Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GOP madness Unbound...

17 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Seth Abramson (@)

@SethAbramson

·

3h

BREAKING NEWS: Top Trump Ally Ron DeSantis (Republican Governor of Florida)

Finally Issues Statewide Stay-at-Home Order

After Many, Many Days of Criticism, Illness, and Death Across Florida

https://tampabay.com/news/health/20

-_-

Churches are exempt from the stay at home order.

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Depends on the state.

I was referring to the FL stay at home order just issued.  This was reported on Moanin' Joe this AM.  The FL order apparently specifically exempted churches or religious services.  

Georgia's governor didn't know how the virus was getting spread...too bad he's unable to read, or change the channel from faux news...from Esquire

Brian Kemp Is What You Get When Allegiance to Trump Is All That Matters

Georgia’s Republican governor announced his reversal on social distancing policies with a stunning admission.

One issue for Republican politics at the moment is that the only criterion that matters for anyone seeking power—absolute fealty to Donald Trump—rarely seems to overlap with competence. "It's by nature almost impossible for Trump to build an administration of quality," historian Douglas Brinkley told me what seems a lifetime ago "It's not about good governance or ethics or even dead-rock patriotism. It's about full-bore allegiance to him, to Trump." This is true of the president's Cabinet and someone like Wilbur Ross, the Secretary of Commerce, who predicted in January that the novel coronavirus outbreak would be good for American jobs. 10 million people have filed for unemployment in the last two weeks.

But it's also true of the new class of Republican governors, who have pledged allegiance to The Leader, but who are also often feckless morons. Exhibit A is one Brian Kemp, governor of Georgia. Mr. Kemp ran for the top job in 2018 while he was secretary of state, meaning he had authority to administer state elections, and he refused to recuse himself from overseeing the gubernatorial election in which he was running. This is known as a conflict of interest. In a shocking turn of events, there was a lot of sketchy **** around voter suppression in that election. (In the last few days, both the Republican president and Georgia Speaker of the House David Ralston have said outright that it is to the party's detriment for more Americans to vote.) Anyway, Kemp oversaw his own narrow victory over Stacey Abrams, and now he's the governor during a worldwide pandemic.

In his very finite wisdom, Kemp did not put in place statewide mitigation measures like social distancing until Wednesday, when he announced his reversal with a stunning admission.

A stunning admission of deadly ignorance from Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, who says he only just learned that asymptomatic people can transmit #Covid19. “ndividuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours.”

Embedded video

There is simply no way you could have been paying any attention over the last month—or really months—and not know that coronavirus can be spread by people who are not exhibiting symptoms. No way. Even your average Hannity viewer must surely know this by now. After all, Ol' Sean is on a campaign these days to pretend he's always taken this seriously. But somehow, the governor of the nation's ninth-largest state was completely unaware of asymptomatic transmission until sometime between Tuesday and Wednesday—and it scared him!

Unfortunately, this is what you get when "competent administration" is not among your criteria for choosing a state executive. All you need to make it in Republican politics these days is to lash yourself to Trump and start yelling about immigrant crime. Just to Georgia's south, there's Florida, where Governor Ron DeSantis rose to lead the nation's fourth-largest state as another Trumpish clone.

Related Stories

As a result, his primary response until the last few days was to suggest that the virus was a New York Problem, mandating that anyone traveling from the Empire State—which has been hardest hit—quarantine themselves when they arrive in Florida. Every problem can be traced to some external enemy, against whom retribution can be taken in order to remedy the issue. This response was an anachronism, however: the virus was almost certainly floating around Florida already. It probably didn't help that DeSantis refused to close the state's beaches before thousands from all over the country came down for Spring Break, where they mingled together until it was time to go home and bring with them whatever they picked up during the festivities. In fairness, DeSantis's Democratic opponent in that gubernatorial election was recently found in a hotel room with another guy and some meth. Florida.

But Kemp in particular is an emblem of the militant ignorance which is now required to make it in Republican political life. If you actually know things, you will frequently find yourself in disagreement with the president, so it's best to dunk your head in the sand and, when you occasionally come up for air, bash immigrants. The president was briefed on the full catastrophic possibilities of the COVID-19 pandemic in January—including that China was fudging its numbers on how bad the situation was there—and chose to downplay the problem for the better part of two months in public. A little over a month ago, he said the number of U.S. cases would go from 15 to zero in a miraculous turn of events. Now there are 214,000 cases in the United States—including 7,700 in Florida and nearly 5,000 in Georgia—and the president has suggested his administration will have done a "good job" if 200,000 Americans die. It's almost like governing is a hard job that requires people with intelligence and skill to do it.

JACK HOLMES Politics EditorJack Holmes is the Politics Editor at Esquire, where he writes daily and edits the Politics Blog with Charles P Pierce.
  • Sad 2
5 hours ago, jakeem said:

y6yTzWn6_bigger.png

Donald Trump’s political operation is launching a multimillion-dollar legal campaign aimed at blocking Democrats from drastically changing voting rules in response to the coronavirus outbreak

9:01 AM · Apr 3, 2020·Hootsuite Inc.

