Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Fonda & *Redford reteam for a 3rd time in...

spence

saw this in the last EW magazine & just wanted to let others that may

be interested about it as well.

*Oscar winners *Jane Fonda-(l937-) & *Robert Redford-(l937-)-(some sources list him as being born in '36?)

Reteamed for the third time in the upcoming release "0ur Souls at Night"

A possible summer 2017 release

THANX

• Like 2

Per IMDb:

Fonda and Redford will star as Addie Moore and Louis Waters, a widow and widower who've lived next to each other for years. The pair have almost no relationship, but that all changes when Addie tries to make a connection with her neighbor.

NE4OpE1aTQlt7b_1_b.jpg

• Like 1

Per IMDb:

Fonda and Redford will star as Addie Moore and Louis Waters, a widow and widower who've lived next to each other for years. The pair have almost no relationship, but that all changes when Addie tries to make a connection with her neighbor.

NE4OpE1aTQlt7b_1_b.jpg

It looks cute. Hope it does well. At least it will give moviegoers something different than what is typically offered in the summertime.

I was about to chastise you for mocking the looks of the elderly, but then it occurred to me you didn't actually say anything about their looks. Maybe I was adding my own interpretation of the appearance of the stars of Whales! Redford and Fonda certainly look better at their age than anyone in Whales did.

Entertainment Weekly says it's about two people who decide to literally sleep together in their old age, i.e., just sleep, because they're lonely, and each gets a better night's sleep when sharing their bed, but this arrangement starts tongues wagging among the local gossips. I'm rooting for it because of the magnitude of the stars and because if it's any kind of success it might promote some more movies like it. We need as many non-superhero, non-jump scare, non-animated childrens' movies as we can get!

Apparently, Redford, who just turned 80, announced he was going to retire as an actor (like Clint Eastwood, he apparently might still consider directing) after making only two more movies. He currently has three movies  all due out this year, this one, The Old Man and the Gun and The Discovery. So, I'm a little uncertain if they count, or if he meant two more in addition to these three. 

But that's not a good time of the year to release such a picture of course. *Clint to date has

kept his word on 2 things, he said he'd never do another Western after *"Unforgiven" & not appear in another release of his that he helmed, after his biggest moneyspinner ever from 08 "Gran Torino" ($153m.)

I really like 1967's "Barefoot in the Park"

& thought '79's "Electric Horseman' was worth seeing (**1/2)

(P.S. Has anyone else ever seen *Redford strong 2013 "All is lost?" (***1/2-out of four) it only made $7m & he virtually has no dialogue)

& more fun-facts & trivia for you fans, what are the (8) he directed to date? & no looking it up now

• Like 1

Well, without looking, there was Ordinary PeopleThe Milagro Beanfield WarQuiz ShowA River Runs through ItThe Horse Whisperer, some Civil War courtroom drama with Joan Allen and another movie about horses with Matt Damon and Penelope Cruz. That's seven of them, only five of which I could think of the title. Not placing the last one.

Well, without looking, there was Ordinary PeopleThe Milagro Beanfield WarQuiz ShowA River Runs through ItThe Horse Whisperer, some Civil War courtroom drama with Joan Allen and another movie about horses with Matt Damon and Penelope Cruz. That's seven of them, only five of which I could think of the title. Not placing the last one.

I think there was also THE LEGEND OF BAGGER VANCE.

screen4.jpg

Yes! And I actually saw that in the theater but couldn't summon it out of my memory banks. Okay, well continuing the trivia questions, what legendary actor made his final big-screen appearance in that film?

Not sure. And Spence won't let us look things up anymore. LOL 

Yes! And I actually saw that in the theater but couldn't summon it out of my memory banks. Okay, well continuing the trivia questions, what legendary actor made his final big-screen appearance in that film?

Jack Lemmon. I just watched that movie about a month ago

close enough folks   The courtroom drama only made a paltry $6m. & was pretty strong "Conspirator" (**1/2) with Robin Wright Penn. he wasn't in this one though.  She excelled again in it.

To me his weakest yet was "Lions for Lambs" ($20m.) (**) he starred, along w/Cruise & *Streep.

Anybody see that one man show he did-(but did not helm) "All Is Lost?"  Think he won NBR's Best Actor Award for it

That kind of movie always reminds me of "The 0ld Man and the Sea" "Spirit of St. Louis" "The straight-Story" where 1 individual has to carry the entire show.

*Hopkins also made 1 somewhat like that "World's Fastest Indian"

All is Lost played at the theater I go to most often for a couple of weeks, and I contemplated seeing it, but it was gone before I committed. I was a bit hesitant, because I'm not usually much for near-zero-dialogue movies (if I'm in the right mood, I can enjoy a Terrence Malick film, but only once in a while), and given the title and a brief plot description I read, it sounded pretty depressing.

There was some buzz for Redford getting a Best Actor Oscar nomination, and I'm sure he got some votes but not enough to be one of the nominees. Had he been nominated, it would have been a whopping 42 years between his two nominations (to date, his only nomination was for The Sting in 1973), which would have beaten by one year the only two nominations Henry Fonda got in his career, Fonda having to wait 41 years after The Grapes of Wrath to be nominated again for On Golden Pond. Surely that would have been a record. He could still do it if he gets nominated for one of these last handful of films before he retires.

JACK LEMMON from what I remember reading in the movie's review. 

That "sleeping together" but only sleeping reminded me of the only scene, apart from ANGELA BASSETT setting her wayward husband's car on fire with all his clothes piled in it,  in WAITING TO EXHALE that I liked.

Bassett meets WESLEY SNIPES in a hotel bar and after some conversation, decide to check into a room.  Once there, the scene fades out as he says to her, "Make tonight a beautiful thing."

When the film returns to them, it shows them both in bed together, fully clothed and spooning, each deep asleep.  Their earlier conversation would help make more sense of it, but I thought it the most touching scene in what for me was a mostly forgettable movie.

Sepiatone

All is Lost played at the theater I go to most often for a couple of weeks, and I contemplated seeing it, but it was gone before I committed. I was a bit hesitant, because I'm not usually much for near-zero-dialogue movies (if I'm in the right mood, I can enjoy a Terrence Malick film, but only once in a while), and given the title and a brief plot description I read, it sounded pretty depressing.

There was some buzz for Redford getting a Best Actor Oscar nomination, and I'm sure he got some votes but not enough to be one of the nominees. Had he been nominated, it would have been a whopping 42 years between his two nominations (to date, his only nomination was for The Sting in 1973), which would have beaten by one year the only two nominations Henry Fonda got in his career, Fonda having to wait 41 years after The Grapes of Wrath to be nominated again for On Golden Pond. Surely that would have been a record. He could still do it if he gets nominated for one of these last handful of films before he retires.

Redford won the N.Y. Critics Award for Best Actor, which normally is a shoo in for a Best Actor nomination......

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings