Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GOP madness Unbound...

mr6666

4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:(

I can tell you that this is big issue for veterans and veterans organizations.  I get weekly (at least) emails and communications about how needed it is and how important it is to veterans.

A shame that these GOPers would vote against veterans and no matter what they say, that is exactly what they are doing.  The truly sad thing is that far too many veterans and service members will vote for them anyway simply because they are "Republican."

• Sad 1

Never have understood the Log Cabin Republicans (and I know a few personally) or why they try to stay in a party where much of its leadership doesn't want you, and never did.  I'm sure the recent hardline turn by some in the party against LGBT+ issues caused some pearl-clutching within the LCRs.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Never have understood the Log Cabin Republicans (and I know a few personally) or why they try to stay in a party where much of its leadership doesn't want you, and never did.  I'm sure the recent hardline turn by some in the party against LGBT+ issues caused some pearl-clutching within the LCRs.  

I think the problem is that the Republican Party that you and I knew back in the day and the party of Lincoln and Reagan is pretty much gone.  The party that emphasized trade and fiscal conservatism is gone.  While the party is supposedly anti-tax, it is still very much in favor of deficit spending.  Also, its anti-tax policies benefit corporations and the very wealthy.  Always have, but now they are almost ignoring the middle class and working class (which are often the same) and their economic needs.

Whereas social issues used to be 20-25% of the party's policies, they have now become 75-80% as far as the general public is concerned.

You are right, there is questionable reason for many to stay in the GOP and this includes the Lincoln Project people.  But, and this is a big but, the Democratic Party is not for them either.

What this country needs is for moderate Democrats, moderate independents and moderate Republicans to come together and create a real third party.  Not going to happen though.

1 minute ago, mr6666 said:

:blink:

Yeah, I see this a lot on Twitter, with various rightwing accounts tweeting about Biden's border "failure" by posting multiple huge drug seizures, captures of human-trafficking rings, and even an increase in suspected terrorists being apprehended trying to cross the border. Ted Cruz, Ronna McDaniel, and other state and national GOP groups and individuals post this stuff repeatedly. Are they really so clueless as to think this reflects poorly on Biden's job performance at the border, rather than acting to illustrate the good job being done there? I mean, once or twice, I can see them doing it without stopping to think that it illustrates the opposite of what they intend, but they do is so many times, it's just baffling.

• Thanks 1

I don't often hear about the Log Cabin Republicans anymore, wasn't even sure they  were still around. The idea used  to be that though

the GOP was more unfriendly to gays  than  the  Dems, the LCR agreed with the GOP on most issues  and just wouldn't vote for  a Democrat.

Whether  that has  changed in the last few years I don't know. 

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I don't often hear about the Log Cabin Republicans anymore, wasn't even sure they  were still around. The idea used  to be that though

the GOP was more unfriendly to gays  than  the  Dems, the LCR agreed with the GOP on most issues  and just wouldn't vote for  a Democrat.

Whether  that has  changed in the last few years I don't know. 

Once the marriage equality issue was settled by the Supreme Court, one of their primary issues went away, or so they thought.  That ruling in large part depends upon the same privacy cases that Roe v. Wade rests upon, so it might be up for grabs soon.  It's clear they're not wanted by the Texas GOP (and I think that's been the case all along), and it's likely not the only state GOP that feels that way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Once the marriage equality issue was settled by the Supreme Court, one of their primary issues went away, or so they thought.  That ruling in large part depends upon the same privacy cases that Roe v. Wade rests upon, so it might be up for grabs soon.  It's clear they're not wanted by the Texas GOP (and I think that's been the case all along), and it's likely not the only state GOP that feels that way.

I feel a little  sorry for them because their position has  always been rather precarious, but there's  something a bit humorous about a group

that keeps  on  trying to  fit into  a political party where they're often  as  welcome as ants  at a picnic, and  if the GOP  reverts to  their  old

position on gays it will only be worse. 

17 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

The only thing surprising to me here is that they didn't state that Christianity is the only legit religion.

Probably got into a debate over whether or not anything other than Protestantism or even Southern Baptist is the only legit religion.

13 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

That thought occurred to me as well and I am sure that there are people and groups working on introducing laws in states to prohibit marriages other than a man and a woman.

Probably some other issues that people are working on getting introduced in Republican controlled states so they can get the Supreme Court to reverse prior decisions.  Wouldn't be surprised that Title IX may be threatened. 

46 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

But, can you have more than one Second Coming in the Republican Party at one time?

Walker will be able to convince a majority of Republicans in GA that a vote for him is like 3 votes!  

• Haha 2