-side" too, which was "I Saw Her Standing There".  And just a few short weeks later IT TOO became a #1 hit! B)  But I never DID (until recently) get to hear the "intended" B-side of "California Sun". 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Y'know, I NEVER failed to give a listen to the "B" side of any 45 I got.  Sometimes, it was as good or maybe better than the side you bought it for. And in some cases, it would become as big a hit as the "A" side, as with most BEATLES singles.  I ran out the next morning after hearing "I Want To Hold your Hand" on the radio one night, and really dug the "flip-side" too, which was "I Saw Her Standing There".  And just a few short weeks later IT TOO became a #1 hit! B)  But I never DID (until recently) get to hear the "intended" B-side of "California Sun". 

Sepiatone

Double sided hits were quite common in the 1950s and 60s.

The first one I can remember was Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog" with the flip side of "Don't Be Cruel" in 1956.

In 1964 The Beach Boys hit number one with "I Get Around" and the flipside "Don't Worry Baby" was in the top 10 too.

But sadly, most flip sides were trash-- just like most rock and roll albums of the 50s and early 60s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all subjective.  For example----

in the early '60's we were all taken with the BRIAN HYLAND ditty ITSY BITSY TEENY WEENY LITTLE POLKA DOT BIKINI .  I was no exception.  However, once obtaining the 45 I turned it over to the "B" side and wound up liking that tune much better.  Of course, over time the "shine" wore off of it, but I do recall playing that side more than the "bikini" recording.   It was----------

 

Hey!  Whaddya want?   It was 1960 and I was only 9!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 10:23 AM, Sepiatone said:

It's all subjective.  For example----

in the early '60's we were all taken with the BRIAN HYLAND ditty ITSY BITSY TEENY WEENY LITTLE POLKA DOT BIKINI .  I was no exception.  However, once obtaining the 45 I turned it over to the "B" side and wound up liking that tune much better.  Of course, over time the "shine" wore off of it, but I do recall playing that side more than the "bikini" recording.   It was----------

 

Hey!  Whaddya want?   It was 1960 and I was only 9!  ;) 

Sepiatone

"Bikini" was a popular gimmick song.

But as I remember, Brian Hyland had a nice record called "Sealed With a Kiss", not bad at all.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but do you recall the "B" side?  

Neither do I, but that's because I never had the 45!  :D  But looking into it the "B" side was a tune called "You're All there Is"  which YouTube doesn't even have a clip of!  :o

So we're SOL on that one.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, but do you recall the "B" side?  

Neither do I, but that's because I never had the 45!  :D  But looking into it the "B" side was a tune called "You're All there Is"  which YouTube doesn't even have a clip of!  :o

So we're SOL on that one.  ;) 

Sepiatone

This was about the time that I really liked Bobby Vee, Paul Anka and Dion Dimucci. Did guys like them too?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some perhaps.  For me it depended on the tune.  I liked "Stayin' In" by Vee.  Along with "Rubber Ball" and "Take Good care Of My Baby".   And too was( and still am a bit) a fan of Dion( we never used his last name in my bunch) both with the Belmonts and on his own.  His "cover" of "Ruby Baby"  is still a favorite, And to show his endurance, there's these two examples......

Then------

 

And now------ (with some other old fogey!  ;) )

 

Sepiatone  Oh, yeah------ Never cared for Anka. :( 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:o VAUTRIN!

Do you actually believe that tune WAS ever "forgotten"? 

More likely THIS "oldie" has been------  ('bout '63 if memory serves)

 

Sepiatone

I figure any song that old must have been forgotten by some people. And it was a bigger

hit in the U.K. than it was here. I always got a kick out of the lyrics. Ballad of the Thresher.

Doesn't sound like the title of a hit 45, though you never know.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...