Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies

57 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

The thread is FORGOTTEN OLDIES.  An oldie has to have been remembered to be forgotten.  :rolleyes: 

Some of your wonderful selections belong in the What Are You Listening To? thread or the All About Music thread. 

The tunes I posted making reference to "traveling music" ARE songs I remembered.  That's how I was able to track them down.  ;)  Don't YOU remember when they were getting a lot of airtime?  :huh:  

Sepiatone

10 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

The tunes I posted making reference to "traveling music" ARE songs I remembered.  That's how I was able to track them down.  ;)  Don't YOU remember when they were getting a lot of airtime?

Sure.  You remember them, so do I.  For example, I think that ISLEY BROTHERS record you posted above is still well remembered.  The thread isn't necessarily records you like... but perhaps big hits that are "forgotten".  It's not a matter of taste. 

I get that.  But I posted that Isley Brothers tune as a favor to PRINCESS  ;)   I thought it was painfully "no brainer" clear.  And to clear something.....

The thread is titled "Forgotten Oldies", NOT "Forgotten big hits".  B)

Sepiatone

56 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

So, not sure how "big" of a hit this was, but I understand it was pretty popular, and I spun it a lot as a kid since my Mom hat the 78 among her stack.

It's far enough back that without research I can't say, but I believe DINAH SHORE had a significant hit with that in '47 or '48... she had a big hit with this :

• Like 1

I might have already posted this several pages back, I don't recall.

But my Mom also had a few 45s in her small collection, and one of them was.....

And----

Yet, in spite of the Dinah Shore, Rosemary Clooney, Jo Stafford 78s and these two up there, for some reason, she also had THIS among her stack---

And dig the label calling it a "FOX TROT"!  :D 

Was years until I heard JOE TURNER's original

Sepiatone

• Like 2

In another forum today, and a discussion of opening acts we've seen, I brought up THESE guys, and started wondering whatever became of them....  They opened(along with three other bands) for HENDRIX in '68...... 

From KALAMAZOO, MI

And dig who wrote this tune!

Sepiatone

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Their first, before they became rock'n'roll idols, or before even they became rock'n'roll!  ;) 

Sepiatone

You totally freaked me out. Last night I was watching the old Dick Clark night time series on YouTube.

And his special guests were The Everlys. They were singing their latest hits: "Till I Kissed You" and "When Will I Be Loved."

Most people lip synced on those Dick Clark shows.

And maybe they were playing their record too, but The Everlys really were singing and playing those guitars.

It was a thrill for me to go to the Hard Rock in Chicago and see their guitars hanging from the ceiling.

Those two guys really inspired the Beach Boys and the Beatles.

• Like 2

I don't know if they inspired the Beach Boys, but maybe influenced them a little. And I always read and heard BRIAN say he was heavily influenced by THE FOUR FRESHMEN.  As for The Beatles,...

Just about EVERY early R&B and Rock'n'Roll artist and group inspired and influenced them!  On the Anthology tapes, McCartney talks about how that high note sung, in the song of the same name, when they sing, "Please PLEASE me, whoa yeah, Like I please you"  that 2nd "please" was a nod to Roy Orbison.  Listen, and you might get it ;) .......

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't know if they inspired the Beach Boys, but maybe influenced them a little. And I always read and heard BRIAN say he was heavily influenced by THE FOUR FRESHMEN.  As for The Beatles,...

Just about EVERY early R&B and Rock'n'Roll artist and group inspired and influenced them!  On the Anthology tapes, McCartney talks about how that high note sung, in the song of the same name, when they sing, "Please PLEASE me, whoa yeah, Like I please you"  that 2nd "please" was a nod to Roy Orbison.  Listen, and you might get it ;) .......

Sepiatone

In 1987 The Everly Brothers appeared on The Beach Boys 25th Anniversary TV Special in Hawaii :

" The Beach Boys:  25 years Together  " on ABC-TV

because they were an inspiration to them early on.

Also The Beach Boys do a tribute to The Everly Brothers on there fan popular 1965 "Party" album--" Devoted To You", of course, sung by Brian and Mike.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Also The Beach Boys do a tribute to The Everly Brothers on there fan popular 1965 "Party" album--" Devoted To You", of course, sung by Brian and Mike.

If that's the one that had a "live" "Barbara Ann" I had that one on vinyl too.  I didn't like it much. 

EDIT: Yeh, that's it...

BeachBoysParty.album.cover.jpg

On 6/27/2020 at 2:09 PM, Princess of Tap said:

In 1987 The Everly Brothers appeared on The Beach Boys 25th Anniversary TV Special in Hawaii :

" The Beach Boys:  25 years Together  " on ABC-TV

because they were an inspiration to them early on.

Never saw that special. Don't know what it proves since I never claimed the Everly's weren't an inspiration to the Beach Boys.  ;) 

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Never saw that special. Don't know what it proves since I never claimed the Everly's weren't an inspiration to the Beach Boys.  ;) 

Sepiatone

This morning I happened upon a live tape of The Beatles in a German club in 1962.

This was pretty exciting stuff. Unfortunately the microphone was really over with George Harrison and his guitar was great, but you couldn't hear John and Paul singing too well.

But I was thrilled to hear them singing "Wake Up Little Susie".

I never heard them sing or record an Everly Brothers song before.

Even cooler is that these three Beatles were performing Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen". And to think only a year later The Beach Boys would be retooling this song and saying that they wrote it. LOL

The history of American rock and roll is just so intertwined with artists from so many different backgrounds, countries and generations.

When Little Richard recently died, I was surprised to hear Bob Dylan talk about what an inspiration that artist was to him personally.

I've got to agree with Little Richard:

"All around the world rock and roll is here to stay".

Sure.  Bob Dylan found inspiration in a lot of various artist, in many various genres.  From old "folkies" like(of course) Woody Guthrie and Cisco Houston, and bluesmen like Leadbelly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc.  and early rockers too.  And no doubt the Everly's played a role...  The song HIGHWAY 51 on his debut album has a notable Everly Brothers overtone to it.  ;)  See if you can hear it----  :) 

BTW---on both the LP and CD reissue, it's simply known as HIGHWAY 51.

Sepiatone

On 6/28/2020 at 7:07 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I've got to agree with Little Richard:

"All around the world rock and roll is here to stay".

???  HE said that??

I thought it was THESE guys!  ;) 

:D  Sepiatone