Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GOP madness Unbound...

mr6666

McConnell holding bipartisan chip manufacturing bill hostage.  He has threatened to not let the bill advance if the Democrats try to revive the reconciliation bill.

95,000 GM vehicles are sitting "warehoused" waiting for chips.  Vehicle production has been lowered because of chip shortage.  Thousands of automotive industry workers out of work.

McConnell plays politics.

• Sad 1

S.C. legislature enacted a law a few years ago requiring that the elected Superintendent of Education had to have an advanced degree. Judiciary has ruled that person has to have it by time sworn in in January following election.

In the Republican primary, at least one candidate did not have an advanced degree, although she said she was working on one.   She is in an on line program at the conservative, religious, private S.C. university from which she received her bachelor's degree.

It appears she has never been employed in a school setting.  She worked in two very conservative organizations.  Advocates school choice (public money going to private schools), "parents' rights" and so forth and against "wokeism" and "sexualization"of schools.

It was a very bitter campaign and I received some very harsh literature in opposition to her very well qualified opponent, who had led in the primary but lost in the run-off to the less qualified one.  "Another example of the statewide trend of hard-right conservatives ousting more moderate Republican candidates."

The "less qualified" candidate won the Republican run-off and therefore will be the next Supt. of Education in S.C.  There is a Democratic opponent, but not very likely at all to win.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article262955248.html

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Three senators in S.C. Senate have introduced a bill that not only outlaws abortion, but it also makes it a crime to assist anyone with getting an abortion or abortion information or abortion pills.  Speculation by legal community is that if a newspaper reported that a clinic in another state was still offering abortions, the newspaper could be charged with violating the law.  It "provided information."

• Sad 1

On 4/11/2018 at 7:21 PM, mr6666 said:

House Speaker Paul Ryan won't seek re-election

The latest and most high-profile departure from Congress,

he joins dozens of Republicans who have resigned or retired ahead of the 2018 midterms.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/paul-ryan/house-speaker-paul-ryan-won-t-seek-re-election-source-n864941

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve SchmidtVerified account @SteveSchmidtSES 8m8 minutes ago

Paul Ryan’s monument will be the the putrid and smoldering ruins of the Republican Party and conservative movement that he betrayed with his complicity and cowardice.

He lacked the guts to stand for decency and the wisdom to confront the threat of Trumpism.

...........“Ryan figured the president would **** and moan and maybe make a big show of ‘fighting’ for his supporters for a while,” Leibovich wrote in his book. “Everyone could feel good and victimized. But eventually Trump would just leave; hopefully, he would know to do this on his own. And everyone could then just get on with their lives.” .....

====================================

and YOU KNEW what he was.......& just slithered away before the slime could touch YOU

<_<

It is entirely possible that 2024 GOPer primary will be a repeat of 2016 primary.   Large number of candidates with almost all running against Trump, so the vote is divided and Trump wins the nomination.

Judging from number of potential candidates so far, it appears GOP may do same thing again.

38 minutes ago, ElCid said:

University of Georgia education.

There's a song, little known now, from the Bernstein/Comden & Green musical Wonderful Town (starring Rosalind Russell and a young Edie Adams), called "Pass the Football".  It's about a washed-up ex-college football quarterback.  It perfectly sums up the way football stars are coddled through the educational system from middle school through college.  And that was 70 years ago!

Some of the lyrics:

Look at me now,
Four years of college,
Famous professors
Tutoring me;

Scholarship kid,
Everything paid for,
Food and vacations,
All of it free.

Couldn’t spell a lick,
Couldn’t do arithmetic;
One and one made three,
Thought that dog was C-A-T,

Passed without a fuss
English Lit. and Calculus
Never had to cram
Even passed the bar exam

'Cause I passed that football
Like nothin' you have ever seen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Poor Herschel Walker;   He didn't have a lot of brains to begin with and the pounding he took as a running back in the NFL,  knocked out what little he had left.

But will he become a United States Senator?  Stay tuned.......😀

Hey, I'm an alumnus of UGA. Walker  attended UGA but he didn't graduate near the top of the class. In fact he didn't even graduate.

Great (party) school. Go Dawgs.   🐶

24 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Hey, I'm an alumnus of UGA. Walker  attended UGA but he didn't graduate near the top of the class. In face he didn't even graduate.

Great (party) school. Go Dawgs.   🐶

Roll Tide!  Lewis Grizzard was the greatest thing to come out of UGA.  Have all his books and CD's.

39 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Roll Tide!  Lewis Grizzard was the greatest thing to come out of UGA.  Have all his books and CD's.

I don't know about that. I admit  Grizzard  was funny, but he was  a little too conservative for my tastes, like an old timer  who couldn't

handle how things were changing in the culture. Kim Basinger  is  a UGA alumnus and various members of the B-52s and R.E.M. went

there, though I don't know how many graduated from UGA. Chip Caray  is an alum. His dad Skip was funny. I remember he once made

a comment about his  own college career that was  hilarious. Wish I could recall exactly what it  was. 

4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't know about that. I admit  Grizzard  was funny, but he was  a little too conservative for my tastes, like an old timer  who couldn't

handle how things were changing in the culture. Kim Basinger  is  a UGA alumnus and various members of the B-52s and R.E.M. went

there, though I don't know how many graduated from UGA. Chip Caray  is an alum. His dad Skip was funny. I remember he once made

a comment about his  own college career that was  hilarious. Wish I could recall exactly what it  was. 

Grizzard was conservative, but very little of that actually showed up in his books or performances.  Fortunately he did not have to experience what has happened to America as he died in 1994.

4 hours ago, ElCid said:

Grizzard was conservative, but very little of that actually showed up in his books or performances.  Fortunately he did not have to experience what has happened to America as he died in 1994.

I just  know Grizzard from some of his newspaper columns which I read on occasion. Grizzard died before gay bashing became unpopular.

If  he saw the gay rights movement, #MeToo, and  other social liberation movements, he'd likely blow a gasket.

12 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I just  know Grizzard from some of his newspaper columns which I read on occasion. Grizzard died before gay bashing became unpopular.

If  he saw the gay rights movement, #MeToo, and  other social liberation movements, he'd likely blow a gasket.

Most likely Grizzard would be like so many other phony conservatives;   he be blowing something other than a gasket.

5 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Most likely Grizzard would be like so many other phony conservatives;   he be blowing something other than a gasket.

I don't think so. He was married  four times and he died  in his mid 40s. Maybe his problem was on the receiving end and not

the giving one.