Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies

8 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I do believe the name was singular(Friend and Lover)  ;)  And that night, "And their dirty little band" was added to the name.  And they were well received by that hardcore hippie crowd too.

Sepiatown

Of course... typos!  I still like that record, though it's dated.

One of my favorite records, an old 78 by CHICK WEBB and his band, and your still liking "Reach Out Of The Darkness" proves that the word "dated" has no useful place in the parlance of music discussion.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

One of my favorite records, an old 78 by CHICK WEBB and his band, and your still liking "Reach Out Of The Darkness" proves that the word "dated" has no useful place in the parlance of music discussion.  ;) 

Sepiatone

It's completely dated, Babe, it's message and production.  I like the oldies, but that doesn't automatically make them timeless. 

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

I have recordings of Fred and Adele Astaire recreating their Broadway shows-- often with the original composer George Gershwin at the piano.:D

These are timeless legendary recordings, Which are an example of 1920s American popular music.

I can say they're dated, only in that--that time and place can never be recreated today. That makes them timeless.

Fred Astaire used a number of these songs in his technicolor, stereophonic sound movies in the 1950s.

Production-wise and musical Arrangement wise, they certainly are on a higher level than those 78 RPM recordings--

But the unique freshness and originality of the original representation of music, depicting an innovative American cultural era, can never be duplicated or replaced. It's exciting!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

It's completely dated, Babe, it's message and production.  I like the oldies, but that doesn't automatically make them timeless. 

That a very many people still like and listen to them pretty much does, "Babe".  ;) And that many other artists are returning to using those same "old time" recording methods proves further that "dated" is too often misused.  A MOVIE can be "dated" as nobody(I'm yet aware of) is making movies using the same techniques used in making many of the "classics" we like on TCM. Peter Bogdanovich  gave it a couple of tries, and did very well with them.  But simply shooting with black and white stock isn't enough.  And he was smart enough to know that.

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

That a very many people still like and listen to them pretty much does, "Babe".  ;) And that many other artists are returning to using those same "old time" recording methods proves further that "dated" is too often misused.  A MOVIE can be "dated" as nobody(I'm yet aware of) is making movies using the same techniques used in making many of the "classics" we like on TCM. Peter Bogdanovich  gave it a couple of tries, and did very well with them.  But simply shooting with black and white stock isn't enough.  And he was smart enough to know that.

Sepiatone

And this reminds me of English teachers that I've had or that I know.

Every new school year the English teacher is asked to explain to some smart-aleck in the room why they study Shakespeare, why they study Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn" and why Lorraine Hansberry's classic play about black people in the Chicago ghetto of the 1950s is still relevant today.

• Thanks 1

TOO_ SHAY!  ;) 

Could be a good thread for a music forum------

"Songs with "babe" in the title"  :D 

As mentioned somewhere earlier, in one forum we have a thread called "Same name, different song".  THAT thread got up to NINE PAGES!  Unbelievable how many songs use the same title, but are completely different in style, genre and other content.  And BTW----never did like that Styxwagon tune.

Sepiatone

For years I referred to both groups(REO Speedwagon and Styx)  as REO STYXWAGON because I usually couldn't tell the two apart from each other musically.  :D 

Appears you might have had a similar problem?

Sepiatone

26 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

For years I referred to both groups(REO Speedwagon and Styx)  as REO STYXWAGON because I usually couldn't tell the two apart from each other musically.  :D 

Appears you might have had a similar problem?

Sepiatone

No. I disliked REO SPEEDWAGON much more and could tell them apart from STYX

6 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

No. I disliked REO SPEEDWAGON much more and could tell them apart from STYX

I really hate REO Speedwagon,  but because the only time I was arrested was at a concert, when I was 17.  They were the opening band and Blue Oyster Cult was the lead band.    Well I didn't care to listen to REO so my friend and I went to find a spot to smoke.     We run into a bunch of cops and they searched us and found 'stuff'.     It was all illegal searches by the cops and I told them so.      My step-father was 'cool' so he came and picked us up and no charges were filed (not even a ticket since the searches were unauthorized). 

The worst part was that the cops wanted to talk while us punks were waiting to be picked up;    I told him I had come for Blue Oyster Cult;  Well he tell me to sit over next to a vent and I could hear BOC (barely);    "See puck,  you can near them,,,  oh,, the audio isn't very good,,,, that wasn't what you expected,,,,"      just cruel cops!    

• Thanks 1

Babe was pure Midwestern puke rock, the kind of tune that makes one want to upchuck before it

comes to its thanked for end. But I did buy one Stnkx album, The Grand Illusion. Not bad. It

sounded somewhat like a poor man's version of Yes. Never knew much about REO Speedwagon,

except for their songs on the radio. Thankfully, punk came along.