Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies

HA!  THAT brings back memories.  Had the 45 as a kid, and my best friend's Dad, a long time member of SPAH (look it up) used to regale us with his mastery of the instrument and the playing of that tune.  But actually, it was THIS 45  ;)

Now, I may have posted this before, but so long ago I can't recall.  But while getting examples for another thread subject in another forum, turned up this one (for a thread titled "Guilty Pleasures")..........

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

This one has been on my mind all week, but I had to hunker down to figure out which record it was!  THE SHANGRI-LAs "Give Him A Great Big Kiss".  I dig on THE SHIRELLES quite a bit, but I need a SHANGRI-LAs collection. 

The Shangri-Las were the Bad Girls of early 60s Rock.

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

The Shangri-Las were the Bad Girls of early 60s Rock.

No doubt about it...  "hair a little too long...dirty fingernails..." of course, "Leader Of The Pack" exemplifies their image.  I like all the Girl Groups except (believe it or not) THE SUPREMES

HOY!

My Mom got a hold of an old wind-up Victrola from an elderly lady she knew, and among the half dozen or so records stored inside were "Singing The Blues" by Mitchell;  "Jim Dandy" by LaVerne Baker and "Tutti Frutti" by Little Richard.  All 78s in "like new" condition.  I don't know what became of the other two, but my kid sister, when she was four, broke "Tutti Frutti" unintentionally.  I was surely pizzed,  but she was so hard on herself for doing it I couldn't be mad at her for long.

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

HOY!

My Mom got a hold of an old wind-up Victrola from an elderly lady she knew, and among the half dozen or so records stored inside were "Singing The Blues" by Mitchell;  "Jim Dandy" by LaVerne Baker and "Tutti Frutti" by Little Richard.  All 78s in "like new" condition.  I don't know what became of the other two, but my kid sister, when she was four, broke "Tutti Frutti" unintentionally.  I was surely pizzed,  but she was so hard on herself for doing it I couldn't be mad at her for long.

Sepiatone

I've got a Victrola in a cabinet too, I don't listen to it anymore, but I do have a few HANK WILLIAMS 78s and "Too Soon To Know" by ELLA FITZGERALD (that particular version I've not found at YouTube). 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Was "Move It On Over" among those Hank 78s?

Sepiatone

I just looked in the cabinet of the Victrola... I have a lot more 78s in there than I remember, but no, I only found "I Can't Help It" and "Moanin' The Blues" b/w two lesser known ones on an MGM label.

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

HOY!

Sepiatone

I must have been 8 years-old when I accidentally broke my mother's Glenn Miller 78's.

But it's interesting you talking about your 78's because I had all those records on 45's. I didn't even know they were still making 78's then.