Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies

48 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure.  Until your posting that clip I thought Gentry was a "one hit wonder" with her "Ode To Billy Joe".

And while I liked Aretha's version of this one, the first version I was familiar with was....

Some time later I found out it was a "cover", but 'round here they only played the Ben E. King original on the "race" stations.  :blink:

Sepiatone

Sep--

I think it's funny what you said.

Where I lived they only had two or three radio stations.

And one wouldn't even play rock and roll!

So that the other two played every kind of music that people would request.

Ben E. King was on all the time with every other black artist I've ever heard of.

And within the same 55 minutes they would play Jim Reeves, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, and still have room for stuff like Henry Mancini and Louis Armstrong.

You miss out on so much when you have segregation. They even had segregation apparently on  the radio stations where you lived.

Did you go to segregated schools too?

BTW-- They even had time for those comedy records by Andy Griffith and some others. I really liked those too.

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure.  Until your posting that clip I thought Gentry was a "one hit wonder" with her "Ode To Billy Joe".

And while I liked Aretha's version of this one, the first version I was familiar with was....

Some time later I found out it was a "cover", but 'round here they only played the Ben E. King original on the "race" stations.  :blink:

Sepiatone

Sometimes the CLYDE McPHATTER version was on the oldies station I listened to in the '70s. 

That song was co-written by PHIL SPECTOR!  :(  There's at least a couple more versions, probably ARETHA's made the biggest hit after BEN E KING.

34 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Sometimes the CLYDE McPHATTER version was on the oldies station I listened to in the '70s. 

That song was co-written by PHIL SPECTOR!  :(  There's at least a couple more versions, probably ARETHA's made the biggest hit after BEN E KING.

And this is where I get confused. Because both Ben E King and Clyde McPhatter were at one time lead singers for The Drifters.

So when I hear either one of them singing the song, I think I'm hearing The Drifters.

13 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

And this is where I get confused. Because both Ben E King and Clyde McPhatter were at one time lead singers for The Drifters.

So when I hear either one of them singing the song, I think I'm hearing The Drifters.

I can understand that.  Just like some of DION'S solo work was still thought of by some to be him with the Belmonts.

When I was growing up, there were four radio stations in Metro Detroit that played top 40 "pop" and rock'n'roll.  WKMH, WJBK, WXYZ and WKNR (all AM of course)  And two stations that played only music by African-American artists...  WJBL and WCHB.  WCHB( now both AM and FM still operates out of their long time home of the art-deco designed building on Sibley Rd. in the long held white enclave of Riverview, MI.   WKMH folded by the beginning of the '60's. 

I've discussed this before elsewhere.  Back in the '60's you'd hear a more diverse playlist on those AM top 40 stations.  Like by 1964, withing a half hour you could hear a Beatles tune, followed by The Contours, then maybe the song, "Saginaw Michigan" by Lefty Frizzell, and then The Matys Brothers' "Who Stole The Keeshka?" .  Rounded out maybe by The Rolling Stones. But....

I remember during the '60's('65 to be exact) WCHB broke from the "black only" policy to play this white guy's tune---

I was waiting in the car for my Dad( who went into some store for something) and the black DJ who's airtime was that afternoon, seemed to like it so much he played it four times in a row.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I listened to Cousin Brucie on WABC. They had a very tight Top 40 playlist. And I don't think they played much below the Top 20.  If you didn't make the Top 40, you're weren't going to be played. But just about everybody loved Cuz.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I listened to Cousin Brucie on WABC. They had a very tight Top 40 playlist. And I don't think they played much below the Top 20.  If you didn't make the Top 40, you're weren't going to be played. But just about everybody loved Cuz.

