Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hamradio

FORGOTTEN Oldies

25 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

???  HE said that??

I thought it was THESE guys!  ;) 

:D  Sepiatone

Little Richard's 1956 single record of "The Girl Can't Help It" had a great B/W--" All around the world".

Robert Palmer did an excellent cover of it too and the video featured Little Richard's original version.

I believe the Danny & the Juniors song from 1958 is lifted from the lyrics of this Little Richard song--

" All around the world rock and roll is here to stay".

Indeed, they are two different songs. LOL

• Like 1

I have one Atomic Rooster album, In Hearing of Atomic Rooster. It came out shortly after Carl

Palmer left the band for greener pastures. I haven't played it in decades, but I recall it as a

fairly good hard rock/prog record. The cover is kind of funny too.

Thanks for that.  Always liked that tune.  Sadly, most folks only remember Shirley for this-----

BTW ALLHALLOWS...re; Your clip---  Those kids dancing....  now...THAT'S what I call "Whitebread"!  :D 

Sepiatone

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

BTW ALLHALLOWS...re; Your clip---  Those kids dancing....  now...THAT'S what I call "Whitebread"!

I think their dancing is fantastic. 

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Thanks for that.  Always liked that tune.  Sadly, most folks only remember Shirley for this-----

BTW ALLHALLOWS...re; Your clip---  Those kids dancing....  now...THAT'S what I call "Whitebread"!  :D 

Sepiatone

The ability of the dancers has nothing to do with their race or ethnicity.

They are professionally trained dancers and that's really all you need to know about them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

The ability of the dancers has nothing to do with their race or ethnicity.

They are professionally trained dancers and that's really all you need to know about them.

I've shared that "Nitty Gritty" clip with a few friends today because I think they are FANTASTIC and hardly what I'd call "white bread".  I didn't understand that remark either. 

• Thanks 1

In this case, "whitebread" would mean "stiff, slick", and lacking true emotional response to the music. 

And I know it's unfairly "racist" and/or "politically incorrect" to say so, but just look at old clips of "American Bandstand" and compare them to early clips of "Soul Train" and let me know which YOU think had the better dancers?     As for "The Name Game"---

Very popular tune, but it did(for me) get stale quick due to WAY too many people wanting to play it using the name CHUCK!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

7 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

In this case, "whitebread" would mean "stiff, slick", and lacking true emotional response to the music. 

And I know it's unfairly "racist" and/or "politically incorrect" to say so, but just look at old clips of "American Bandstand" and compare them to early clips of "Soul Train" and let me know which YOU think had the better dancers?     As for "The Name Game"---

Very popular tune, but it did(for me) get stale quick due to WAY too many people wanting to play it using the name CHUCK!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

This isn't about Bandstand or Soul Train. Those dancers in the video were professional dancers, not high school kids on TV.

It has nothing to do with politics or anything else except the fact that if a person is a professional artist they should be expected to perform better than amateurs. Because that's why they're being paid.

Professional or not PRINCESS, their routine was antithetic to the music.  Too slick to seem an honest emotional response to the music. In other words;

More of showing off than being interpretive.   So I should probably blame their choreographer for being "whitebread" and not them.  ;) 

Sepiatone

39 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

You need to watch that white boy in black suit upfront again.  His hair is swingin'.   For 1964, bad boy - Rock n' Roll... Those moves choreographed are repeated by all 3 couples.  That kid is out front because he was like a rag doll feeling the music.  I chose to show that clip rather than a YouTube of just that song or SHIRLEY ELLIS lipsynching because of those dancers.  It's from The JUDY GARLAND Show.  Dancing usually bores me.  I love it!

Sorry, man.  But just like when I first saw it, I had to wipe down my computer monitor due to the SPIT TAKE seeing them dancing triggered.   I'll concede that perhaps, on further examination, that their "moves" ;)  were ahead of their time insomuch as they looked like a very early version of the "robot" dance move!  :D 

Sepiatone

17 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sorry, man.  But just like when I first saw it, I had to wipe down my computer monitor due to the SPIT TAKE seeing them dancing triggered.   I'll concede that perhaps, on further examination, that their "moves" ;)  were ahead of their time insomuch as they looked like a very early version of the "robot" dance move!  :D 

Sepiatone

You so bad. :unsure: Nonetheless, it's all show - biz.  I understand you, it's the youth in you yet.  :)

• Haha 1

Remember when BOBBY DARIN ventured over in this direction....?

And a Bob Dylan cover----

Sepiatone