Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I figure any song that old must have been forgotten by some people. And it was a bigger

hit in the U.K. than it was here. I always got a kick out of the lyrics. Ballad of the Thresher.

Doesn't sound like the title of a hit 45, though you never know.

Yep.  Hard to tell what'll "make it or break it" in the U.S.  Like this follow-up of The Thresher tune by the Trio...

Never exactly a "hit", but a fair selling single( and no doubt forgotten)  But for some reason,I always liked it! (still do  ;) )

NOTE:  The "remaster" was 1990, but it;s initial release was '63.

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yep.  Hard to tell what'll "make it or break it" in the U.S.  Like this follow-up of The Thresher tune by the Trio...

Never exactly a "hit", but a fair selling single( and no doubt forgotten)  But for some reason,I always liked it! (still do  ;) )

NOTE:  The "remaster" was 1990, but it;s initial release was '63.

Sepiatone

Not bad. Better than having Texas Pete hot sauce come out of the spigot. I wasn't really into 

The Kingston Trio, but my cousin was a big folk music fan, so I knew that on every family visit

there would be a brief aural assault of folk music.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I got into that early '60's "folk craze".  Would be glued to the tube whenever HOOTENANNY came on.  So much so I had to be amused by 1970 when everyone else thought they "discovered" Gordon Lightfoot due to "If You Could Read My Mind".  Some of them, when they came to my house, were treated to me pulling out my old "LIGHTFOOT" album from '66 and play this track, which many heard ME play and sing for a few years as well...  ;) Sadly, that old vinyl is long gone....  :( 

Sepiatone

I would be one of those who only heard of Gordon Lightfoot when he started to have hit

singles. I really like Gordon and have a few of his greatest hits CDs. My cousin was a Peter,

Paul, and Mary fan. He was always trying to turn other folks into PP&M fans, probably with

mixed results.

• Like 1

This is a bit outside my personal definition of an oldie, though by now it's pretty old.

I saw the news about Ric Ocasek late last night and meant to post about it but got

caught up with other stuff and forgot to do it. The Car were one of my favorite U.S.

new wave groups. Ric Ocasek, R.I.P. Wherever you is, let the good times roll.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Here's a kind of early Elvis "clone"  from '61-----

Sepiatone

I always thought that Conway Twitty was the most embarrassing copy of Elvis that I ever heard on top 40.

But later he actually recouped some individuality and became quite a country star, although he never really crossed over.

Yeah, Conway( from what I've read somewhere) was first being groomed to be the "next" Elvis by the label he was on, but later did become a major player in the country scene.  Cross-over?  Well, never to the point that top 40 "pop" stations played many of his singles, but he did garner appeal to people on both sides of the fence. 

And I won a free lunch knowing it was THIS guy and NOT Elvis who released this single in '64.  ( a guy had his radio in the plant tuned to the "oldies" station and this song came on.  A girl on the line asked him if it was Elvis, and he said, "Yes!".  I objected and the bet was on! )  I had the yellow Crusader labelled single and wore it to transparency!  :D 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

See?

Some white kids CAN keep a beat!! ;)

Sepiatone

Those "kids" are professional dancers who spent years perfecting their Craft.

There's nothing average about professional dancers, they work hard they study different techniques and they wouldn't be on a TV show if they weren't above-average in their profession.

And Word has it, that Fred Astaire could also dance to the beat too.

• Haha 1

Not forgotten however how many realize that the original song had two extra verses?

"A Whiter Shade of Pale" is the debut single by the British rock band Procol Harum, released 12 May 1967. The single reached number 1 in the UK Singles Chart on 8 June 1967 and stayed there for six weeks, it reached number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States.

With its Bach-derived instrumental melody, soulful vocals, and unusual lyrics – by the song's co-authors Gary Brooker, Keith Reid, and Matthew Fisher – "A Whiter Shade of Pale" reached number 1 in many countries when released in 1967. In the years since, it has become an enduring classic. It was the most played song in the last 75 years in public places in the UK (as of 2009),[7] and the United Kingdom performing rights group Phonographic Performance Limited in 2004 recognised it as the most-played record by British broadcasting of the past 70 years.[8] Also in 2004, Rolling Stone placed "A Whiter Shade of Pale" 57th on its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. (Wiki)

21 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Those "kids" are professional dancers who spent years perfecting their Craft.

There's nothing average about professional dancers, they work hard they study different techniques and they wouldn't be on a TV show if they weren't above-average in their profession.

And Word has it, that Fred Astaire could also dance to the beat too.

Well....D'OH!

Tell me.... How long does it take you to explain how the watch works when someone asks you for the time?  ;) 

My stepbrother would do that all the time....  Like one time years back the beginning of NBC's "Saturday Night At The Movies" opened with film footage of a montage of different theater marquees.  At one point I said( in all 9 year old innocence) that I thought the way the lights "moved" looked cool.  He spent the next half hour explaining about electrical circuitry and timed relay wiring.  All starting off with his typical condescending tone...."The lights aren't really moving..."  Whenever he'd do this sort of thing, i'd jab back at him with, "Why, you must be that life of the party I done heard about!"  :D   Of course, in my way I could be equally annoying.  Like, when he was going to U-M studying engineering, I'd often ask him, "Hey, Reggie,when you get to be an engineer,  can I ride up in the engine with you and toot the whistle?"  :D   It took him a DOZEN TIMES going through that BS until he finally learned to just say, "Man, cut it out!" instead of spending all that time explaining what engineering was:rolleyes:

But don't take it too much to heart PRINCESS.  Got nothin' but love for ya.  :) 

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well....D'OH!

Tell me.... How long does it take you to explain how the watch works when someone asks you for the time?  ;) 

My stepbrother would do that all the time....  Like one time years back the beginning of NBC's "Saturday Night At The Movies" opened with film footage of a montage of different theater marquees.  At one point I said( in all 9 year old innocence) that I thought the way the lights "moved" looked cool.  He spent the next half hour explaining about electrical circuitry and timed relay wiring.  All starting off with his typical condescending tone...."The lights aren't really moving..."  Whenever he'd do this sort of thing, i'd jab back at him with, "Why, you must be that life of the party I done heard about!"  :D   Of course, in my way I could be equally annoying.  Like, when he was going to U-M studying engineering, I'd often ask him, "Hey, Reggie,when you get to be an engineer,  can I ride up in the engine with you and toot the whistle?"  :D   It took him a DOZEN TIMES going through that BS until he finally learned to just say, "Man, cut it out!" instead of spending all that time explaining what engineering was:rolleyes:

But don't take it too much to heart PRINCESS.  Got nothin' but love for ya.  :) 

Sepiatone

Sep-- I love you too.

That, you'll have to forgive me. Cuz I spent too many hours, days, weeks, months, years at that ballet barre in Chicago with no air conditioning in the good old days. I was never good enough to be on one of those TV shows and maybe I'm just a little envious.

But those kids worked hard and they do deserve recognition as high achieving professionals.

• Like 1

I hear that PRINCESS, I too, went through just a bit of "torture" when my Mom signed me up for tap lessons and on the first day all we had to do was stand on one foot for what seemed forever.  I put up such a fuss about it Mom took me out of the class.  It was she who gave me the fodder for what would be one of my best self-deprecation lines---- She in a furious huff told me, "Don't blame ME if you spend your life dancing like ST. VITUS!"  :D  So...

Lemme know too, if this was already posted earlier....

'62 I think

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Y'know, after ELVIS there were several "clones" created in an attempt to cash in.  Same with The Beatles.  But.....

Who do THESE guys sound like, and was it intentional or not?  ;) 

And I guess these guys gave it a go too, but weren't as good as T&B-----

Of course, their "Cherry Pie" did much better.  But still.....

Sepiatone

Hey!  Remember the days(years before many of you contributors were born, apparently)  when rockers tried to "class" up their music by doing things like this?  ("Rocked up" version of GRIEG'S  piano concerto)

And the same year.... ( Boogie treatment of "Flight Of The Bumble Bee").

Sepiatone