Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GOP madness Unbound...

35 minutes ago, TheCid said:

While many in the GOP did oppose Trump, they let him be nominated with no serious opposition.  They did fall in line and endorsed and/or actively supported him.  They contributed to his campaigns.  Once elected, they approved ALL of his nominees for ALL offices so far.  They have tried as hard as possible to undermine any serious investigation of anything Trump and Company have done.

I assume Cruz and Rubio would disagree that they were not serious opposition.   After Trump won the nomination of course members of the GOP and the GOP established supported THEIR candidate.   Duh.   

Yes, they approved his nominees which is what always happens.   In addition not bucking the President on his nominees helps ensure the President signed legislation (E.g. the tax bill).      So I assume Mitch and other Senate leaders are doing so for that reason, which again, is politics 101.

I'm surprised you have what I believe are unreasonable expectations as it relates to how a major political party in the USA would treat their own President.    

23 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The GOP establishment was clearly against Trump during the primary.   Trump won anyway.     

As for what you call complacency;  what is it you want GOP leaders do to?    Send out Tweets?     If your thinking of impeachment,  that wouldn't be right since it isn't clear yet if Trump has committed any crimes.    Now if the investigations reveals that Trump did commit crimes and the GOP is still complacent (I.e. the House doesn't vote to impeach),  than I'll yell from the rooftops.  

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't see where the GOP establishment is being a 'yes' man to Trump.   Yea, they have mostly remained silent,  but again what is gained by WORDS (calling out Trump).   It might make one feel good but it doesn't change what Trump will do or not do (in fact it likely has the opposite effect).

Instead the GOP is passing legislation like the Tax Plan that has been something the GOP has been trying to do for over a decade.     They need Trump to sign such legislation.   This is the GOP view of 'think America'.

As for Christianity;  that is just another phony religion so I don't see how that applies to politics.   What you want the GOP to impeach Trump because he isn't being a good Christian?      

23 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume Cruz and Rubio would disagree that they were not serious opposition.   After Trump won the nomination of course members of the GOP and the GOP established supported THEIR candidate.   Duh.   

Yes, they approved his nominees which is what always happens.   In addition not bucking the President on his nominees helps ensure the President signed legislation (E.g. the tax bill).      So I assume Mitch and other Senate leaders are doing so for that reason, which again, is politics 101.

I'm surprised you have what I believe are unreasonable expectations as it relates to how a major political party in the USA would treat their own President.    

Please carefully read your first two posts.  That is what I was responding to.  As for opposition, the vast majority of the party itself did not offer serious opposition.  A few opponents for the nomination don't count.

Trump will sign whatever bills they placed before him even if many nominees had been rejected.  How else would he be able to claim HIS tax bill was passed and HIS programs are being instituted.

As for my expectations, I was replying to the context of your first two posts, which apparently you forgot.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't see where the GOP establishment is being a 'yes' man to Trump.   Yea, they have mostly remained silent,  but again what is gained by WORDS (calling out Trump).   It might make one feel good but it doesn't change what Trump will do or not do (in fact it likely has the opposite effect).

Instead the GOP is passing legislation like the Tax Plan that has been something the GOP has been trying to do for over a decade.     They need Trump to sign such legislation.   This is the GOP view of 'think America'.

As for Christianity;  that is just another phony religion so I don't see how that applies to politics.   What you want the GOP to impeach Trump because he isn't being a good Christian?      

If someone threatens me and I remain silent and do nothing I could be in danger. I am saying "yes" to whoever threatens me. Remaining silent is a yes, in this case.

And adopting the attitude that what one might to do to solve a problem will have no effect and therefore do nothing is capitulation. Allowing one to lead us down the road to degradation without resistance is absurd. 

I may agree with you regarding religion in general but to say that it does not apply to politics is incorrect. You know that.

And, James, you keep bringing up impeachment. The current discussion precedes that. At this point, the hope is that the Grand Old Party will show a little life some day (before it's too late).

• Like 1
Just now, laffite said:

If someone threatens me and I remain silent and do nothing I could be in danger. I am saying "yes" to whoever threatens me. Remaining silent is a yes, in this case.

And adopting the attitude that what one might to do to solve a problem will have no effect and therefore do nothing is capitulation. Allowing one to lead us down the road to degradation without resistance is absurd. 

I may agree with you regarding religion in general but to say that it does not apply to politics is incorrect. You know that.

And, James, you keep bringing up impeachment. The current discussion precedes that. At this point, the hope is that the Grand Old Party will show a little life some day (before it's too late).

The GOP is doing fine right now.   Most power in over 50s years and with a President that is so dumb he will sign anything just to get a 'win'.       Now heading into 2018 especially in the General election if it appears Trump will cause the GOP to lose a majority in House (or even the Senate,  but that is a long shot),    then GOP politicians will speak up and throw Trump under the bus.    

As for my religion comment;  I meant that it is phony as it relates to politics.   I.e. politicians use it to get votes and the suckers eat it up like candy.    

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

David Brooks: “The rot that has brought us to the brink of Senator Roy Moore began long ago. Starting with Sarah Palin and the spread of Fox News, the G.O.P. traded an ethos of excellence for an ethos of hucksterism.”

Newt Gingrich's Contract with America, the government shutdown and his mother calling First Lady Hillary Clinton " uneGarce".

I was in Paris at the time and I learned a new word, as it appeared in all the Parisian newspapers.

*But the filth truly started with Goldwater in 1964: " extremism in the defense of freedom is no Vice".

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jakeem said:

Bannon showed up in Alabama looking like "a scruffy out-of-work homeless guy," "ranting and raving about the so-called establishment in Washington," Karl Rove just said on Fox News. "Not a winning message," Rove said.

If any Republican knows what " Not a Winning Message" is, then Karl Rove should know it. Like the failed message that he spun on Fox and other right-wing media outlets and publications for Mitt Romney's presidential bid in 2012. 

Mitch McConnell take note - - Karl Rove is not getting any more Koch Brothers money in this century.

15 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

by next week when the tax plan is passed schtootzes like cory booker will be ranting about the GOP ignoring the mandate of the alabama special election.:lol:

I can appreciate it that you don't like Cory Booker, but this thread is about silly Republicans. Cory Booker is a Democrat.

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I can appreciate it that you don't like Cory Booker, but this thread is about silly Republicans. Cory Booker is a Democrat.

The point is that with all this GOP madness,  they are going to pass a Tax Plan that they have been dreaming about for decades.    So in this way they are crazy like a fox.   

• Like 1

American Taliban -

"...They were using their votes to maintain a class of people whose labor would help to make the people who they served rich. It wasn’t cynical. It was purposeful.

Republicans aren’t a political party anymore. They’re the American Taliban. They’ve set out to lay waste to America as we’ve known it, and it’s gotten a lot harder to keep up with them, hasn’t it? The evil buggers have been nibbling away at us like ducks for so long there is hardly any flesh left on our bones...

They’re not stopping there.They aren’t even pretending anymore. They’re running on this stuff. Suppress the votes of fellow citizens who are black, latino, and poor? Check. Keep them in poverty by refusing to raise the $7.25 minimum wage? Check. Allow owners of restaurants to collect tips and dole them out any **** way they want? Check. Take away the ability of teachers to deduct money they spend out of their own pocket to help educate their students? Check. Tax contract workers’ income at regular rates while taxing owners’ pass-through income at lower rates? Check. Lower corporate tax rates while raising workers’ taxes? Check. Repeal the Johnson Amendment so billionaires could make tax-deductible “donations” to churches which could turn around and spend the same money on political campaigns? Check. Make it harder for workers to file discrimination suits? Check. Make it easier for polluters to foul the air and water? Check. Appoint a Secretary of Education who wants to privatize public education? Check. Allow billionaires to deduct certain expenses for their Gulfstreams? Check. Leave in place laws that allow offshore trusts and other tax avoidance schemes used by millionaires and billionaires? Check. Prepare the upcoming 2020 Census so it will provide a population count ripe for corrupt gerrymandering? Check. Pass an insane law that will enable lunatics to carry concealed guns across state lines into places where concealed-carry is illegal? Check.
It’s not a nightmare, it’s a goddamned political program, and they don’t need Donald Trump to carry it out. .....

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/13/american-taliban/?page=1A

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

American Taliban -

"...They were using their votes to maintain a class of people whose labor would help to make the people who they served rich. It wasn’t cynical. It was purposeful.

Republicans aren’t a political party anymore. They’re the American Taliban. They’ve set out to lay waste to America as we’ve known it, and it’s gotten a lot harder to keep up with them, hasn’t it? The evil buggers have been nibbling away at us like ducks for so long there is hardly any flesh left on our bones...

They’re not stopping there.They aren’t even pretending anymore. They’re running on this stuff. Suppress the votes of fellow citizens who are black, latino, and poor? Check. Keep them in poverty by refusing to raise the $7.25 minimum wage? Check. Allow owners of restaurants to collect tips and dole them out any **** way they want? Check. Take away the ability of teachers to deduct money they spend out of their own pocket to help educate their students? Check. Tax contract workers’ income at regular rates while taxing owners’ pass-through income at lower rates? Check. Lower corporate tax rates while raising workers’ taxes? Check. Repeal the Johnson Amendment so billionaires could make tax-deductible “donations” to churches which could turn around and spend the same money on political campaigns? Check. Make it harder for workers to file discrimination suits? Check. Make it easier for polluters to foul the air and water? Check. Appoint a Secretary of Education who wants to privatize public education? Check. Allow billionaires to deduct certain expenses for their Gulfstreams? Check. Leave in place laws that allow offshore trusts and other tax avoidance schemes used by millionaires and billionaires? Check. Prepare the upcoming 2020 Census so it will provide a population count ripe for corrupt gerrymandering? Check. Pass an insane law that will enable lunatics to carry concealed guns across state lines into places where concealed-carry is illegal? Check.
It’s not a nightmare, it’s a goddamned political program, and they don’t need Donald Trump to carry it out. .....

I don't see anything that is a surprise here.   They are all items that some members of the GOP have been wanting to do for decades but they just didn't have the power.       Of course it's a political program!!!  

since when was the democratic party ever concerned about letting the middle class keep more of their money???

how much money was wasted on social programs that never worked like affirmative action?

consider this.  if the GOP is so intent on favoring billionaires and the like at everyone else's expense then why hasn't it ever occurred to the democrats to let people keep more of their money by massive tax breaks for the middle class???

they say we are hurting but still insist on sucking those they profess to care about even drier.

if GOP greed is as unrelenting as they say...well then!

where is their show of compassion?:huh:

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

since when was the democratic party ever concerned about letting the middle class keep more of their money???

how much money was wasted on social programs that never worked like affirmative action?

consider this.  if the GOP is so intent on favoring billionaires and the like at everyone else's expense then why hasn't it ever occurred to the democrats to let people keep more of their money by massive tax breaks for the middle class???

they say we are hurting but still insist on sucking those they profess to care about even drier.

if GOP greed is as unrelenting as they say...well then!

where is their show of compassion?:huh:

Social Security and Medicare all came from the Democratic Party. I wonder how many people on this website are benefiting from both those programs now. We can also include food stamps and public housing.

• 3 weeks later...

Kurt EichenwaldVerified account @kurteichenwald 22h22 hours ago

AT&T gave bonuses saying "Because of the tax bill!!" Trump said, "See? More money, more jobs. Tax bill!!!"

ATT now says that on 3/14/18, 1000s of people who got those one-time bonuses are being fired. AT&T will save more in a week than it paid in bonuses.

Gonna take credit, GOP?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

biden did no less for obama.:P

Not even close to Mike "it's a privilege to shine your shoes" Pence.  But I shouldn't expect you to see this.  You probably go to bed and dream about such a job every night.  Your unnatural worship of this orange goat is rather too plain to see.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...