Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FORGOTTEN Oldies

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure, and it had to bug him as well.  If you've ever seen the Chuck Berry flick HAIL, HAIL, ROCK AND ROLL and caught the glimpse of Julian's expression when Chuck slips and calls him "John", you'd get it.   And so----

Sepiatone

It was Mike Douglas who brought Chuck Berry and John Lennon together.

John Lennon said that Chuck Berry was another name for rock and roll.

" Hail hail rock and roll

The beat of the drums loud and bold

Rock rock rock rock and roll

The feeling is there a body and soul....."

So I take it you never saw that movie?  It was put together in 1986 and filmed(the concert part) in the Fox Theater in St. Louis, Chuck's hometown, in celebration of Chuck's 60th birthday.  Lots of interesting footage in it.  And great guest artists.  I liked the earlier interviews with some of his equally aging contemporaries, especially JERRY LEE LEWIS telling how his Mama told him, "Chuck Berry is the King of rock and roll."  ;)  And Jerry, a bit dismayed said he asked her, " But Mama....what about ME?"  and her reply, "Well, son.....You OK......but Chuck BERRY,  HE'S the KING of Rock and Roll!"  :D 

Sepiatone

58 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

So I take it you never saw that movie?  It was put together in 1986 and filmed(the concert part) in the Fox Theater in St. Louis, Chuck's hometown, in celebration of Chuck's 60th birthday.  Lots of interesting footage in it.  And great guest artists.  I liked the earlier interviews with some of his equally aging contemporaries, especially JERRY LEE LEWIS telling how his Mama told him, "Chuck Berry is the King of rock and roll."  ;)  And Jerry, a bit dismayed said he asked her, " But Mama....what about ME?"  and her reply, "Well, son.....You OK......but Chuck BERRY,  HE'S the KING of Rock and Roll!"  :D 

Sepiatone

I saw it on YouTube.

I'm guessing back then the tickets were under the now $300+ Paul charges now.  :rolleyes:  Which brings me to one thing I like about classical music concerts....

I've seen the Detroit Symphony Orchestra several times. With and without "guest" artists.  But even when I saw them with violinist Isaac Stern, pianists Jorge Bolet,  Lazar Berman, Rudolf Serkin and Sir Clifford Curzon.  All who enjoy a similar status in classical music that McCartney enjoys in the rock genre, the tickets for those concerts cost me no more than the  regular ticket price  for just the orchestra's  concert.    And all that info fits into this conversation(which I THOUGHT was about Lennon and Chuck Berry) as much as James and his McCartney clip.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

On 1/11/2021 at 10:12 AM, Sepiatone said:

I'm guessing back then the tickets were under the now $300+ Paul charges now.  :rolleyes:  Which brings me to one thing I like about classical music concerts....

I've seen the Detroit Symphony Orchestra several times. With and without "guest" artists.  But even when I saw them with violinist Isaac Stern, pianists Jorge Bolet,  Lazar Berman, Rudolf Serkin and Sir Clifford Curzon.  All who enjoy a similar status in classical music that McCartney enjoys in the rock genre, the tickets for those concerts cost me no more than the  regular ticket price  for just the orchestra's  concert.    And all that info fits into this conversation(which I THOUGHT was about Lennon and Chuck Berry) as much as James and his McCartney clip.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

It seems like it was in the 90s that I had some office colleagues asked me if I wanted to pay $100 plus to see the Stones with them in Kansas City or maybe it was Paul McCartney or both at different times.

I particularly remember Paul saying at the time that you were not going to be allowed to eat hot dogs at his concert because he was a vegetarian.LOL

I wouldn't pay that amount of money to see either one of them when they were closer to being in their Prime in the 90s.

Apparently they're charging a lot more ridiculous prices now for their Elderly Renditions.

I paid $4.50 to see The Beatles in '64 in Kansas City and I don't think I'm going to get a better show from any of these old men no matter how many hundreds of dollars they want to charge us.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a Nostalgia show when you get to be a certain age For Old Times Sake and your audience is a certain age,

but I don't think these people even realize what that kind of money means to an ordinary person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've mentioned this before.  But it was bad enough back in the mid '70s to pay $20 a ticket to see Bob Seger at Cobo arena(on one of the nights "Live Bullet" was recorded) when just not even ten years earlier we used to see him every other weekend at the weekly summer dances at AQUINAS high school.  And for only $2 at the door!  And I don't even know what tickets went for at his last concert.   But when we saw him at Aquinas, he more or less appeared like this----- (except we were seein' him in '68)

But not like this  ;)   (and sadly, long time Seger sax player ALTO REED died just this past December 30)

Sepiatone

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Heh!

Seems among me and mine I'm the only one who remembers this one!

Was just in the last few years a more frenetic(imagine) version was used in some TV commercial.  For what, I don't recall...

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Heh!

Seems among me and mine I'm the only one who remembers this one!

Was just in the last few years a more frenetic(imagine) version was used in some TV commercial.  For what, I don't recall...

Sepiatone

It was Vonage, but this was nearly 20 years ago, so maybe you were thinking of something else.  Otherwise, time flies...

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just in time for the commemoration.

Been 51 years already.  What those people could have achieved over those years.  :( 

Sepiatone

I was reminded of another political song by Neil Young from a few years later. I had to

do a little digging to figure out what it was. I did buy the single when it came out in

the summer of '72, but I had forgotten the name of the tune. It was War Song, done

by Neil Young and Graham Nash. Probably not forgotten as it was never a hit to be

remembered in the first place. Not bad.

• Like 1

I hope these 3 aren't forgotten. I've been humming and singing them to myself lately, loved them when they were released and still do. Grazing In the Grass - the High Masakela version and the Friends of Distinction version with lyrics and Classical Gas -Mason Williams. Great songs.

I might have posted this already(at some time), but here's a guy who never did make it as a "guitar hero".  ;) 

The tune SCRATCHY came out in mid '62.  Only got to #80 on Billboard, so not really even a one HIT wonder.  But as a kid and aspiring guitar player, I liked it!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...