I met COUSIN BRUCIE at a Chinese restaurant in Morristown, NJ.  I was eating there with friends, and heard that booming voice (he wasn't too loud - it is just that voice!)  I said to my friends : "That's Cousin Brucie!  I know it!"  I went over to his table and he was smiley gracious. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I met COUSIN BRUCIE at a Chinese restaurant in Morristown, NJ.  I was eating there with friends, and heard that booming voice (he wasn't too loud - it is just that voice!)  I said to my friends : "That's Cousin Brucie!  I know it!"  I went over to his table and he was smiley gracious. 

That's a trip. Of course there were other popular DJs on WABC, but Cousin Brucie was the most famous. I remember always trying to change the radio to WABC when riding around with my parents. Worked some of the time.

• Like 1

It's always cool when you meet some of those guys.  Some I've heard, were kind of "stand-offish" and one in particular was a guy who was a popular DJ on WKMH in my earlier youth, and retained his popularity when he moved to WKNR and then shortly after, the one "top 40" pop and rock station I forgot to mention...  CKLW from across the river in Windsor, Ont.  It was also the "call letters" of the TV station over there.  That DJ's name was ROBIN SEYMOUR who also hosted the popular local teen dance "Bandstand" type TV show "Swingin' Time".  He'd show up at a local hangout( for me and some buddies) called THE CHATTERBOX, a teen nightclub sort of place.  There was a chain of them around Metro Detroit in the mid to late '60's.  Seymour would bring in local rock and R&B talent.  But the bigger names would be reserved for his TV show.  Acts like MARVIN GAYE, BOB SEGER, SRC (Scott Richard Case) and later on The Amboy Dukes(with an early Ted Nugent in the line-up) .  The biggest name he brought to the Chatterbox was a fave of mine from the early '60's...  GINO WASHINGTON.  :) 

Seymour would stand off stage to the side of the bandstand and was easily accessible to anyone who wanted to talk a bit with him.  Nice guy.  Here's a sample of his show....

BTW, speaking of CKLW, the Bob Seger tune "Rosalie" was named for and dedicated to the station's programming manager Rosalie Trombley, who was a Seger fan and would always program lots of air time for his records.

God bless that woman!

Sepiatone

On 8/18/2020 at 5:50 PM, Allhallowsday said:

Back when they had their moment, AIR SUPPLY would come on the radio and I'd exclaim "Someone should CUT OFF their air supply!" 

Except for "Lost in Love." That's a great song. You gotta like that one.

Sure.  I get the Ted Nugent reaction.  But as also a guitar player I do have to admit he knows well his way around a fretboard.  But too, I will admit I much more liked his work with The Amboy Dukes than his later solo efforts.  Politics aside, he does have some musical talent.

And to show what I meant about The Amboy Dukes( and Ted's work with them)----

Yeah, I know it's all "lip sync" and pantomime, but it's the sound that counts.  ;) 

Sepiatone

On 8/28/2020 at 5:06 PM, Vautrin said:

In NYC before FM, Cousin Brucie was all we listened to. Loved him. I had my little white and gold transistor  radio (plastered up to my ear) with me wherever I went.  the echo of the voice saying "Cousin Brucie, Cousin Brucie!. Every summer coming back from the Catskill Mountains, my dad driving, my mom in the front and my sister and I on the back seat and always the newest Four Season number 1 hit would be playing on the radio, Cousin Brucie the DJ of course. I also remember fondl,y Murray the K and his Swingin' Soirree. anyone else remember Murray the K?

28 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Duplicate post, deleted, don't know why that happened and it quoted me! LOL 

With the new format the "quote" icon is where the "edit" icon use to be.      

I have created a few duplicate posts because I was trying to edit a post of mine and instead "quoted" my post.

12 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

With the new format the "quote" icon is where the "edit" icon use to be.      

I have created a few duplicate posts because I was trying to edit a post of mine and instead "quoted" my post.

Yes, I figured that, force of habit! We've got some getting use to.

