Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1/21 DON'T MISS: Boomerang!, Fallen Angel and two by Fritzie this Saturday!

LornaHansonForbes

A really great Dana Andrews quadruple feature is coming up...actually I say that without having seen two of the movies and am lukewarm on the other two, but as a study in noir, it's a great line-up and Andrews is underrepresented somewhat on TCM.

- I have missed BOOMERANG! and BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT the last couple of times they have aired- but really want to see both.

-I am lukewarm on FALLEN ANGEL (a premiere?) but it is a fascinating and highly watchable failure even if it's a somewhat shameless re-staging of LAURA...Darnell is gorgeous and Andrews excels as a real s***heel.

-WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS has some issues, but it's not bad...still would've loved DAISY KENYON in its stead.

• Like 3

A really great Dana Andrews quadruple feature is coming up...actually I say that without having seen two of the movies and am lukewarm on the other two, but as a study in noir, it's a great line-up and Andrews is underrepresented somewhat on TCM.

- I have missed BOOMERANG! and BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT the last couple of times they have aired- but really want to see both.

-I am lukewarm on FALLEN ANGEL (a premiere?) but it is a fascinating and highly watchable failure even if it's a somewhat shameless re-staging of LAURA...Darnell is gorgeous and Andrews excels as a real s***heel.

-WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS has some issues, but it's not bad...still would've loved DAISY KENYON in its stead.

Great to see TCM feature these Fox films with Andrews.     I have seen them a lot since MOVIES-TV came on the scene.  

I'm a big fan of Fallen Angel and I don't see any "re-staging" or connection to Laura as it relates to the plot.   Yea, the film follows in the footsteps of many of the 40s noirs that were made before,  but one could say that about most noirs made.    Having the same director and leading man is not a 're-staging' to me.     Anyhow the film is clearly my favorite of the 4 noirs\crime films listed (I don't view Boomerang as a noir but as a crime\court room\political drama due to its non-noir visuals and lack of plot darkness). 

Either way all 4 films are worth seeing.     Hopefully TCM will get a hold of more Fox noirs.

• Like 1

Great to see TCM feature these Fox films with Andrews.     I have seen them a lot since MOVIES-TV came on the scene.  

I'm a big fan of Fallen Angel and I don't see any "re-staging" or connection to Laura as it relates to the plot.   Yea, the film follows in the footsteps of many of the 40s noirs that were made before,  but one could say that about most noirs made.    Having the same director and leading man is not a 're-staging' to me.    

SPOILER SPOILERS SPOILERS below!!!! IN RE: FALLEN ANGEL (1945)

ANGEL and LAURA are similar in that both films revolve around gorgeous female murder victims who have dangerously devoted admirers, both before and after their deaths- their allure is their destruction.

to be fair, ANGEL is not a paint by numbers retread, but when I saw it some time ago, I was struck by how very similar it was in many ways to LAURA- down to even having Linda Darnell resemble Gene Tierney. In fact, while I don't recall a lot about it other than Dana Andrews plays a definite baddie, I recall getting the impression that FALLEN ANGEL is almost gimmicky in that the makers of LAURA crafted FALLEN ANGEL in its immediate wake in such a way that you expect them to try to pull a LAURA halfway through and say "oops, nope. sorry, she's not dead" but the twist in the end of ANGEL is that she is dead....and since the film focuses so heavily on Darnell in the first half, it feels weird and unfulfilling.

i think the original film was very different from how it ended up, especially with how Alice Faye's character is shunted aside.

SPOILER SPOILERS SPOILERS below!!!! IN RE: FALLEN ANGEL (1945)

ANGEL and LAURA are similar in that both films revolve around gorgeous female murder victims who have dangerously devoted admirers, both before and after their deaths- their allure is their destruction.

to be fair, ANGEL is not a paint by numbers retread, but when I saw it some time ago, I was struck by how very similar it was in many ways to LAURA- down to even having Linda Darnell resemble Gene Tierney. In fact, while I don't recall a lot about it other than Dana Andrews plays a definite baddie, I recall getting the impression that FALLEN ANGEL is almost gimmicky in that the makers of LAURA crafted FALLEN ANGEL in its immediate wake in such a way that you expect them to try to pull a LAURA halfway through and say "oops, nope. sorry, she's not dead" but the twist in the end of ANGEL is that she is dead....and since the film focuses so heavily on Darnell in the first half, it feels weird and unfulfilling.

i think the original film was very different from how it ended up, especially with how Alice Faye's character is shunted aside.

Well thanks for explaining.   I guess we just view the film differently.    To me the characters of Laura and Stella are very different.   Laura is full of style and grace.   Laura is a champagne gal.  With Stella it is beer.    While Stella isn't as trashy as she comes off (but Eric wishes she was since he is very aggressive sexually) she still has a down to earth \ been there vibe that is much different than Laura.

