Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SinatraFan86

Favorite film representing [i]your[/i] profession?

In the "Portrait of Jennie" thread, Kimpunkrock raised a very interesting point that I'm not sure has been discussed here before (at least not that I know of)-- what is your favorite film that represents your own profession? In the "Portrait" thread Kimpunkrock noted that as an artist she really enjoyed "Portrait of Jennie". I am also an artist, and I personally like "How to Steal a Million" as my favorite film about art.

So here's the question: What is your favorite film that represents your own profession?

As far as movies about Painters, I also really like Lust for Life with Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn playing Van Gogh and Gougan (I am sure I spelled that wrong). There was also a film made in the nineties called Vincent and Theo with Tim Roth playing Van Gogh, that is really good. I thought that Tim Roth did a very good job playing Van Gogh. Other great painter movies I like are ****, Basquit and Scarlett Street. But I definitely am now adding Portrait of Jennie to the list. Lust for Life is probably my favorite mostly because of Kirk Douglas. Most of these movies are pretty depressing actually. All the painters had a pretty bad end. There is a lesson in that for me somewhere.

Thanks for posting this thread .

Fun thread.

I'm in auto insurance. I used to handle serious injury claims and suits, now I'm a superviser in the call center. As a claims examiner, I related a lot to E.G. Robinson as Keyes in Double Indemnity. And the old timers tell me the opening scene of The Apartment looks a lot like home office back in the days before cubicles.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also really like the movie Frida that came out in 2002 about Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, another depressing story about painters.....

The film that comes to mind for me is a little more modern, 1987's "Wall Street" with Michael Douglas & Charlie Sheen. When Douglas as Gordon Gekko declares "Greed is Good", he hit the nail on the head for the attitude of "The Street". Dealing with Tender Offers at the time when this movie came out in the Reorganization Department for a major Bank in New York, I could relate to a "Takeover" of a smaller company by a larger firm. (Big Fish eating the Little Fish). I saw first hand the back-stabbing and often cruel treatment used by people, to either make money or get promotions. Thank God those days are over for me, but if I want to remember the atmosphere of the jungle, I throw in my copy of "Wall Street".

Kudos to SinatraFan; great thread idea!

For me, it would have to be "Iron Will"; to date, the most accurate, best detailed movie depiction of "traditional" mushing.

Mind you, "Eight Below", was fairly correct, too, but didn't devote a lot of time to the dogs in harness, though it was an immense relief to hear Mals actually referred to as "Malamutes", and not "wolf dogs" or "the big huskies"!

LuckyDan:

I'm in the insurance business too and Edward G. Robinson may be the only popular positive insurance portrayal around (or I can think of.) Most of the insurance people are posed as complete idiots or worse.

Chris

I'm a legal secretary, a/k/a executive assisant.

I love seeing Eve Arden playing the assistant to all sorts of professional people. She's always the most professional of all - in control, good humored, and always has a pithy comment to remind us all of the reality of the situation.

On another note, I'm fascinated by George Macready's take on the slavishly loyal assistant to Charles Laughton in "The Big Clock." There are such people in the world, as witnessed by the host of executives in the news these days taking the fall for their superiors.

Then there's the always interesting relationship between The Simpsons' Mr. Burns and Smithers.

I'm an Engineering Manager (in a great metropolitan Hospital) and the closest film that covers my job. Would be " Man of Iron" (1935) with Barton MacLane or Managing the Maintenance Guy in (TV's) Scrubs.....

vallo

Wow , what a great thread idea. *bravo*

It made me wonder is there a film that represents the nursing profession as it is now? I can't think of any... All the films I have seen remind me of what nursing may have been 40 years ago but certainly not now.

I love Patricia Neal as John Wayne's nurse or when Maureen O'Hara played a nurse but these two are unfortunately not what it is today :(

Although my husband says I should start wearing all white and that cute little hat...at work that is...lol

Classicfan :)

What a cool thread.

I can't even figure out what I do now, but my most favorite career path from a thousand years ago was print buyer, and Penny Serenade made me feel the best about the small printer. I know there are quite a few films that featured the web presses such as those used by newspapers, but I can't think of them right now.

Stoneyburke;

How about "The Fountainhead"?

I know, it's usually considered to be the ultimate paean to Architecture, but I feel it's just as powerful & gripping a statement about the power & passion & dynamism of metroploitan newspaper journalism; as empire-building publisher Gale Wynant, Raymond Massey had, I think, his most memorable role.

It's also my all-time favorite movie.

P.S: I'm such a fan of yours here on the Boards, I even forgave you for calling me a Flatlander.

(In Vermont & NH, Flatlanders are loud & annoying tourists from Massachusetts and points south.)

We have pet-names for N.Y. Staters, too, but you don't need to hear any of those.

Yet.

(Ha ha.)

Luv that Heluva Good cheese!

One of the best movies in its portrayal of the media, people who work in the media, and those who wish to get something out of media people, was Fritz Lang's When the City Sleeps (1956). Not on video atm but shows every now and then on TCM.

Lang was probably ahead of his time in coming up with a fictional media conglomerate that incorporates newspapers, TV, and wire services for news outlets throughout the U.S. It also has a great cast that includes Dana Andrews, George Sanders, Rhonda Fleming, Vincent Price, Thomas Mitchell and Ida Lupino.

Probably nobody who's always been outside of big media can truly appreciate this one! :)

Sad to say it's been so long since I've seen The Fountainhead, I've forgotten anything about Massey's part.

Thank you, how sweet of you to say that. :) Sorry again, I thought all those who were not native to Vermont were flatlanders. I know, I've been there in leaf-peeping season (ack, the buses!!) with our car club, and the people can be ob-noxious.

Hah. I'd love to hear them.

I manage a flower shop in a part of town that (to put it mildly) is not what it used to be...so the obvious choice would be "The Little Shop Of Horrors." (The original Roger Corman movie.) Now, if I only had an Audrey Junior...:)

> LuckyDan:

>

> I'm in the insurance business too and Edward G.

> Robinson may be the only popular positive insurance

> portrayal around (or I can think of.) Most of the

> insurance people are posed as complete idiots or

> worse.

>

> Chris

Believe me, I thought long and hard before posting.

Wasn't Edmund O'Brien an insurance subrogator in some movie? DOA?

> Wasn't Edmund O'Brien an insurance subrogator in some

> movie? DOA?

In D.O.A. (1950) he played an accountant, I believe. The whole plot revolves around what he becomes involved in due to his notarizing a bill of sale, IIRC.

> As a state cubicle monkey, I guess I'd have to say

> "Nine to Five," LOL...

Awwwww do you do that kind of things to your boss, too? :P

Edmund O' Brien was an insurance investigator in Robert Siodmak's version of Hemingway's " The Killers " .

Message was edited by:

ken123

Thanks Ken and Cinemascope.

I'm remembering one scene in particular where O'Brien is talking to his boss, whose telling him not to worry over some money paid out on a fraudulent claim or something, and O'Brien, who feels very strongly about it says, "Don't you want to get it back?" Was that in The Killers? I read the short story a few years ago, but I can't even remember when I last saw the movie.

I had a similar conversation with a manager who told me, "We're not going to step over dollars to pick up dimes."