Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

April Schedule is Up

Has Anthony Perkins ever been SOTM?

No, not yet. I wouldn't be surprised if some future October, he does become Star of the Month. Then they can air PSYCHO on Halloween.

• Like 1

No, not yet. I wouldn't be surprised if some future October, he does become Star of the Month. Then they can air PSYCHO on Halloween.

That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!  Psycho is one of my favorite Anthony Perkins movies, (and the only one I own on DVD) and seeing it on Halloween would be a great treat. Just think: sitting in front of the TV and eating WAY too much Halloween candy while seeing the wrath of Norman Bates right before your eyes on the scariest night of the year.

• Like 2

A very diverse group of movies has been scheduled for April 2017.

I like!

There are a lot of great movies airing that I've seen before and can recommend, but I'm going to focus on the scheduled movies that I'm eager to see for the first time.

On the evening of April 3, TCM is airing an interview with one of my favorites, Faye Dunaway, that was recorded during one of the TCM Film Festivals (I think it was the one from 2016). I've seen all of her movies airing that evening with the exception of THE ARRANGEMENT from 1969. While I'm not a big Kirk Douglas fan, I'm interested in seeing this early film performance by Faye Dunaway. The movie also stars Deborah Kerr.  

QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE is scheduled on April 5 during a tribute to Zsa Zsa Gabor. I hoping this one is as campy as it sounds!

I've seen parts of LOVE LETTERS, which airs on April 7 during a Post-War Melodrama spotlight, but have never seen the entire movie.  It re-teams Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten, who starred in one of my favorite movies PORTRAIT OF JENNIE. The Maltin review dismisses LOVE LETTERS as an "artificial soaper" but I liked what I saw of this movie before. 

BLACK WIDOW, scheduled for April 8, is another movie with a negative Maltin review and also one that I caught a few scenes of during an earlier airing. It stars Gene Tierney as well as one of my favorites Ginger Rogers in a rare unsympathetic role as a "mean girl" Broadway star. I'm looking forward to seeing a different side of Miss Rogers.

TALES OF MANHATTAN, another movie with Ginger Rogers, is scheduled for April 10. It's made up of five episodes that are all connected by a tail coat that is passed from owner to owner. The movie also stars Charles Boyer, Henry Fonda, Ethel Waters, Charles Laughton and Edward G. Robinson.

NIGHT OF THE LEPUS, scheduled for April 15, is a horror movie from the early 1970s about man-eating rabbits. What more is there to say?

During the overnight hours of April 16, TCM is airing MEANTIME, a Mike Leigh film from the 1980s. I'm a huge fan of Mike Leigh fan and am looking forward to seeing this one for the first time.

MIDNIGHT MARY, a pre-code starring Loretta Young, is scheduled for April 27. I've been wanting to see this one for awhile. 

LADY SNOWBLOOD 2: LOVE SONG FOR VENGEANCE is scheduled to air during the overnight hours of April 29. In this sequel to Toshiya Fujita's LADY SNOWBLOOD, Meiko Kaji reprises the title role. The sequel is airing immediately after LADY SNOWBLOOD. These movies, which are  based on a Japanese comics (manga) series, were a major inspiration for Quentin Tarantino's KILL BILL movies. 

SPARROWS, a silent movie starring Mary Pickford, is scheduled to air on April 30. I became a Mary Pickford fan after seeing THE POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL on TCM a couple of years ago. SPARROWS is Pickford's penultimate silent movie. I've been wanting to see it for awhile now. Thanks, TCM, for scheduling it! 

• Like 2

Queen of Outer Space is as campy as it sounds, and a lot of fun for it.

Tales of Manhattan has seven (I think) stories, if they're running the ~125 minute version with the restored W.C. Fields segment. There's one with Charles Boyer/Rita Hayworth; one with Fonda and Ginger Rogers; one with Charles Laughton; the Fields segment; the Edward G. Robinson segment; a brief segment about bank robbers (I want to say it has J. Carroll Naish in it, but I haven't seen the movie in years and didn't look it up for this post), and the final segment with Ethel Waters and Paul Robeson.

Sparrows is also quite good, with a harrowing climax and a very well done death scene.