7uwwMoMz_bigger.jpg

Replying to

Why, of course they are! Voter suppression is always a cornerstone of the Republican election handbook. Heaven forbid we actually accommodate people with voting during a pandemic.

9:05 AM · Apr 3, 2020·Twitter for Android

Trying to block the majority of Americans from voting is the major political strategy of trump and the GOP.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 3/31/2020 at 2:23 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Often they are not "liquor stores" but instead stores that sell liquor  (i.e. they sell food and medicine also which of course is essential).     It is my understanding that a store that only sells liquor is a NON-essential business.

Of course you live in Kansas which might still have laws (like Utah had \ has?),  that only allow the selling of liquor to be sold in liquor-store-only shops (in some states that applies only to the hard stuff,,,,  beer and wine can be sold in a grocery store).

Anyhow,    I don't view liquor as an essential item so if I was the Governor in a state that had liquor-store-only shops I would close them down.      

Liquor consumption is up 40%  I wonder why.  It's essential.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Liquor consumption is up 40%  I wonder why.  It's essential.

I just saw a TV piece on liquor stores in Kansas City.

The liquor store owners said when the stay-at-home order was first issued the customers went crazy and started buying alcohol by the case.

But when they realized liquor stores would be put in the essential category, their business slowed considerably.

For the first wave they were showing videos of customers using beer truck dollies to take out their supplies to their vehicles.

Kansas and Missouri are beer kegs states. LOL

21 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I just saw a TV piece on liquor stores in Kansas City.

The liquor store owners said when the stay-at-home order was first issued the customers went crazy and started buying alcohol by the case.

But when they realized liquor stores would be put in the essential category, their business slowed considerably.

For the first wave they were showing videos of customers using beer truck dollies to take out their supplies to their vehicles.

Kansas and Missouri are beer kegs states. LOL

Someone in London sent me a photo they took in Sainsbury's which is a huge grocery store and the wine shelves were bare as far as you could see.

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

LnvhR8ED_bigger.png

CNN

Eight US governors have decided against issuing statewide directives urging their residents to stay at home as the outbreak of the coronavirus escalates and spreads across the country, the last holdouts in the nation.

11:02 AM · Apr 4, 2020·SocialFlow

Yes, Virginia--

There is a Santa Claus.

But there is no hope for the intelligence or Humanity of these eight Republican Governors who are trump lackeys and who obviously care more about pleasing him,

Than about saving the lives of people in their own state.

• Sad 1
37 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Yes, Virginia--

There is a Santa Claus.

But there is no hope for the intelligence or Humanity of these eight Republican Governors who are trump lackeys and who obviously care more about pleasing him,

Than about saving the lives of people in their own state.

Reading up on this I don't think the main reason is that they are Trump lackeys (even though they are):     Reading their comments the main reason appears to be that they are against government overreach.     E.g. some said that the USA isn't like China (well duh),  as it relates to personal freedom.     

So my take is that they are acting like numskulls  (at best),  because they don't wish to upset potential voters who also feel that individual freedom trumps government overreach,  even during a major crisis like this.    I.e. their main motive is to ensure re-election.        Sadly it appears the citizens in these states are as clueless as their Governors (which makes sense since they voted for these fools).       I.e. way too many of the citizens believe the right to do as they please is more important then protecting their fellow citizens from harm.

Selfish a-holes.     

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Reading up on this I don't think the main reason is that they are Trump lackeys (even though they are):     Reading their comments the main reason appears to be that they are against government overreach.     E.g. some said that the USA isn't like China (well duh),  as it relates to personal freedom.     

So my take is that they are acting like numskulls  (at best),  because they don't wish to upset potential voters who also feel that individual freedom trumps government overreach,  even during a major crisis like this.    I.e. their main motive is to ensure re-election.        Sadly it appears the citizens in these states are as clueless as their Governors (which makes sense since they voted for these fools).       I.e. way too many of the citizens believe the right to do as they please is more important then protecting their fellow citizens from harm.

Selfish a-holes.     

I guess personal freedom is a different matter when it comes to drafting young men from these States to go fight in a jungle half way around the world, or to deny women or gays their rights.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I guess personal freedom is a different matter when it comes to drafting young men from these States to go fight in a jungle half way around the world, or to deny women or gays their rights.

How is this relevant? 

The US has not had a draft since 1970.  Hundreds of thousands of " young men were drafted in WW II to go fight in jungles half way around the world."  [Not a direct quote, but gist of it.]  Just as they were in Canada, UK, et. al.  during WW II.   Not to mention WW I.  Hundreds of thousands of young Americans were drafted after WW II and sent to Europe to defend it against Soviet Union.

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Selfish a-holes.     

However, they are not opposed to government outreach when banning abortion or closing abortion clinics because of Covid 19.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, TheCid said:

How is this relevant? 

The US has not had a draft since 1970.  Hundreds of thousands of " young men were drafted in WW II to go fight in jungles half way around the world."  [Not a direct quote, but gist of it.]  Just as they were in Canada, UK, et. al.  during WW II.   Not to mention WW I.  Hundreds of thousands of young Americans were drafted after WW II and sent to Europe to defend it against Soviet Union.

I thought it was self evident.  The Governor in question is leaning on the argument that he won't impose rules on the people as that would be interference from the government.

Even Trump has said that they are at "war" with this virus.  When you go to war the government interferes with personal freedoms and choices for the good of all of the people.  I'm just pointing out a flaw in the non-interference argument.  Plus some of the governments interfere in the basic rights of gays and women all the time as is.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
12 hours ago, jakeem said:

qWDd71_8_bigger.jpg

"A longtime Republican fundraiser sent an email to his clients abruptly announcing he would no longer be working for them...He saw an opportunity to capitalize on the coronavirus response."

Just following the lead of this Trump administration...

7:04 AM · Apr 6, 2020·Twitter Web App

trumplicans always have their priorities in order--

" I Me Mine ".

LnvhR8ED_bigger.png

CNN

Wisconsin Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, a Republican, wore a mask, gloves and other protective gear as he sought to assure voters it was "incredibly safe" to vote in person for Tuesday's election amid the coronavirus pandemic

8:23 PM · Apr 7, 2020·SocialFlow

V1wNoJNM_bigger.jpg

I love it when a Wisconsin Republican (house speaker) in a hazmat suit tells me it’s a totally safe day to hold an election...

5:24 PM · Apr 7, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

The GOP will do anything to stay in office-- no matter how ignorant they look.

Mitch McConnell Is the Dry Rot in the Republican Party

That Made Donald Trump Possible

A new profile reinforces the notion that the Senate majority leader has no political conviction beyond the will to power.

......"Give up. You can look and look for something more in him, but it isn’t there. I wish I could tell you that there is some secret thing that he really believes in, but he doesn’t."

....That’s one of those quotes for which you make sure you save your notebook. Mitch McConnell, it tells us, has managed to enable a criminally negligent, criminally incompetent, and (likely) criminally criminal president* because Mitch McConnell is a vacant, soulless, unprincipled goon whose only allegiance is to his own power and to those forces in politics that allow him to maintain it.

Once again, it’s worth thinking deeply about the kind of politics that inevitably produces a Mitch McConnell, and that inevitably allows him to reach a position of considerable power.

What kind of party nurtures a Mitch McConnell? What is the philosophy of government that rewards a lack of civic virtues and principles?  ............

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a32147789/mitch-mcconnell-profile-republican-party-power-donald-trump/

:(

On 4/8/2020 at 7:03 PM, Princess of Tap said:

The GOP will do anything to stay in office-- no matter how ignorant they look.

Well the GOP State Supreme Court judge that Trump endorsed, and for which the State Republican apparatus and GOP-majority SC insisted the primary take place under pandemic conditions, has lost decisively!  Chalk it up for people realizing that Trump and his party have been endangering their lives, among many other things, and weren’t going to let their votes be suppressed, sending a November message loud and clear from the swingiest of swing states.

NrRRE0_b_bigger.jpg

Republican Rep. Trey Hollingsworth says letting more Americans die of the coronavirus is lesser of two evils compared to the economy tanking https://cnn.it/2RBg0Kq

7:21 PM · Apr 14, 2020·SocialFlow

Yes, this is a republican lawmaker who believes that killing Americans for the sake of the economy is a good thing.

I always heard that laissez-faire capitalism was rough on Americans, but this is ridiculous.

But if Trey thinks this is such a good idea, then maybe he should volunteer to go first.

GOP senators push for quick, partial reopening of economy

".......Public health officials have warned against expecting an immediate return to norms before the virus broke out in the U.S.

"There’s not going to be a light switch that we say, OK, it is now June, July, or whatever — click — the light switch goes back on,” Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN earlier this month. 

Fauci's caution earned him a call out from Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) and Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) — who are viewed as close to White House chief of staff Mark Meadows — who questioned if his recommendations would be "more harmful than the disease in the long term." 

"Fauci is a respected healthcare professional, who has contributed a great deal to his country.

But he can no longer be one of the primary voices in this crisis, especially not after his assertion that the economic effects and devastation from this shutdown are merely inconvenient," they wrote in a Washington Examiner op-ed. ........

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/492996-gop-senators-push-to-reopen-economy

<_<

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

CberzSvZ_bigger.jpg

It is not an exaggeration to say the @GOP is literally willing to *kill you* to protect the business interests of the wealthy. This is a U.S. Senator advocating sending Americans *to their deaths.*

8:58 PM · Apr 15, 2020·Twitter Web App

trumplicans are trying to replace MAGA

With--  PDFt:

People Dying For trump

Mitch McConnell says he favors allowing states to declare bankruptcy instead of a bailout

---------------------------------------------------------------

States & localities are facing increased pandemic costs while losing a tremendous amount of revenue because the economy is shut down.

They need & deserve funding from the federal government to keep them operating in the middle of this national crisis.