Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies

15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Well it definitely is an oldie. I don't think any singles were released from that album,

so that song may be remembered only by the people who bought the record.

That notorious record (because of its wraps) had been played a lot on FM radio back in the day.  I never owned a copy.

• Thanks 1

I bought it a little while after it came out with the band picture on the cover. Pretty neat photo too.

Much later I got a cassette version and it had the naked little girl on the cover. 

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I bought it a little while after it came out with the band picture on the cover. Pretty neat photo too.

Much later I got a cassette version and it had the naked little girl on the cover. 

There are 3 records that come to mind as "offensively" wrapped : JOHN LENNON / YOKO ONO Two Virgins ; BLIND FAITH ; ROXY MUSIC Country Life ... no more come to mind though I suspect there's others. 

18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, and I notice the tight sphinct  mods felt self righteous enough to delete my post with that cover photo on a clip that also had my favorite from that LP--"Do What You Like."

15 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

There are 3 records that come to mind as "offensively" wrapped : JOHN LENNON / YOKO ONO Two Virgins ; BLIND FAITH ; ROXY MUSIC Country Life ... no more come to mind though I suspect there's others. 

There was the "import" cover of Jimi Hendrix Experience's "Electric Ladyland" with many nude women lounging about.  And The Beatles had that "Butcher" cover for their LP "Yesterday And Today" that was offensive for different reasons.  And pulled off the shelves and out of the bins pretty quickly too.

But that's just in the "rock" area....  Might be some jazz or other genres with "offensive" covers( never heard "wraps" used for that before.  Interesting).  But another comes to mind...

Back when I'd peruse through the album bins at the local SPARTAN discount store, I noticed a comedy album by some African-American comic whose name I can't remember.  It was called "Burglar In The Bedroom" and had a "wrap"  ;) with a photo of a guy halfway out the bedroom window with a very well endowed black woman barely covered up sitting in bed and another man holding the guy in the window by the throat.  It also had two "dialog bubbles" which had the man holding the burglar asking, "Did he get anything baby?"  and the woman in the bed saying, "Yes daddy.  But I thought it was you!"  :D 

Sepiatone

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Back when I'd peruse through the album bins at the local SPARTAN discount store, I noticed a comedy album by some African-American comic whose name I can't remember.  It was called "Burglar In The Bedroom" and had a "wrap"  ;) with a photo of a guy halfway out the bedroom window with a very well endowed black woman barely covered up sitting in bed and another man holding the guy in the window by the throat.  It also had two "dialog bubbles" which had the man holding the burglar asking, "Did he get anything baby?"  and the woman in the bed saying, "Yes daddy.  But I thought it was you!"  :D 

There was a black artist who had at least a couple of record albums with risque covers like you describe... can't think of who that was, he was not famous...

I had an import copy of Electric Lady Land just to get that cover! 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Plus the ones that were okay in the U.S. but that didn't fly in Asia or the Middle East. Of course the Beggars Banquet

toilet cover was squelched before the album was released. The Ohio Players had some naughty covers. I guess they

just made it under the radar. Funkadelic's Free Your Mind and Your *** Will Follow shows the woman's behind, but

I guess that was on the back cover. I saw the naked ladies version of Electric Ladyland long after I bought the other

cover and I wasn't going to buy that just for that reason. Oh, just remembered Queen's Jazz album had an insert

photo of their nude bicycle race. I wonder if it's in the CD version. 

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, and I notice the tight sphinct  mods felt self righteous enough to delete my post with that cover photo on a clip that also had my favorite from that LP--"Do What You Like."

Sepiatone

The censors are so silly. Anything that might offend someone with an age in the single digits gets yanked.

Do What You Like goes on a little too long for me, but it's an okay tune. 

22 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

led zeppelin baby i am going to leave you.

That reminded me Joe, of a gag RICHARD BELZER  did on SNL back in the '70's about wedding band singers, trying to be "hip" wind up getting it wrong, like correcting the grammar in some iconic rock tunes, like singing;   "I can't get any------  Satisfaction!"  ;) 

And JAMES, the idea was "songs with BABE in the title".  ;)   Like-----

Sepiatone

I wish this hadn't clicked into my mind, but there was the early 1970s hit Oh Babe, What Would You

Say by "Hurricane" Smith. Yuck. Weird thing is Smith, real name Norman Smith, was an engineer

on the early Beatles recordings and produced some of Pink Floyd's early albums. Yes, it's a long

way to the top and a long way from it too. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I wish this hadn't clicked into my mind, but there was the early 1970s hit Oh Babe, What Would You

Say by "Hurricane" Smith. Yuck. Weird thing is Smith, real name Norman Smith, was an engineer

on the early Beatles recordings and produced some of Pink Floyd's early albums. Yes, it's a long

way to the top and a long way from it too. 

I love HURRICANE SMITH and have a CD collection of his hits.  Here is live on Johnny Carson :

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I love HURRICANE SMITH and have a CD collection of his hits.  Here is live on Johnny Carson :

Hits is rather generous as he only had the one hit in the U.S. I guess he did a little better in the U.K.

I suppose he was harmless enough.

16 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

"Hurricane" is the perfect moniker!  That certainly does blow.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Sure.  Until your posting that clip I thought Gentry was a "one hit wonder" with her "Ode To Billy Joe".

And while I liked Aretha's version of this one, the first version I was familiar with was....

Some time later I found out it was a "cover", but 'round here they only played the Ben E. King original on the "race" stations.  :blink:

Sepiatone