Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr6666

GOP madness Unbound...

Just now, mr6666 said:

After Stephen Miller's white nationalist views outed, Latinos ask, 'where's the GOP outrage?'

“I would implore my Republican colleagues to join us in calling for Stephen Miller’s resignation,” says a Democratic lawmaker.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/after-stephen-miller-s-white-nationalist-views-outed-latinos-ask-n1096071?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

<_<

"After Stephen Miller's white nationalist views outed, Latinos ask, 'where's the GOP outrage?"  Silly question.  We're talking about the Republican Party and the Party of Trump.    There is no outrage.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, TheCid said:

"After Stephen Miller's white nationalist views outed, Latinos ask, 'where's the GOP outrage?"  Silly question.  We're talking about the Republican Party and the Party of Trump.    There is no outrage.

I'm sure it was a rhetorical question.  The Republican party as we knew it is dead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A former Republican Congress member explains what happened to his party

And why it belongs to Trump now.

"...... Trump has exposed a lot about who we are as a country and who Republicans are as a party. But the partisanship problem is less about the people in the party and more about the structural forces driving hyper-partisan decision-making.

The big three for me are gerrymandering, closed primaries, and big money. All of this puts so much pressure on people to conform or compromise.

....The Republican Party is in long-term trouble. The demographics of the nation are shifting away from hardcore Republican conservatism and they’re basically doubling down on that while relying on these rigged elements of the system to help them keep power. That’s not a good place to be in.

The reason Trump won was because he brought in populism, not conservatism. I don’t see who follows that. Who’s the populist in the Republican Party that comes next? I don’t see one.

I think it’s a return to conservatism and largely white male flyover state conservatism, which statistically just isn’t going to put Republicans in office a decade from now."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/12/6/20993403/impeachment-hearing-trump-congress-david-jolly

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

A former Republican Congress member explains what happened to his party

And why it belongs to Trump now.

"...... Trump has exposed a lot about who we are as a country and who Republicans are as a party. But the partisanship problem is less about the people in the party and more about the structural forces driving hyper-partisan decision-making.

The big three for me are gerrymandering, closed primaries, and big money. All of this puts so much pressure on people to conform or compromise.

....The Republican Party is in long-term trouble. The demographics of the nation are shifting away from hardcore Republican conservatism and they’re basically doubling down on that while relying on these rigged elements of the system to help them keep power. That’s not a good place to be in.

The reason Trump won was because he brought in populism, not conservatism. I don’t see who follows that. Who’s the populist in the Republican Party that comes next? I don’t see one.

I think it’s a return to conservatism and largely white male flyover state conservatism, which statistically just isn’t going to put Republicans in office a decade from now."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/12/6/20993403/impeachment-hearing-trump-congress-david-jolly

Who said this?

Closed primaries are NOT a problem.  S.C. has open primaries and the Republicans still nominate the most extreme conservatives for almost all positions.  Sen. Lindsay Graham is the most "liberal" Republican in elective office from S.C.  All others are to his right.

While S.C. has open primaries very few Republicans vote in the Democratic Primary.  This year may be different since the GOPers cancelled the presidential primary.  The S.C. presidential primary is fourth vote in the nation so it is getting a lot of attention.   Normally about 2/3's of Dem primary voters are black.

Is big money really a problem?  While the GOPers raise more, the Dems seem to do pretty good at it as well.

I think what happened to the GOP that let Trump take over goes beyond this.  The Dems came up with a very weak candidate in H. Clinton and they failed to react appropriately to Trump's campaign.   The GOP contenders had just as much, if not more, big money than Trump and they lost to him.

The Republicans do not know how to handle Trump and have failed to reign him in.  He has mastered the ability to gin up his base and those are the people who make or break Republicans from the county to Washington.

Gerrymandering is a problem, but it is one that the Republicans created well before Trump.

The partisanship began well before Trump even thought about running for president.  In 2009, Senate Majority Leader McConnell said his only goal was to make sure Obama was a one-term president.  The rest of the GOPers from the counties to Congress signed on with him.

All these former Republican office holders bemoaning the state of the party were there when it began.

So, the Republicans created this problem all on their own and then lost control to Trump.

"In modern history, we've never gone after impeaching a president in the first term" -- Kevin McCarthy argues that

there's a precedent against impeaching presidents

before their second term

• Haha 1

Just now, mr6666 said:

"In modern history, we've never gone after impeaching a president in the first term" -- Kevin McCarthy argues that

there's a precedent against impeaching presidents

before their second term

Foiled. How did we forget about the “Presidential Right to First-Term Crime Spree” clause of the Constitution?
:rolleyes:
  • Haha 1

Lev Parnas is contributor to Sen. Kevin McCarthy.

Looks like the Minority Leader is in the Ukraine loop.

When will Rudy show up in his phone records.

It is as if Putin has taken control of the GOP.

What in hell are they doing? Will a reporter please ask him?

-_-
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Republican National Committee chair Ronna McDaniel on Trump's influence on the state of the Republican party:

"I think he has actually expanded the party. But he’s retained a lot of the core elements of the party.

That’s why so many Republicans support him."
  • Haha 1

Trump re-election adviser told Wisconsin Republicans the party “traditionally” relied on voter suppression to compete in battleground states

but will be able to “start playing offense” due to relaxed Election Day rules, according to audio obtained by AP.

<_<
  • Sad 1

Report: FBI looking into pardons by ex-Kentucky Gov. Bevin

A murderer and a child rapist were among those whom the gov pardoned during his final weeks in office.

"...........Bevin pardoned Patrick Brian Baker, who was convicted of reckless homicide and other crimes in a fatal 2014 home break-in in Knox County. Prosecutors say Baker and another man posed as police officers to gain entry to Donald Mills' home, and Mills was shot in front of his wife.

Baker's family raised $21,500 at a political fundraiser last year for Bevin and Baker's brother and sister-in-law also gave $4,000 to Bevin's re-election campaign on the day of the fundraiser,.........

Bevin, who was defeated last month by Democrat Andrew Beshear, also came under fire for pardoning Micah Schoettle, who was sentenced last year to 23 years in prison for rape, **** and other sexual crimes, according to Courier-Journal. The victim told police the abuse started when she was nine and lasted until she was 12, the newspaper reported.

Those particular pardons have led several Kentucky lawmakers to ask the state’s incoming attorney general to investigate the orders......

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/report-fbi-looking-pardons-ex-kentucky-gov-bevin-n1106961?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

:unsure:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Report: FBI looking into pardons by ex-Kentucky Gov. Bevin

A murderer and a child rapist were among those whom the gov pardoned during his final weeks in office.

"...........Bevin pardoned Patrick Brian Baker, who was convicted of reckless homicide and other crimes in a fatal 2014 home break-in in Knox County. Prosecutors say Baker and another man posed as police officers to gain entry to Donald Mills' home, and Mills was shot in front of his wife.

Baker's family raised $21,500 at a political fundraiser last year for Bevin and Baker's brother and sister-in-law also gave $4,000 to Bevin's re-election campaign on the day of the fundraiser,.........

Bevin, who was defeated last month by Democrat Andrew Beshear, also came under fire for pardoning Micah Schoettle, who was sentenced last year to 23 years in prison for rape, **** and other sexual crimes, according to Courier-Journal. The victim told police the abuse started when she was nine and lasted until she was 12, the newspaper reported.

Those particular pardons have led several Kentucky lawmakers to ask the state’s incoming attorney general to investigate the orders......

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/report-fbi-looking-pardons-ex-kentucky-gov-bevin-n1106961?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

:unsure:

I read the article, but I didn't notice the basis for investigating.  Are they trying to charge him with accepting "bribes" or something?  Even then I haven't heard of any financial or other benefits Bevin received re: the Schoettle pardons.

Can the pardons be reversed?  I doubt it.

Republican Congressman

just Tweeted a doctored photo that makes it look like President Obama met with the President of Iran.

Make no mistake, this is exactly the kind of thing Republicans are going to do in 2020 to hold onto power.

<_<  :(

• Sad 1

Trump Jr. displays gun magazine showing Hillary Clinton behind bars

Donald Trump. Jr. on Sunday shared a picture of himself on Instagram holding an AR-15 style rifle featuring a magazine with an illustration of former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton behind bars.

“Nice day at the range.“@rarebreedfirearms and @spikes_tactical adding a little extra awesome to my AR and that mag,” Trump Jr. said in a post about his rifle and the magazine, an apparent reference to the frequent "lock her up" chants that erupt at Trump campaign rallies.

© UPI Photo

President Trump’s son Donald Trump. Jr. on Sunday shared a picture of himself on Instagram holding an AR-15 style rifle featuring a magazine with an illustration of former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton behind bars.

“Nice day at the range.“@rarebreedfirearms and @spikes_tactical adding a little extra awesome to my AR and that mag,” Trump Jr. said in a post about his rifle and the magazine, an apparent reference to the frequent "lock her up" chants that erupt at Trump campaign rallies.

The rifle is also adorned with the image of a cross symbol used amid the Crusades. The Instagram post featured a variety of pictures of the AR-15 style rifle, which was made by Texas-based Rare Breed Firearms and named the Crusader. ..........

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/477014-trump-jr-displays-gun-magazine-showing-hillary-clinton-behind-bars

-_-

• Sad 1

Asked about Bolton, Susan Collins echoes McConnell’s position on witnesses.

She says the Senate should follow the Clinton trial precedent and decide on witnesses later.

She did not answer directly when I asked if she personally wants to hear from Bolton.

giphy.gif

<_<
  • Haha 1

How Lindsey Graham Lost His Way

The senator once enjoyed respect on both sides of the aisle. Why has he become a blind loyalist to Trump?

".......... “The way to understand him is to look at what’s consistent. And essentially what he is in American politics is what, in the aquatic world, would be a pilot fish: a smaller fish that hovers about a larger predator, like a shark, living off of its detritus. That’s Lindsey. And when he swam around the McCain shark, broadly viewed as a virtuous and good shark, Lindsey took on the patina of virtue. But wherever the apex shark is, you find the Lindsey fish hovering about, and Trump’s the newest shark in the sea. Lindsey has a real draw to power — but he’s found it unattainable on his own merits.” ........

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/lindsey-graham-senate-trump-928948/

-_-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just asked Mitt Romney if he has any concerns with McConnell coordinating with the WH on trial,

and Romney said: “I’m sure the leader will provide impartial justice.”
11:43 AM · Jan 7, 2020

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, jakeem said:

d0Q4voGK_bigger.jpg

Donald Trump Jr. shares image of AR-15 with depiction of Hillary Clinton behind bars https://cbsn.ws/37Hi218

5:59 PM · Jan 6, 2020·Sprinklr

On 1/6/2020 at 5:11 PM, mr6666 said:

Donald Trump. Jr. on Sunday shared a picture of himself on Instagram holding an AR-15 style rifle featuring a magazine with an illustration of former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton behind bars.

© UPI Photo

President Trump’s son Donald Trump. Jr. on Sunday shared a picture of himself on Instagram holding an AR-15 style rifle featuring a magazine with an illustration of former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton behind bars.

The rifle is also adorned with the image of a cross symbol used amid the Crusades. The Instagram post featured a variety of pictures of the AR-15 style rifle, which was made by Texas-based Rare Breed Firearms and named the Crusader. ..........

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/477014-trump-jr-displays-gun-magazine-showing-hillary-clinton-behind-bars

-_-

This is the kind of stunt that would get a high school student expelled.

This is the kind of stunt that appeals to a lot of trump supporters, who probably did similar things and never graduated from high school anyway.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mr6666 said:

How Lindsey Graham Lost His Way

The senator once enjoyed respect on both sides of the aisle. Why has he become a blind loyalist to Trump?

".......... “The way to understand him is to look at what’s consistent. And essentially what he is in American politics is what, in the aquatic world, would be a pilot fish: a smaller fish that hovers about a larger predator, like a shark, living off of its detritus. That’s Lindsey. And when he swam around the McCain shark, broadly viewed as a virtuous and good shark, Lindsey took on the patina of virtue. But wherever the apex shark is, you find the Lindsey fish hovering about, and Trump’s the newest shark in the sea. Lindsey has a real draw to power — but he’s found it unattainable on his own merits.” ........

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/lindsey-graham-senate-trump-928948/

-_-

Better article than I expected.  I do believe Folkes is wrong about Graham's 2017 polling being disastrous.  It was, but that was three years before the GOP primary and as the article states, Graham knows when to pivot right and wins every time.  In 2014, he had 7 or 8 Republicans all running to his right.  They beat him to death with all his moderate activities.  He won the primary without a runoff

The mentioned 1994 election that propelled Graham into the US House  occurred in the district where I live.  The long serving Democratic representative saw the handwriting on the wall and retired.  It had become one of, if not the most, Republican districts in the state.  

Graham's Democratic opponent (whom I will probably vote for) doesn't stand a snow ball's chance in my opinion.  The reference to the Democrat winning the Charleston area House seat is not really relevant.  That seat will very likely revert to the GOPers in 2020 when Trump and Graham are on the ballot.  Also, the other GOP senator from S.C. is from Charleston.

• Thanks 1

Feels odd that when Trump defends our geopolitical foe Russia 100% of the time for years and years
the GOP is cool with it

but when Democrats say OK Iran's a geopolitical foe but maybe not a massive war with them right now
the GOP is like *stop defending our enemies you traitors*

:blink:
  • Sad 1

Rand Paul just now accuses Lindsey Graham of putting on a "fake drape of patriotism"

after Graham suggests Paul's demand for a War Powers debate empowers the enemy.
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

"You're empowering the enemy." Sen.

slammed Sen. Rand Paul and Sen. Mike Lee's criticism of the Iran briefing.

http://hill.cm/wJXz3WR

"Feels odd that when Trump defends our geopolitical foe Russia 100% of the time for years and years
the GOP is cool with it

but when Democrats say OK Iran's a geopolitical foe but maybe not a massive war with them right now
the GOP is like *stop defending our enemies you traitors*

:rolleyes:
  • Sad 1