Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite film representing [i]your[/i] profession?

Ladies & Gentlemen of the jury,

Would anyone know if the collection business (bill collection/recovery) has ever been portrayed on film? I know about "Repo Man" but that's really an entirely different entity. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I spent about a dozen or so years in the business and ultimately worked my way up to a managerial position. And no, I wasn't an S.O.B. and never generated any complaints from the people I contacted myself or came in touch with via my collectors. I'll readily admit that there are for more negatives than positives in the industry but there were those of us that strove to conduct ourselves as professionals and play by the rules (which happen to be both state and federally mandated) rather than put ourselves and our employers at risk. Thanks in advance,

Hollis

> "Mine is: "Colossus: The Forbin Project" i am a computer software developer and the Movie is about a computer scientist building a computer that becomes sentient and takes over the world. Excellent movie. "

I couldn't agree more, Mr. D; and more than a little chilling to boot!

I've always felt that despite its sci-fi thriller genre, it's just as effective as a sort of horror movie as well!

Absolutely agree when I first watched it left me feeling threatened that was when i was a teen -lol how ever still loved Computers, I just realized that they need to be treated with respect Just like the atom bomb.

What man still thinks is that when they finally build an Intelligent sentient computer that they will be creating a slave, however they are very mistaken, they would have basically made themselves redundant and marked the beginning of the end of mans dominance on the earth.

Lets hope that we learn how to code emotions like compassion pity and yes even Love

Same applys to Genetic engineering and Human cloning.

I work in book publishing so I always get a good chuckle from The Best of Everything. Talk about a "Bad Movie We Love". The husband-hunting secretaries in that film bear no resemblance to the talented women I work with today, yet they're a fascinating train-wreck to watch.

The Best of Everything does seem to embody every bad clich? about women in the marketplace of ideas--but Brian Aherne doesn't exactly escape the stereotype either, as a "Mr. Handy" with the gals in the steno pool. I'd file it under "Guilty Pleasure" anytime.

Some other, perhaps interesting films that profess to portray the business of publishing in a less than flattering light are: Wolf (1994), w/ Jack Nicholson & Christopher Plummer (so bad, he's good!...and almost makes this tepid Mike Nichols movie fun), and among the older films, the noir High Wall (1947) features a nice turn by the always suave Herbert Marshall, as an oh-so-respectable editor. Robert Taylor gives one of his first really good performances in this one, too.

Another one that I like is The Animal Kingdom (1932) with Leslie Howard as a publisher who's tempted, after marrying a socially shallow Myrna Loy, to put out trashy, though lucrative works--until his conscience returns in the person of Ann Harding. A fun antique from the pen of Phillip Barry.

Hey, I think I just saw you (CPA) on tape this weekend; catching up on "You Can't Take It With You"; Mr. Popper (correct?), who was rescued from a life of number-crunching at the bank and swept away to inventor's heaven in the cellar workshop!

...and if it is memorable it's because someone has cooked the books. Maybe they could build a tv series around you.

PKTREKGIRL - Super Accountant! (tah-dah!) Join us each week as our star surveys numbers and figures far and wide correcting decimals and calculations and protecting those less careful than herself from jail and the ever lingering IRS.

(said with affection.)

Interesting thread. I have two jobs, so the movie that would closely depict the first one is Blackboard Jungle. For the other job I'd go with either Artists and Models (the Martin & Lewis one, not the Jack Benny), or Piccadilly Jim.

> IRL I'm a CPA.

>

> I can't think of any films about accountants at the

> present time...although I'm just positive I've seen a

> couple.

>

> Must not have been too memorable. Can't IMAGINE why!

> *lol*

The Producers (1968)?

"PKTREKGIRL: ACCOUNTING POLICE!"

How about the Charles Martin Smith character in The Untouchables with Kevin Costner. Smith gave his all to the cause, and made ferreting out the numbers sort of exciting. In reality, that is what would convict Al Capone (ultimately undone by tax fraud).

I don't know if there is any movie that depicts my profession exactly. Working in a factory is not exactly considered glamorous. I suppose Gung Ho with Michael Keaton, Norma Rae with Sally Field or Swing Shift with Goldie Hawn might be as close a you could get. Assembly line production is SOOOOOOOOO sexy, don't you think? ;)

Of course, I've been there so long, I've got a cushy inspection job. Thirty-eight years come August, and I'm still only on the second rung of the corporate ladder (and ulcer-free, I might add.) :D

Charlie(tote that barge, lift that bale)T

Hey Charlie T --

There's a great 1978 movie called BLUE COLLAR with Harvey Keitel, Richard Pryor and Yaphet Kotto. They're three guys who work in a Detroit auto factory and try to beat the system by ripping off their local union. It was written and directed by Paul Schrader (who wrote TAXI DRIVER). There's even a character in BLUE COLLAR named Charlie T. (Hernandez). Check out the DVD if you get a chance!

I'll keep my eyes open for it. Although, watching for fun what one does day in and day out can sometimes be just a little depressing. At least I don't make cars. But I can guarantee your clothes will be nice and dry.

Charlie(pass the Downey)T