Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GOP madness Unbound...

mr6666

The New York Times is trying to defend a very poor op-ed.  One of my pet peeves is this country's obsession with treating medical doctors as being superior to all other people.  I value their expertise and appreciate them, but they are just like the rest of us.

Originally, doctors were people who had studied at medieval universities and became "professors."  In other words, non-medical doctors.

As for Dr. Biden, she earned the degree so the title is not "honorific."  Honorific is when a school gives an honorary doctorate to someone who speaks there or donated money.

The same goes for dropping the rank of someone who is either in the military or retired from the military.    Just as Trump will always be President Trump.  

"In the op-ed published Friday, author Joseph Epstein argued Jill Biden should drop the honorific because she is not a medical doctor but rather earned a doctorate in education. Epstein wrote that her use of the title "feels fraudulent, not to say a touch comic.""

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/media/wall-street-journal-dr-jill-biden/index.html

4 hours ago, ElCid said:

The New York Times is trying to defend a very poor op-ed.  One of my pet peeves is this country's obsession with treating medical doctors as being superior to all other people.  I value their expertise and appreciate them, but they are just like the rest of us.

Originally, doctors were people who had studied at medieval universities and became "professors."  In other words, non-medical doctors.

As for Dr. Biden, she earned the degree so the title is not "honorific."  Honorific is when a school gives an honorary doctorate to someone who speaks there or donated money.

The same goes for dropping the rank of someone who is either in the military or retired from the military.    Just as Trump will always be President Trump.  

"In the op-ed published Friday, author Joseph Epstein argued Jill Biden should drop the honorific because she is not a medical doctor but rather earned a doctorate in education. Epstein wrote that her use of the title "feels fraudulent, not to say a touch comic.""

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/media/wall-street-journal-dr-jill-biden/index.html

The op-ed in question was in the Wall Street Journal, not the New York Times.

Or are you talking about two different things?

At any rate, the Wall Street Journal op-ed was misogynistic and petty.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, mr6666 said:

<_<

Won't matter to Lindsay Graham because the majority of Trump Republican voters will still vote for him in primaries and contribute to his campaigns.  

The irony is that he just got reelected to a six year term.

Trump pressures Georgia SOS to "recalculate" the vote. - Breaking news.

From a recording given to the Washington Post of Trump talking to GOP Georgia SOS. 

“The people of Georgia are angry, the people in the country are angry,” he said. “And there’s nothing wrong with saying, you know, um, that you’ve recalculated.”

Raffensperger responded: “Well, Mr. President, the challenge that you have is, the data you have is wrong.”

At another point, Trump said: “So look. All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have. Because we won the state.”

The rambling and at times incoherent conversation offered a remarkable glimpse of how consumed and desperate the president remains about his loss, unwilling or unable to let the matter go and still believing he can reverse the results in enough battleground states to remain in office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-raffensperger-call-georgia-vote/2021/01/03/d45acb92-4dc4-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ElCid said:

This may very well become the gravest threat to the United States since the Civil War.  And the Republicans who are cooperating with Trump are co-conspirators and guilty of sedition.

Someone at DailyKos brought this up, so it is not my original thought. But for the GOP congresspersons from the states they are contesting - why is the vote for the president in those states illegitimate but their own elections are fine? If there is corruption in the state vote for president, then surely their own elections/reelections are also problematic? I wish Speaker Pelosi would press this issue when they try to disrupt the proceedings. 

And I wish the speaker would play this recording on the House floor. I'm sure the Post would oblige.

28 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Someone at DailyKos brought this up, so it is not my original thought. But for the GOP congresspersons from the states they are contesting - why is the vote for the president in those states illegitimate but their own elections are fine? If there is corruption in the state vote for president, then surely their own elections/reelections are also problematic? I wish Speaker Pelosi would press this issue when they try to disrupt the proceedings. 

And I wish the speaker would play this recording on the House floor. I'm sure the Post would oblige.

I agree and my wife and I have both thought of this back when the people in Congress and state elective offices began complaining of fraud and so forth.

And of course if this massive fraud took place in those five states, why not in all the other states as well?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Trump pressures Georgia SOS to "recalculate" the vote. - Breaking news.

From a recording given to the Washington Post of Trump talking to GOP Georgia SOS. 

“The people of Georgia are angry, the people in the country are angry,” he said. “And there’s nothing wrong with saying, you know, um, that you’ve recalculated.”

Raffensperger responded: “Well, Mr. President, the challenge that you have is, the data you have is wrong.”

At another point, Trump said: “So look. All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have. Because we won the state.”

The rambling and at times incoherent conversation offered a remarkable glimpse of how consumed and desperate the president remains about his loss, unwilling or unable to let the matter go and still believing he can reverse the results in enough battleground states to remain in office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-raffensperger-call-georgia-vote/2021/01/03/d45acb92-4dc4-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

Pretty clear this was leaked so that the GA SOS could have proof to stand up against the President's ridiculous and illegal demands.

If Trump called GA, wanna bet he called other states?   Are they going to stand up to him in the same way?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Pretty clear this was leaked so that the GA SOS could have proof to stand up against the President's ridiculous and illegal demands.

If Trump called GA, wanna bet he called other states?   Are they going to stand up to him in the same way?

Who are "they"?   (other state election officials,  I assume).

Anyhow,   each state's electors have already voted and that vote has been recorded.   (what the VP does is a formality).  So it doesn't matter that Trump may have "called other states" or that state officials "stand up to him".      Biden will be President in less then 3 weeks.

3 hours ago, ElCid said:

I agree and my wife and I have both thought of this back when the people in Congress and state elective offices began complaining of fraud and so forth.

And of course if this massive fraud took place in those five states, why not in all the other states as well?

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Who are "they"?   (other state election officials,  I assume).

Anyhow,   each state's electors have already voted and that vote has been recorded.   (what the VP does is a formality).  So it doesn't matter that Trump may have "called other states" or that state officials "stand up to him".      Biden will be President in less then 3 weeks.

Pronoun confusion...  Yes, "they" are the other state's election officials.

I agree it shouldn't matter in that the end result won't change.  Standing up to him would help in some measure to make a stand for the Constitution and against abuses of power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M4TfklR__bigger.jpg

It's wild that this is being said out loud, but there is some truth to the fact that consistently losing the popular vote and then also undermining the electoral college makes absolutely no sense for Republicans, in addition to all of the ways in which this scheme is nonsensical.
Quote Tweet

8mab9M7B_mini.jpg

David L. Noll

@davidlnoll
· 4h
Just an incredible statement https://massie.house.gov/news/email/show.aspx?ID=Z5MPA3CVK5FYZQ3KBYQIDSAWB4
Show this thread

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, mr6666 said:

<_<

I doubt she is either disappointed or troubled.  Embarrassed maybe because this will be the most significant quote of her career.  Just elected to another six year term as a REPUBLICAN.

The greatest GOP madness right now is Trump's driving down the vote in Georgia to apparently result in the loss of both Senate seats there.  Add in the GOPers who still support Trump.  He was not even able to help in the heavily Republican county that he visited Monday.

Part of the problem in GA was Kemp appointing a poorly qualified and electable person (Loeffler) to fill out the term there.  Warnock will have to run again in 2024.