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

In NYC before FM, Cousin Brucie was all we listened to. Loved him. I had my little white and gold transistor  radio (plastered up to my ear) with me wherever I went.  the echo of the voice saying "Cousin Brucie, Cousin Brucie!. Every summer coming back from the Catskill Mountains, my dad driving, my mom in the front and my sister and I on the back seat and always the newest Four Season number 1 hit would be playing on the radio, Cousin Brucie the DJ of course. I also remember fondl,y Murray the K and his Swingin' Soirree. anyone else remember Murray the K?

Yeah, Cousin Brucie was huge (sorry, but that's the best word to use) then. I recall reading about Murray the K, but I can't recall listening to him that much. There was another radio station that played Top 40 that always seemed to be #2 to WABC. Can't remember their call letters. And Murray the K was also one of those fifth Beatle guys, though the Beatles seemed to get along pretty well without him/them. Later on I used to listen to Alison Steele on WNEW-FM. The Nightbird. She played "progessive" rock late at night with a mesmerizing voice and cool radio personality. 

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, Cousin Brucie was huge (sorry, but that's the best word to use) then. I recall reading about Murray the K, but I can't recall listening to him that much. There was another radio station that played Top 40 that always seemed to be #2 to WABC. Can't remember their call letters. And Murray the K was also one of those fifth Beatle guys, though the Beatles seemed to get along pretty well without him/them. Later on I used to listen to Alison Steele on WNEW-FM. The Nightbird. She played "progessive" rock late at night with a mesmerizing voice and cool radio personality. 

Yes I remember WNEW-FM, we transitioned to FM in the mid-'60's. I remember Allison Steele and listening to Scott Muni. Yes, remembered Pete Fornatale, Jonathan Schwartz and Rosko too. I'm remebering now, in JHS the radio would be on WABC-AM before going to school and then switched to FM when I was in HS.  I think i remember Jonathan Schwartz having a great speaking voice.

edited by me

7 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes I remember WNEW-FM, we transitioned to FM in the mid-'60's. I remember Allison Steele and listening to Scott Muni. Yes, remembered Pete Fornatale, Jonathan Schwartz and Rosko too. I'm remebering now, in JHS the radio would be on WABC-AM before going to school and then switched to FM when I was in HS.  I think i remember Jonathan Schwartz having a great speaking voice.

edited by me

I remember many of those people by name if not by listening to them that frequently. I certainly remember Scott Muni. Then there was WBAI-FM, which broadcast some very interesting and unusual programs.

I liked that one too ALLHALLOWS.   Of course, we kids weren't "supposed to" like "lame-o" music like that back in the day.  For instance a couple I liked were...

And some years later....

Sure, some guys I knew thought I was nuts!  You at least gotta like that NAME, eh?  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
On 8/30/2020 at 2:46 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Murray the K -- the name is familiar, but I was a Cousin Brucie fan myself.

I haven't been following this thread faithfully, so maybe someone else has already posted this: COUSIN BRUCIE IS BACK!

On Saturday evenings from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. You can find him at http://www.insideradio.com/free/cousin-brucie-morrow-comes-full-circle-with-saturday-s-return-to-wabc/article_3448f324-eb48-11ea-9b3a-df2e1229de1c.html?fbclid=IwAR24p5V6AHLhNVSGQvkx8bSRsrFVjzzPC25vcwSHVMny35J8-mOFzaTmMFI

Or try www.abcradio.com.

Every metropolitan area has it's old favorites.  We here in the Detroit area didn't get  Cousin Brucie, but we had several popular DJs.  I already mentioned ROBIN SEYMOUR, but too, there was LEE ALLEN (WXYZ) and MICKEY SHORR(also WXYZ) who later opened a chain of car audio shops.  MARC AVERY was a favorite of mine (WJBK) and played the first Beatles record I ever heard back in late Dec. '63 The station also had DJs ROBERT E. LEE(actual name but no real proven relation) TERRY KNIGHT(who went on to become the original manager-producer for GRAND FUNK RAILROAD).  And retained "ownership" of "Jack The Bellboy".  Never knew the guy's real name.

Sepiatone