Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite film representing [i]your[/i] profession?

SinatraFan86

In Desk Set, Spencer Tracy comes to install a computer in the research department where Katharine Hepburn works. Kate and the other research gals worry that the machine will replace their jobs - though it ends up only being installed to assist them in their work - to look up information quickly to respond to inquiries.

I work in Search Engine Optimization which is a fancy way of saying - helping businesses (legitimately) be seen and ranked (well) for search engines such as Google, Yahoo, MSN, and well mainly Google.

Very interesting thread!

As a retired Executive Assistant, I have to say Nina Foch in Executive Suite, all the stuff she did was very real, telling others how to do things, making phone calls, setting up meetings, etc. Also later as a store manager, I guess I would say 'Mildred Pierce', it's a different line from jewelry, but you still have the ordering, making things look nice etc.

Kimpunkrock: Did you see **** with Ed Harris, and Marcia Gay Harden, in fact Harden won an Oscar for supporting actress, and I don't think too many people knew who she was, she's mainly in TV movies?

Klondike: In 1996 Kate Jackson made a TV movie called "Murder on the Iditarod Trail" about a racer trying to stay one jump ahead of a murderer. The movie wasn't that good, but oddly I learned a lot about how the race is run, and how they have certain stop points, as well as how they eat, keep warm, etc.

Anne

> I saw parts of "The Loved One" 20 years ago when I

> was 18 years old in Mortuary College.

> I will have to re-watch it. I believe it is quite

> humorous?

It's not for every taste, but worth knowing. For me the humor doesn't always succeed, but its such a different movie, it holds my interest.

> "In 1996 Kate Jackson made a TV movie called "Murder on the Iditarod Trail" "

Anne!

Thank you so much for that gem!

I thought I'd seen every mushing film out there, but I missed this one, which is doubly strange, as I read a paperback mystery by that title 5 years ago, written by Alaskan author Sue Henry.

Curiouser & curiouser!

Well, I'm hot on its trail, starting tomorrow!

> There are no movies about film editors,

Why don?t you contact John Grisham and tell him he should write a novel about a female film editor who is working on a documentary about the JFK assassination, and she discovers some never-before-seen amateur movie of the motorcade, and while she?s editing the various films of the motorcade she begins to see a blurry image of a man dressed in a policeman?s uniform aiming a gun and firing a shot from the grassy knoll. He is more clearly seen in the newly discovered 8mm film that you are working on.

Then word gets out, and the conspirators began to chase you. First, all over Hollywood, then they blow up your car out in the San Fernando Valley. Then you flee to New York were they chase you all over Brooklyn and Manhattan, blowing up your hotel room. Then you don a disguise and flee down to Washington, where you meet secretly with a handsome Washington Post reporter. Then the conspirators chase both of you all over Washington. Etc, etc.

Lol, I can just see Julia Roberts going to work in Hollywood for another boring day of editing film. We see her looking over the Zapruder film on a flatbed and we learn that she is working on a JFK documentary, then she unwraps a small box that has a postmark of Dallas but no return address. Inside she finds an old roll of 8mm film. She has to go dig out an old 8mm movie projector out of a closet in the office where she works, and as she rolls the film, we see various intense expressions on her face, then we cut to the 8mm film, then go in for a closer look, then a closer look (like in the film ?Blow-up?). No dialogue is needed here, since we can see the man with the rifle hiding behind the curved wall up on the knoll. She sends the film to a lab to have it enlarged and she makes a few phone calls about it, and that?s how the word begins to leak out to the various conspirators. We see scenes of her various cell phone calls being traced and routed through a mysterious office in Washington DC. All of the conspirators are old by now, but they are still mean and they start going after her, trying to get their hands on that 8mm film.

Fred,

Can we have Julia running up some hill around Los Angeles (daily exercise) and it's soon after one of those mudslides and Julia notices a bony hand (of course, bones still articulated) sticking out of the side of a hill and the skeleton hand is holding a rusted film can?

Poindexter

Correction: age is no barrier to any MALE star...

Or any male star who wants a baby (whether actual or figurative, as in "oh, baby")...

Despite Hollywood's paying lip service to the "silver foxes" (aged actresses) this year, women over 40 are discriminated against in virtually every area of life -- esp. in the romance department...

otter, not bitter over not getting a dozen rozes for VD this year

Well, since I have two professions (I teach a university film studies course and I deal in rare books) I have two films to mention: Fritz Lang's THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW from 1944. Poor Edward G. Robinson, a college professor, becomes embroiled in a bizarre mystery of chance. Or does he? It's my favorite film about a college professor! For the other, I've chosen FAST COMPANY, the 1938 comedy-mystery about a pair of married rare book dealers. Florence Rice and Melvyn Douglas star; it's pretty funny, funnier in fact than the two subsequent films in the series.

"otter, not bitter over not getting a dozen rozes for VD this year "

Otterhere, my dear, you really should have used a different abbreviation for Valentines day, I had to think a minute before realizing what you meant!!!

She wants roses for THAT??!!!! :0

Anne