• Like 2

"Love Letters" is wonderful and a must for any Jennifer Jones fan. Maltin reveals what an uninformed moron he aspires to be.

• Like 1

Thanks for that bit of Melvyn Douglas info. I did not know the April 5th contest even occurred.

There's  2 Melvyn Douglas -Columbia films that i would love to see that continues to elude TCM. THE LONE WOLF  [1935] and THIS THING CALLED LOVE with Rosalind Russell from 1941.   THIS THING CALLED LOVE was scheduled once about 8 years ago and then pulled from the schedule as the appropriate month was about to  appear on cable.

I have to admit I didn't particularly care for Love Letters. Of course, I think of it as a chick flick, which would probably explain why.

Films that haven't been mentioned yet:

April 6th--A day of Walter Huston films.

April 14th--"Harriet Craig" (1950)--Crawford is terrifying in this remake of "Craig's Wife"--Her hairstyle is one of the most severe I've ever seen.  Calling it unflattering is an understatement.

April 15th--"The Night of the Lepus" (1972)--A "So bad, it's good" horror film, with notably bad special effects and dreadful dialogue.

April 20th--"Blondie of the Follies" (1932)--Marion Davies and Jimmy Durante parody "Grand Hotel" in this one.

April 21st--"Queen Bee" (1955)-- A Crawford favorite buried in the early morning hours.

April 27th--"The Torrent" (1926), Garbo's 1st American film, and "Midnight Mary" (1933) are scheduled.

Very nice.  I wonder if Blondie Of The Follies switches between a number of different stories too.  That is what I like about Grand Hotel and all the other movies that were inspired by it.

Queen of Outer Space is as campy as it sounds, and a lot of fun for it.

Tales of Manhattan has seven (I think) stories, if they're running the ~125 minute version with the restored W.C. Fields segment. There's one with Charles Boyer/Rita Hayworth; one with Fonda and Ginger Rogers; one with Charles Laughton; the Fields segment; the Edward G. Robinson segment; a brief segment about bank robbers (I want to say it has J. Carroll Naish in it, but I haven't seen the movie in years and didn't look it up for this post), and the final segment with Ethel Waters and Paul Robeson.

Sparrows is also quite good, with a harrowing climax and a very well done death scene.

Tales From Manhattan sounds interesting too.  It sounds like it might be a bit like The Yellow Rolls-Royce (1964), or better yet, One Crowded Night (1940).  All entries in my Grand Hotel category, which feature multiple simultaneous stories within close quarters or some connection to each other.

• Like 1

Grand Hotel is different from Tales of Manhattan (and if memory serves The Yellow Rolls-Royce) in that the stories in Grand Hotel are intertwined and the movie hops back and forth among them, while those in Tales of Manhattan are discrete and self-contained.

We had a thread some time back about the difference between an ensemble movie (Grand Hotel, Dinner at Eight, or The VIPs) and anthology movies (Tales of Manhattan, If I Had a Million, O. Henry's Full House and the like).

• Like 1

I saw The Yellow Rolls Royce when George C. Scott had an SUTS day, I think two years ago, and I can confirm it belongs in the Tales of Manhattan camp. Other than the titular car appearing in each segment, the stories are completely separate.

My personal groups tend to cross different boundaries and break conventional rules, just because.  I guess I could probably split my personal Grand Hotel category into two different groups.  In the past I just didn't have a large enough amount of movies to substantiate it.  Now I might.

I can't bring up the April schedule past the first seven days but one movie caught my eye.

On 4/3 TCM  is showing "An American Tragedy"  a Paramount film with Phillips Holmes. This film was the forerunner of "A Place In The Sun" which TCM shows every now and then.

Announcement:

The Frances Dee films including AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY have been pulled. Instead, TCM will be featuring an evening of Faye Dunaway live at the TCM film festival on April 3.

• Like 1

"The Arrangement" (1969) is now scheduled for April 3rd--it got horrid reviews, especially one from Pauline Kael that ripped the film apart--I'll have to be sure to watch it and see for myself how bad it is/isn't.  "The Champ" (1979) is a tearjerker with a good score and a good performance by Rick Schroeder.

