Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Northwest Passage" was just reaired &...

spence

TCM just re-aired the great 1940 epic Adventure "Northwest Passage-Book 1: Rodgers Rangers" (M-G-M) (4 stars!)

But many may not be aware, a sequel was planned, rare for those days. However it was a $financial$ failure, which depressed *"The Great: Spencer Tracy"-(l900-l967) because he really put his all into the film & it was his debut in color as well. on the upside 1940 turned out to be his closest year at being #1 annual $Box-0ffice$ leader, 2nd only to Mickey Rooney.

He also had "Boom Town" "Edison, the Man" & "I Take This Woman"-(the latter became a running joke in the industry due to taking so long to complete & hit the deck upon initial release)

Matter of fact, *"The King: Gable" & *Tracy would tease each other about that film & *Clark's bad (*1/2) notorious flop from '37 "Parnell"

Strangely the sole shot at an *Oscar "NP" earned was for it's color-cinematography though?

THANK YOU

This production has one of the most amusing anachronisms I have ever reported to IMDb.com's GOOFS squad. Robert Young is an artist who goes with Tracy to draw maps and eyewitness accounts of the expedition. Just before the climactic sequence, RY shows his drawings to ST. THEY ARE NOT IN THE CORRECT STYLE OF THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY; instead, they resemble the work of such magazine illustrators of 1940 as James Montgomery Flagg.

This production has one of the most amusing anachronisms I have ever reported to IMDb.com's GOOFS squad. Robert Young is an artist who goes with Tracy to draw maps and eyewitness accounts of the expedition. Just before the climactic sequence, RY shows his drawings to ST. THEY ARE NOT IN THE CORRECT STYLE OF THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY; instead, they resemble the work of such magazine illustrators of 1940 as James Montgomery Flagg.

Robert Young was Norman Rockwell's mentor.  

I know I've said it before and you just don't care, but you make your posts virtually unreadable through nonsense use of punctuation marks and your idiotic use of a captial I when modern-day keyboards have a perfectly serviceable 1 key.

Why should anybody bother to read your posts if you can't be bothered to make them readable for us?

I know I've said it before and you just don't care, but you make your posts virtually unreadable through nonsense use of punctuation marks and your idiotic use of a captial I when modern-day keyboards have a perfectly serviceable 1 key.

Why should anybody bother to read your posts if you can't be bothered to make them readable for us?

I happen to like spence's posts. They're stylized, and more importantly, they demonstrate his love of classic film. Carry on! :)

I happen to like spence's posts. They're stylized, and more importantly, they demonstrate his love of classic film. Carry on! :)

Yes,  clearly spence is a lover of classic \ studio-era films but his post are difficult to read and most of the time I give up after reading a sentence or two.

A good detail. & I never noticed it before

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

You're welcome. 

(TRIVIA: I know you fans will get this trivia question, but what the heck. How many & what are the films *Tracy & *Walter Brennan made together?)

According to the IMDb, there were five collaborations: FURY; STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE; NORTHWEST PASSAGE; BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK; and HOW THE WEST WAS WON.

You're welcome. 

According to the IMDb, there were five collaborations: FURY; STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE; NORTHWEST PASSAGE; BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK; and HOW THE WEST WAS WON.

Ah! but you had to go and look the answer up, while I was still scratching my head! ;)

Okay, spence, what was the "trick" part of the question?

• Like 1

Anyone remember the line "Rancid Bear Grease?"

I personally rank (imdb.com) among the top (3) overall finest.

Hunk, "The mosquitoes hate it worse than me."

Langden, "No thanks, I'll stick with the mosquitoes."

BTW, I did that one off the top of my head!

I've loved N/WP since I was a kid, and it's one of a handful of movies that I'll stop to watch again, whenever it's on.

Thanks to TCM that's at least once or twice every couple of years. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings