Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"A Face in the Crowd" Scheduled for Broadcast on Day the United States Might Have a New President

Mario500

I thought this was a very interesting choice for Turner Classic Movies' programming plan for next Friday (the twentieth day of this January) due to its main character being very similar to the person who might become president of the states that day (personally I hope not).

• Like 2

No.

Mario--

If I am not mistaken, the January 2017 schedule was available online in late October, before the election. Did TCM's programmers know what the outcome of the vote was going to be? Unless they had access to a super powerful crystal ball, I sincerely doubt it.

P.S. I just went back and found a post I made on the Jane Wyman Star of the Month thread, the day the January schedule information was revealed. You can see it was October 24th:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2017-01-13%2Bat%2B9.02.4

• Like 1

I thought this was a very interesting choice for Turner Classic Movies' programming plan for next Friday (the twentieth day of this January) due to its main character being very similar to the person who might become president of the states that day (personally I hope not).

Exactly what are you hoping for?

Exactly what are you hoping for?

I was hoping the person either forfeits the election or something prevents him from becoming president by then.

Mario--

If I am not mistaken, the January 2017 schedule was available online in late October, before the election. Did TCM's programmers know what the outcome of the vote was going to be? Unless they had access to a super powerful crystal ball, I sincerely doubt it.

Someone at Turner Classic Movies probably guessed the outcome of the election process. Even if someone else had won (personally I wanted the candidate named Gary Johnson to win), the movie probably would have remained part of their programming plan for next Friday.

(note: in case anyone years from now is reading this (or hearing this through a narration program) years from now is wondering about the name of the person I was typing about as the one who might become president of the United States as of this year, it was Donald Trump)

• Like 1

Actually Mario, I personally see there being quite a difference between the Andy Griffith character of Lonesome Rhodes in this movie and the man about to become No.45.

Ya see, the former had the public reputation of being a nice folksy and likable guy until he was unmasked as not being one by that open microphone, and whereas almost EVERYBODY knew that the LATTER was/is a big fat jerk from the GET-GO, but somehow this kind of thing didn't/doesn't seem to matter to that many people anymore.

(...and so perhaps this right HERE might be a case of how Kazan's movie could now be considered a bit "dated" now days, huh)

;)

• Like 3

Actually Mario, I personally see there being quite a difference between the Andy Griffith character of Lonesome Rhodes in this movie and the man about to become No.45.

Ya see, the former had the public reputation of being a nice folksy and likable guy until he was unmasked as not being one by that open microphone, and whereas almost EVERYBODY knew that the LATTER was/is a big fat jerk from the GET-GO, but somehow this kind of thing didn't/doesn't seem to matter to that many people 

I love how Lonesome Rhodes is appropriated by any side wishing to score points.

When you think about it, the closest we've had to a real life Lonesome Rhodes in the White House was... Bill Clinton. Based his public persona on a folksy good-ole-boy image. And from Arkansas too. A good ole Oxford Yale boy --  like they said about Wendell Willkie: "Just a simple, old-fashioned Wall Street lawyer."

• Like 2

I love how Lonesome Rhodes is appropriated by any side wishing to score points.

When you think about it, the closest we've had to a real life Lonesome Rhodes in the White House was... Bill Clinton. Based his public persona on a folksy good-ole-boy image. And from Arkansas too. A good ole Oxford Yale boy --  like they said about Wendell Willkie: "Just a simple, old-fashioned Wall Street lawyer."

Very good point, Doc!

I suppose AT LEAST with No.45 it's, as they say, "What ya see, is what ya get", huh. Although, what I'm seein' isn't all that impressive, unfortunately.

(...eeh, maybe I'm just too "old school" huh...I always thought Presidents were not only supposed to act PUBLICLY at least in an adult manner, but could formulate and articulate thoughts at at least a high school graduate level, too) 

• Like 1

Very good point, Doc!

I suppose AT LEAST with No.45 it's, as they say, "What ya see, is what ya get", huh. Although, what I'm seein' isn't all that impressive, unfortunately.

(...eeh, maybe I'm just too "old school" huh...I always thought Presidents were not only supposed to act PUBLICLY at least in an adult manner, but could formulate and articulate thoughts at at least a high school graduate level, too) 

I thought so too.  That's why I heaved a HUGE sigh of relief when the GW years finally came to an end.

Sepiatone

What similarities are there between Donald Trump and Lonesome Rhoades? If anything, one could argue the movie is more of an indictment of the Patricia Neal-types who did everything they could to get Hillary elected.

• Like 1

My Canadian friends refer to Justin Trudeau as PM Zoolander.

• Like 1

My Canadian friends refer to Justin Trudeau as PM Zoolander.

Yeah, or as I call him..."The Canadian S tud Muffin".

The last time I was up in BC visiting my "Ma", I saw him extemporaneously "articulating" on the CBC during a press conference, and I would've loved to have had a freakin' nickel for every time he uttered "ummmm" or "ahhh" between the time he was formulating his thoughts and when the words actually left his mouth. I would've had MORE than enough money to pay for half a dozen donuts AND a large cup of coffee at one of the local Kelowna Tim Hortons!!!

(...yep, I suppose that's ONE thing that can be said for No.45...at least the dude doesn't seem to do THAT, and just blurts out whatever fool thought that comes into his fool head, and withOUT uttering all those damn "ummmm"s and "ahhhh"s before, during and between 'em, huh!)

LOL

​Citizen Kane ​might have been appropriate...life of entitlement..."(people will think) what I tell them to think"..."You don't care about anything but you..you just want to persuade people that you love them so much that they ought to love you back".  Face in the Crowd's a good choice too.

• Like 1

Hmmmmm...well then, how about DUCK SOUP ?

I mean, Rufus T. Firefly doesn't seem to have an inkling on how to run a government EITHER, ya know!

And not only THAT, is prone to lash out at others when in true knee-jerk fashion he's felt he's been insulted like in this scene....

028-duck-soup-theredlist.jpg

...and just like a "certain someone else".

(...of course the DIFFERENCE being that Rufus uses a glove in retaliation, and whereas that "certain someone else" uses his freakin' Twitter account!!!)

LOL

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that Vladimir Putin worked for TCM.

LOL

Funny you mention Vlad here, Rich.

Ya see, the latest word from Russia is that the finishing touches to the final draft of his personal little vanity film project are being done as I type this.

However, the screenwriter Vlad picked for SHIRTLESS IN SEVASTOPOL still can't seem to decide if Donnie and Vlad should meet and embrace at the stroke of New Years atop the Empire State Building or atop the Trump Tower.

(...I'll let ya know what is decided as soon as I hear anything)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings