Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies

• 2 weeks later...

The TV series soundtrack, purchased a VG LP.  Just found out it had a few other selections from my old Henry Mancini 3 tape set (8 track).

TV intro, one of my oldest memories from around age 6.

Edited by hamradio
  • Like 1

Peter Gun theme is on the Henry Mancini 3 tape set.

fb4fe4b0-2dbc-535e-9fca-4697af24943b.jpg

This is the model I have.  The secret to keeping 8 tracks is making sure the sensor is inspected and taped from the backside of tape.  If not, it WILL break tangling in the player causing damage. Notice the LED Level / Output indicators, the Panasonic  RS 856 was one of the last models produced

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I haven't had an 8-track player for 40+ years.  :PGot all thse Mancini TV and movie themes on CD anyway. ;) 

Sepiatone

It's been 29 years since Brian said in the movie "Backdraft" (1991)...You gotta be kidding! This isn't an actual operating 8-track!

:lol:

If Brian can see me now!  :D

• Haha 1
On 6/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, Sepiatone said:

But y'know before that, there was THIS Mancini great, and very popular TV show theme.

About 3 years ago I went through a phase of watching the reruns.  Boy, that CRAIG STEVENS musta had a HARD HEAD!  Peter was always getting clunked! 

Forgotten?

3 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

About 3 years ago I went through a phase of watching the reruns.  Boy, that CRAIG STEVENS musta had a HARD HEAD!  Peter was always getting clunked! 

Henry Mancini had two albums of scored music for the TV show "Peter Gunn". At the time this was a trend, to score Noir detective shows with jazz.

It came from Miles Davis doing an impromptu score for "The Elevator to the Gallows", a French movie starring Jeanne Moreau, directed by Louis Malle.

But actually scoring a TV show, I think it was new at this time. On the first album you can hear in addition to the theme, the opening number, a theme for the nightclub, mothers-- where Edie--  sang and a theme for Pete's cozy nights with Edie.

When you hear that opening number that's called "Fallout"--you're hearing a great jazz trumpeter named Pete Candoli. 

Nelson Riddle also did one of these TV score albums with his music from "The Untouchables". My favorite number for that score, besides the theme, was "Speakeasy Blues". LOL

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Henry Mancini had two albums of scored music for the TV show "Peter Gunn". At the time this was a trend, to score Noir detective shows with jazz.

It came from Miles Davis doing an impromptu score for "The Elevator to the Gallows", a French movie starring Jeanne Moreau, directed by Louis Malle.

But actually scoring a TV show, I think it was new at this time. On the first album you can hear in addition to the theme, the opening number, a theme for the nightclub, mothers-- where Edie--  sang and a theme for Pete's cozy nights with Edie.

When you hear that opening number that's called "Fallout"--you're hearing a great jazz trumpeter named Pete Candoli. 

Nelson Riddle also did one of these TV score albums with his music from "The Untouchables". My favorite number for that score, besides the theme, was "Speakeasy Blues". LOL

Always loved those jazz scores in tose detective shows.  And PETE CADOLI?  Well I'm more familiar with brother CONTE.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ehhh.

How 'bout we switch to some honest music?  ;)  Like, SORRY folks, but this was NEVER REALLY an ELVIS tune!  B)

Nor did AEROSMITH come up with this one on their own!  :ph34r:

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

:D

Well, THAT'S enough "whitebread" to make several dozen bologna sandwiches!  ;) 

But while on this sort of thing....  How about.....

A LITTLE TRAVELLING MUSIC!  ;)   

Sepiatone

:D  I suppose that "lash out" is better than you lying on your back on the floor and screaming while kicking your feet.  ;)   And for clarity....

I used to hold the opinion that the reason it was called "pop" music was to differentiate it from the harder stuff, like why they called SOFT DRINKS "pop" to indicate the difference between them and other drinks that provide more "kick" .  ;)   Which too then, explains  most '80's "pop" music.  :D 

Sepiatone

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

:D  I suppose that "lash out" is better than you lying on your back on the floor and screaming while kicking your feet.  ;)   And for clarity....

I used to hold the opinion that the reason it was called "pop" music was to differentiate it from the harder stuff, like why they called SOFT DRINKS "pop" to indicate the difference between them and other drinks that provide more "kick" .  ;)   Which too then, explains  most '80's "pop" music.  :D 

Sepiatone

You're difficult to please, don't like it, too "white bread", too hard.  The MC5 single went all the way to #82.  It was called "Pop" as in "popular".  Soda is called pop 'cause of the bubbles.

• Haha 1
On 6/15/2020 at 1:00 PM, hamradio said:

Peter Gun theme is on the Henry Mancini 3 tape set.

fb4fe4b0-2dbc-535e-9fca-4697af24943b.jpg

This is the model I have.  The secret to keeping 8 tracks is making sure the sensor is inspected and taped from the backside of tape.  If not, it WILL break tangling in the player causing damage. Notice the LED Level / Output indicators, the Panasonic  RS 856 was one of the last models produced

maxresdefault.jpg

& in the process MANCINI set an Oscar record for 61 winning sng & score

21 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

You're difficult to please, don't like it, too "white bread", too hard.  The MC5 single went all the way to #82.  It was called "Pop" as in "popular".  Soda is called pop 'cause of the bubbles.

Precisely.  ;)  Same with the music.  :D 

Try as I might, I was gonna further tease you with a clip from an old skit on SNL, in which Ray Charles, supposedly talking to a late '50's record promoter, is treated to the PROMOTER'S idea of  how one of his songs should be done in order to "sell".  He then ushered in four young white kids in sweaters, white pleated slacks and carefully coiffed blond hair to sing ala FOUR PREPS......  "What Did I Say?"    GOD, it was hilarious.  But sadly a clip was not found. :( 

I don't think of it as "hard to please".  Just "discerning".  ;)   Meantime, I'll just let you "Bliss out"!  B)

Sepiatone

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't think of it as "hard to please".  Just "discerning". 

The thread is FORGOTTEN OLDIES.  An oldie has to have been remembered to be forgotten.  :rolleyes: 

Some of your wonderful selections belong in the What Are You Listening To? thread or the All About Music thread. 

54 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Precisely.  ;)  Same with the music.  :D 

Try as I might, I was gonna further tease you with a clip from an old skit on SNL, in which Ray Charles, supposedly talking to a late '50's record promoter, is treated to the PROMOTER'S idea of  how one of his songs should be done in order to "sell".  He then ushered in four young white kids in sweaters, white pleated slacks and carefully coiffed blond hair to sing ala FOUR PREPS......  "What Did I Say?"    GOD, it was hilarious.  But sadly a clip was not found. :( 

I don't think of it as "hard to please".  Just "discerning".  ;)   Meantime, I'll just let you "Bliss out"!  B)

Sepiatone

Sep--

That reminds me of the time that 2 sweatered Andy Williams had Ray Charles on his show.

And Uncle Ray invited Andy to join in with him on " What D'I Say?"

You could see it was a bit of a challenge for Andy, but he was quite pleased with himself when it was all over.

Years later, on another show he had to sing with the Isley Brothers.

And by now, you could see he had figured out that the whole thing was about having a good time and not being uptight.

They did my favorite Isley Brothers number: " It's Your Thing".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1