Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies

27 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

LORNE GREENE had a #1 record right after the time of them Teen idols same year as BEATLES

Cool! I love Lorne Greene's voice. I've always imagined God's voice sounding something like that.

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, then other TV stars got into it.---

Then it started to get political!  ;) 

:D  Sepiatone

This song reminds me of how much I loved Senator Everett McKinley Dirksen-- the legendary Republican Senator from Illinois.

I can remember living in Chicago and going to the Dirksen Federal Building to get my passport and thinking about what a fine man he was.

And I'm sure he thought that record was a hoot.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

;) 

Well, something else woulda been MY choice.  But we all like different things...   :) 

Like, I once went to buy an album by one group(Detroit Wheels I think it was) but wound up buying this by these then unheard of dudes..  ;)  

From '67

Sepiatone

I used to go every week to buy one record at the long out of business E.J. Korvette's. They had a sale

on albums every week. I'm sure there were some records I wanted to buy that weren't in stock at

the time, though their selection was pretty good for a department store. ONJ would not have been

on my want to buy list. I also think we had different conceptions of mellow.

Damn, I MISS Korvette's.  They always had a good selection.  And a top notch audio section too. Most of my earlier classical LPs were bought there.  But the first album I bought at Korvette's was....

I've been on a Bloomfield jag lately.  He WAS an early guitar hero to me and many others.  CLAPTON too, considered him an influence.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I can't recall the first record I bought there, but it was likely something from the early 1970s

when I went there on a regular basis. The record dept. was on the top floor and I never paid

much attention to the lower floor(s), though the displays looked nice enough. I think $3.44 was

usually the price of the on-sale albums. 

• Like 1

Y'know, SPENCE'S mention in another thread of the movie MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM reminded me that probably not many know who Ma Rainey was.  So I'd thought I'd help them out......

Most white(and several black) guys of my generation and beyond can't think of any African-American women blues singers besides BIG MAMA THORNTON (you know, she of the original "Hound Dog") or BESSIE SMITH  

Ma Rainey was a pioneer in the recorded voices of woman blues singers.  And another overlooked legend was.... (and with a couple other legends  ;) )

Sepiatone

Although the vast majori ty of his songs aren't forgotten, even THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA still had a few, did you post any of them   MAMA WILL BARK is by no means though forgotten, but just awful!

23 hours ago, spence said:

Although the vast majori ty of his songs aren't forgotten, even THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA still had a few, did you post any of them   MAMA WILL BARK is by no means though forgotten, but just awful!

I don't recall if anyone ever posted any "forgotten" Sinatra oldies.  I only know I didn't.  But there's still plenty of room and time for YOU to, though.  ;) 

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't recall if anyone ever posted any "forgotten" Sinatra oldies.  I only know I didn't.  But there's still plenty of room and time for YOU to, though.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Before I was even in kindergarten, I liked Frank Sinatra's songs on the radio.

I had a little Charlie McCarthy radio and Sinatra's voice was my favorite one. Two songs I liked the best, but never heard again really were--

" You Forgot All The Words " and "Old MacDonald Had a Farm".

I don't think I imagined the last one because I remember actually seeing him singing that on TV once. He had a TV show, eons ago.

I wonder if anybody else remembers these songs?

I was more drawn towards Nat King Cole.  Not that I didn't like Frank too, but just preferred Nat's style and smoothness.  

And SPENCE:

You're welcome(concerning informing you of Ma Rainey and her music.  ;) )

Sepiatone