"The Arrangement" (1969) is now scheduled for April 3rd--it got horrid reviews, especially one from Pauline Kael that ripped the film apart--I'll have to be sure to watch it and see for myself how bad it is/isn't.  "The Champ" (1979) is a tearjerker with a good score and a good performance by Rick Schroeder.

I'm a big fan of Faye Dunaway.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've never seen THE ARRANGEMENT. I'm interested in seeing it for Faye Dunaway even though I'm not much of a Kirk Douglas fan.

I love THE CHAMP from 1979 even though many people say it blatantly manipulates the viewer's emotions.

A few years ago I saw the John Cassavetes movie GLORIA with Gena Rowlands when it aired on TCM. When I watched I thought that the role of the boy would have been a good one for Ricky Schroder (a la THE CHAMP). I later read that the part in GLORIA was originally intended for Ricky Schroder.

The boy who  actually played the role in GLORIA was very good. I think it was his only movie role.

• Like 1

I haven't seen Gloria in years, but wasn't the kid supposed to be Puerto Rican? I couldn't see Ricky playing that, good as an actor he is.

"Love Letters" is wonderful and a must for any Jennifer Jones fan. Maltin reveals what an uninformed moron he aspires to be.

i love Jennifer Jones, but I have to admit- I tried watching LOVE LETTERS and couldn't get into it- I recall the first 20 minutes are WEIRD.

PS- You know Ayn Rand wrote the screenplay, yeah?

Announcement:

The Frances Dee films including AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY have been pulled. Instead, TCM will be featuring an evening of Faye Dunaway live at the TCM film festival on April 3.

Oh Great! Here we go again. Another movie I was looking forward to seeing is now pulled from the schedule.  This film was the highlight for me on TCM's April schedule.   Well at least thanks go to "Topbilled" for forewarning me.

• Like 1

Oh Great! Here we go again. Another movie I was looking forward to seeing is now pulled from the schedule.  This film was the highlight for me on TCM's April schedule.   Well at least thanks go to "Topbilled" for forewarning me.

I am 99% certain they will reschedule the Frances Dee evening of films. We will probably see it back on the grid in May or June. But of course, the titles could change. I just hope that when they reschedule it, AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY is still offered.

I am 99% certain they will reschedule the Frances Dee evening of films. We will probably see it back on the grid in May or June. But of course, the titles could change. I just hope that when they reschedule it, AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY is still offered.

Of course, they would dump the Frances Dee films which I was was really, really looking forward to!  Expletive deleted!!

• Like 1

QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE is scheduled on April 5 during a tribute to Zsa Zsa Gabor. I hoping this one is as campy as it sounds!

Zsa Zsa Gabor as the leading scientist of her planet??  How could it get any better?  Also, it is never explained why Zsa Zsa has this weird accent while no one else on the planet does.  But, that just adds to the fun!

• Like 1

Of course, they would dump the Frances Dee films which I was was really, really looking forward to!  

Yes, I thought it was the best night on the entire April schedule. Hopefully they'll bring her tribute back in May or June. Unless they've decided to wait and make her a SUTS honoree in August. That would be good.

• Like 2

I haven't seen Gloria in years, but wasn't the kid supposed to be Puerto Rican? I couldn't see Ricky playing that, good as an actor he is.

When John Cassavetes was working as a writer for hire, MGM asked him to write a script for Ricky Schroder to appear in.

But when Ricky Schroder left MGM, Cassavetes offered the script to Columbia and suggested that his wife Gena Rowlands play the main role. The film was ultimately titled GLORIA.

Juan Adames (credited as John Adames) played the role that was originally intended for Ricky Schroder. He was chosen from a group casting call in New York City and had no prior training or experience as an actor.

The boy was not identified as Latino in Cassavetes's script that he wrote for MGM.

He was just supposed to be a New York City kid.

The boy's father was played by Buck Henry.

I got the chance to see AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY (1931) online a few months back and it was flawed, but fascinating. I'm very sorry it got pulled from the schedule, because it's also been pulled from online.

Hopefully they'll reschedule it.

This is at least the 2nd time it's been pulled from the schedule. VERY disappointing (as I've never seen it) :(

• Like 1