Another major difference is the behavior of the lead investigator;   In Laura Andrews cop is clean,  honest, and doesn't use violence.   He only pretends to get tough with Laura.   The cop in FA is your fairly typical noir satirical cop that has no issue with use of violence (of course latter on we find his actual motives for beating Bruce Cabot,,, oh and it wasn't because Errol Flynn asked him to,  ha ha). 

I do see one major connection in that both films lack a true femme fatale;   i.e. neither Stella or Laura did anything dishonest or evil to cause the destruction of the killer in the film.   Instead both men became killers because of their own internal struggles.

• Like 2

I just saw a promo for Fallen Angel and jogged over to my laptop to inform everyone, only to see a thread has begun already. Not a TCM premiere, but its first airing on TCM in six years! I've never seen it or Boomerang, so watching these two Fox rarities (rarities on TCM anyway) is how I'm going to be spending my Saturday night (I live an exciting life, I know)!

• Like 2

Glad to see TCM will be showing these four films featuring Dana Andrews (incidently, only BOOMERANG and FALLEN ANGEL are Fox films, which may explain the relatively frequent showings on TCM of the other two movies).

As for FA being a retread of LAURA, I just don't see it. Yes, each has a beautiful woman desired by men that will do anything, even kill, n trying to attain them. But that's Noir 101. The settings and milieu are different; the upper crust New York of LAURA, as opposed to coastal small-town California in FA. The latter's setting is closely mirrored in two more or less contemporaneous films, MILDRED PIERCE and THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. And this last is the film FA most resembles, with a drifter stumbling into a town and staying due to spotting a woman he hopes to have. In each case, the guy hatches a plan to win her, which requires the fleecing of someone of means; each woman has no desire of running off with a bum. And in all three films, diners play an integral part of the plot machinations.

• Like 4

you remember how, about five or so years back (maybe more?) NETFLIX used to be strictly DVDs in the mail, but you got three at a time and IF IT WAS EVER RELEASED ON DVD, YOU COULD GET IT?

I had this for A YEAR and I LOVED IT.

I COULDN'T AFFORD to renew (do they even offer this anymore?) but it was AMAZING. I divided my time between scouring for all the classics TCM wasn't showing at the time and feeding the Psychotronic, Grindhouse, exploitation-movie LOVING worm thaT LIVES IN MY BRAIN. (finally got to see CALIGULA for the first time, so there's that.)

Anyhow, I watched FALLEN ANGEL for the one and only time that way, and as i recall it, the DVD had all kinds of extras and a featurette.and while it was a while ago, the very strong impression that i recall having of it was that there was a resemblance in many forms to LAURA and that Dana Andrews was great, and that it was a gorgeous film, but that I was disappointed and let down, especially by the ending.

now: this was at least five years ago, so i will mos def be watching Saturday night and will let you know what i think on re-assessment.

edit- ANGEL was also the first time i saw Linda Darnell in anything, around the same time I ordered HANGOVER SQUARE and was BLOWN AWAY by it, but it wasn't until I saw A LETTER TO THREE WIVES- in which she is BY FAR the best thing- that I realized what a damn good actress she was.

• Like 2

you remember how, about five or so years back (maybe more?) NETFLIX used to be strictly DVDs in the mail, but you got three at a time and IF IT WAS EVER RELEASED ON DVD, YOU COULD GET IT?

I had this for A YEAR and I LOVED IT.

I COULDN'T AFFORD to renew (do they even offer this anymore?) but it was AMAZING. I divided my time between scouring for all the classics TCM wasn't showing at the time and feeding the Psychotronic, Grindhouse, exploitation-movie LOVING worm thaT LIVES IN MY BRAIN. (finally got to see CALIGULA for the first time, so there's that.)

Anyhow, I watched FALLEN ANGEL for the one and only time that way, and as i recall it, the DVD had all kinds of extras and a featurette.and while it was a while ago, the very strong impression that i recall having of it was that there was a resemblance in many forms to LAURA and that Dana Andrews was great, and that it was a gorgeous film, but that I was disappointed and let down, especially by the ending.

now: this was at least five years ago, so i will mos def be watching Saturday night and will let you know what i think on re-assessment.

edit- ANGEL was also the first time i saw Linda Darnell in anything, around the same time I ordered HANGOVER SQUARE and was BLOWN AWAY by it, but it wasn't until I saw A LETTER TO THREE WIVES- in which she is BY FAR the best thing- that I realized what a damn good actress she was.

I agree FALLEN ANGEL is a bit of a letdown, and especially suffers once Linda Darnell is SPOILER ALERT: killed. Somehow, I've always ambushed she'd come back later in the film, not, as in LAURA, by turning up alive, but rather, in a flashback device.

And yes, I also love HANGOVER SQUARE and THREE WIVES, not just because of the quality of the movies, but because of the participation on Darnell, my favorite.

• Like 1

TRIVIA COPIED AND PASTED TRIVIA ENTRY FOR FALLEN ANGELFROM IMDB.COM

According to Wade Williams in Biography: Alice Faye: The Star Next Door (1996), when Alice Faye saw a rough cut of the film and realized that Otto Preminger's editing had diminished the impact of her performance in favor of newcomer Linda Darnell, she got up from the screening, drove off the 20th Century Fox lot, threw her dressing room key to the security guard, and vowed never to work for the studio again.

Faye read and rejected over thirty scripts before accepting "Fallen Angel," which was hoped to be another "Laura." The actress' best scenes were cut and the film ended her long-term association with Fox.

Linda Darnell spent a week working as a waitress in the Fox Commissary to prepare her for her role.

While on their date, Dana Andrews and Alice Faye exit a movie theater and walk past a Rexall Pharmacy. Beginning less than a year after the film was released, Faye would co-star on a weekly radio show with her husband Phil Harris, sponsored by Rexall.
  • Like 1

According to Wade Williams in Biography: Alice Faye: The Star Next Door (1996), when Alice Faye saw a rough cut of the film and realized that Otto Preminger's editing had diminished the impact of her performance in favor of newcomer Linda Darnell, she got up from the screening, drove off the 20th Century Fox lot, threw her dressing room key to the security guard, and vowed never to work for the studio again.

I'm a bit suspicious of an author who refers to Linda Darnell as a "newcomer."

• Like 2

I'm a bit suspicious of an author who refers to Linda Darnell as a "newcomer."

Linda.Darnell started.in.films in 1939, before Dana Andrews, who started in 1940, I think. She was all of 15 when she first played Tyrone Power's leading lady in her second film, DAYTIME WIFE.

Faye read and rejected over thirty scripts before accepting "Fallen Angel," which was hoped to be another "Laura." The actress' best scenes were cut and the film ended her long-term association with Fox.

Linda Darnell spent a week working as a waitress in the Fox Commissary to prepare her for her role.

While on their date, Dana Andrews and Alice Faye exit a movie theater and walk past a Rexall Pharmacy. Beginning less than a year after the film was released, Faye would co-star on a weekly radio show with her husband Phil Harris, sponsored by Rexall.

I thought it was Zanuck's editing???

It was Zanuck that edited it, more reason for Faye's resolve to stay away.

SPOILERS related to Fallen Angel:

I would love to see those edited scenes with Faye to see what they add to the plot.  E.g. where they before or after the killing.      As you noted it would have been interesting is there was a flashback scene with Darnell after she was killed.   E.g. a scene that showed the killers jealously but without giving away who he was.    

Faye does a fine job as the 'good girl' but I don't see where more scenes with her related to the love story angle would have improved the films.    Instead as I note above IF there were more scenes I would want the related to the killing and  'who done it'.

Didnt he cut a song she sang?

That makes sense.     Songs can often work well in noirs;  e.g. Jane Russell and Mitchum films where Jane sings.  This shows that Jane is a 'working gal' since her profession is a singer\entertainer.   Thus it gives inslight into the nature of the character.

But Faye's character wasn't in that profession so to break out into a song would be odd.   Betty Grable didn't get a song in  I Wake Up Screaming if I remember correctly.   

That makes sense. Songs can often work well in noirs; e.g. Jane Russell and Mitchum films where Jane sings. This shows that Jane is a 'working gal' since her profession is a singer\entertainer. Thus it gives inslight into the nature of the character.

But Faye's character wasn't in that profession so to break out into a song would be odd. Betty Grable didn't get a song in I Wake Up Screaming if I remember correctly.

Alice Faye's character played the organ in church. I don't remember if she sang there also; it wasn't in the released film. She did sing along to a.song,."Slowly", which was playing on the radio, I think. There was.a.fuller performance of it by her, which was not used. This is the song that played on the jukebox in the cafe where Linda Darnell worked, which she and her admirers would.select. The singer was fellow Fox contractee/crooner Dick Haymes.

In I WAKE UP SCREAMING, Betty Grable did sing a song, "Hot Spot", which was cut from the film. This was going to be the title of the film, until.Zanuck decided Grable's fans would assume it to be a musical. The dvd , from the Fox Film Noir series, has the deleted scene of her singing the number; she works in the music section of a dept store, and sings it for a customer who enquires about the (sheet music for the?) song. It is peppy, and maybe that was felt to break the suspense building, and therefore, wound on the cutting room floor.

• Like 3

I've had to thread through this thing very carefully, as people seem to be throwing out spoiler alerts left and right to movies that haven't even aired yet! I'll come back and read this thread more carefully after tomorrow night.

I know, sorry.

It's hard to discuss FALLEN ANGEL w/o some spoilers tho.

Two great movie nights in a row...it has been awhile since this has occurred for me on TCM but now a night of George Sanders and then a night of Dana Andrews. Two actors who appear to be underappreciated but consistently gave performances.  The ones that stand out for me are

George is especially good in "The Picture of Dorian Gray"; "All About Eve" and "Rebecca".

Dana in "Best Year of Our Lives", "Laura" and tonight's "Fallen Angel". 

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings