• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yep.  Talk about forgotten!  :D

Sepiatone

And rightly! 

Maybe you can help me to remember some electronic hit, probably from the early '60s... I hear bits of it in a commercial but can't tell you what commercial or pin it down (I don't watch TV much, but the TV is usually on).  That's why I thought of "Popcorn"

As to the EXILE tune....

The idea is FORGOTTEN oldies, NOT forgettable.  :wacko:  ;)

Anyway.......

I never heard of this band before, but like The Beatles, I guess the Beach Boys too, had their copycats.  ;)  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

As to the EXILE tune....

Sepiatone

Mm.  I get you're joking.  To be clear, the record went to #1 but I never hear it and I listen to oldies radio if I listen to radio.  Yes, forgettable, like I said at the top of this page about "Popcorn"😛

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

As to the EXILE tune....

Anyway.......

I never heard of this band before, but like The Beatles, I guess the Beach Boys too, had their copycats.  ;)  

Sep-- If this keeps up I'm going to send you an autographed copy of my self-published biography of "Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys".

Brian's autocratic and physically abusive dad started managing the group in the beginning until he became so hateful and difficult to deal with during recording sessions that Brian and the boys fired him.

Imagine that, being millionaire teenagers and twenty-somethings and able to fire your own dad.

(Murry Wilson has become a rock legend himself-- "rock and roll dad".)

Well, after being kicked out by the boys his own three sons and nephew, Murry picked up on another local group and promoted them. Yes, the Sunrays! 

They really had their own little style at the time but Murry reworked them to be new Beach Boys and even made them wear those silly striped shirts.

Can you imagine that trying to replace your own sons with strangers?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Allhallowsday said:

^ I have that record on a collection of Surf music called Endless Summer Legends a great collection with a few BEACH BOYS but also superb Surf guitar records. 

R-12271477-1532460357-1807.jpeg.jpg

In the beginning The Beach Boys used to play instrumental surf music too.

You can hear "Let's Go Trippin" on their live 1964 "Beach Boys Concert" album.

Carl Wilson was an above-average lead guitar player and deserves a lot more credit now, than he ever got when he was alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ I have been a BEACH BOYS fan for decades, but I only got to see them once, probably about 1978 which then was "uncool" (I didn't care - a Rock n' Roller, I liked Disco too).  Pet Sounds is a masterpiece.  When I was old enough, I was buying still in print BEACH BOYS vinyl albums in the late '70s and into the '80s.  My own favorite is probably Wild Honey!  Most amazing to me is that  BRIAN would be the one to still survive! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Allhallowsday said:

^ I have been a BEACH BOYS fan for decades, but I only got to see them once, probably about 1978 which then was "uncool" (I didn't care - a Rock n' Roller, I liked Disco too).  Pet Sounds is a masterpiece.  When I was old enough, I was buying still in print BEACH BOYS vinyl albums in the late '70s and into the '80s.  My own favorite is probably Wild Honey!  Most amazing to me is that  BRIAN would be the one to still survive! 

I'm one of those original hardcore fans.

I've seen the real Beach Boys twice. Amazingly, I saw The Beach Boys in 1983  for Dennis Wilson's last concert tour. He died that December. 

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm one of those original hardcore fans.

I've seen the real Beach Boys twice. Amazingly, I saw The Beach Boys in 1983  for Dennis Wilson's last concert tour. He died that December. 

I was listening to BEACH BOYS records (my brother's albums and my cousin's 45s) in the '60s, but I was very young.  Then again, I didn't appreciate the greats of the '50s until the 1980s (particularly ELVIS and RICKY NELSON)!

24 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I was listening to BEACH BOYS records (my brother's albums and my cousin's 45s) in the '60s, but I was very young.  Then again, I didn't appreciate the greats of the '50s until the 1980s (particularly ELVIS and RICKY NELSON)!

Something like that happened to me too. I was very young and The Beach Boys first Capitol record was on the radio. My brother told me about it and turned me onto it.

But it was several years before I ever bought any of their records myself.

2 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

^ I was in diapers when THE BEACH BOYS first Capitol single was released ... "Surfin' Safari" ??

I was in Primary School and my brother had all the records so I thought he knew a lot more about it than I did.

He liked Elvis, The Everlys, Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.