Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saint Marathon

I haven't seen the ones with Hugh Sinclair. Are they any good?

I would not say that they are disappointing but I feel that he simply does not have the panache or boyish charm of George Sanders. I find them to be serviceable movies and worthy of watching once. 

• Like 2

I would not say that they are disappointing but I feel that he simply does not have the panache or boyish charm of George Sanders. I find them to be serviceable movies and worthy of watching once. 

I agree with you SansFin....George was "the Saint" and it was great to see him move on to "The Falcon". I saw the first one with Hugh Sinclair and I think the film suffered somewhat because of the poor film quality and I had a hard time enjoying the film.   I didn't find the dialogue at all scintillating...but enter George and I believed there was a 100% improvement in the film and interactions. 

I was happy to hear Ben give credit to George for the qualities that he brought to his film roles and characters, something I hadn't heard in prior introductions.  Thanks TCM for a delightful evening.

• Like 2

I caught George last night in THE SAINT IN PALM SPRINGS, and then caught Hugh Sinclair in THE SAINT'S VACATION immediately afterward. And yeah, compared to Sanders, Sinclair was, well, pretty damn boring, and definitely lacked that "panache and boyish charm" you mentioned here, Sans. Plus, Sinclair's voice doesn't demand your attention like Sanders' oh so memorable voice does.

(...btw...seein' as how the latter movie would be produced back in "the land of the superfluous-u" and not in the good ol' U.S. of A. like the former was, I gotta wonder why the title of that flick wasn't "THE SAINT ON HOLIDAY" instead???)

;)

• Like 1

I agree with you SansFin....George was "the Saint" and it was great to see him move on to "The Falcon". I saw the first one with Hugh Sinclair and I think the film suffered somewhat because of the poor film quality and I had a hard time enjoying the film.   I didn't find the dialogue at all scintillating...but enter George and I believed there was a 100% improvement in the film and interactions. 

I was happy to hear Ben give credit to George for the qualities that he brought to his film roles and characters, something I hadn't heard in prior introductions.  Thanks TCM for a delightful evening.

When you say 'saw the first one',  did you mean the one with Louis Hayward,  The Saint in New York? 

I ask because that was the first one (made as well as shown by TCM last night),  and the film quality was poor on that one.

Hugh Sinclair was in the last two shown which for east coast folks would have been very late in the evening.

I haven't seen the ones with Hugh Sinclair. Are they any good?

Not in my opinion nor my wife's.  She really likes George Sanders, as do I.  

To me it could have been the writers, director or Hugh Sinclair, but something George had was missing.

There seemed to be an undercurrent of humor in Sanders' Saint and Falcon movies.  It was also there in the Tom Conway Falcon movies.  Of couse, he was Sanders' brother so that would account for some of it.

But I think they both played the roles a little lighter than Sinclair.  Here again the writers or directors may have had an influence.

We often watch the Sanders or Conway movies, but I have already deleted the Sinclair Saint movies.

Hayward was also boring or else the writing or direction was.

There were five Saint movies with Sanders and then RKO began the Falcon series.  Apparently Leslie Charteris was disappointed in how his books were being interpreted for the screen and complained about it.  So RKO took Sanders and created The Falcon.

The Saint TV series sometimes shows up on TV and while I like Roger Moore, don't care much for the series.

• Like 2

To me it could have been the writers, director or Hugh Sinclair, but something George had was missing.

There seemed to be an undercurrent of humor in Sanders' Saint and Falcon movies.  It was also there in the Tom Conway Falcon movies.  Of couse, he was Sanders' brother so that would account for some of it.

But I think they both played the roles a little lighter than Sinclair.  Here again the writers or directors may have had an influence.

We often watch the Sanders or Conway movies, but I have already deleted the Sinclair Saint movies.

There were five Saint movies with Sanders and then RKO began the Falcon series.  Apparently Leslie Charteris was disappointed in how his books were being interpreted for the screen and complained about it.  So RKO took Sanders and created The Falcon.

The Saint TV series sometimes shows up on TV and while I like Roger Moore, don't care much for the series.

While Sanders is my favorite Saint,  I found Louis Hayward to be solid in the role and I enjoyed The Saint in NY (viewed for first time last night).    What surprised me was all the violence:  the Saint kills so many people in this film.     Yea,  technically each killing was in self defense (or the defense of someone else)  but at the same time the Saint often baited his foe into action so he could kill him.  

I didn't do a per-movie count, but I got the impression that subsequent films had the Saint killing less and less.

ron's Photoron

Today, 02:53 PM

Louis Hayward was terrific.Sarcastic and extremely violent,no other actor was this deadly a hero as The Saint.

Sanders was not the killing machine that Hayward was.

A shame that the quality of Haywards Saint, is so poor.

When you say 'saw the first one',  did you mean the one with Louis Hayward,  The Saint in New York? 

I ask because that was the first one (made as well as shown by TCM last night),  and the film quality was poor on that one.

Hugh Sinclair was in the last two shown which for east coast folks would have been very late in the evening.

Yes JJG...I am referring to the Hugh Sinclair "Saint in New York"...the film print was just horrible as was the sound.  I think what made George so good in "The Saint" and in "The Falcon" was his aura of sophistication and the way he held himself (stature) in the role.  I always got the impression that he found the process of movie making an intrusion on his time...but he had to earn money someway.  If you haven't read them, I would encourage you to read the two books about him, one is titled "George Sanders: An Exhausted Life" and one by Bryan Ahern; "A Dreadful Man".

Top Billed and I lobbied continuously in 2016/16 to have him named a SOTM, but no luck.  We have been fortunate to have several Saturdays of "The Falcon" and one evening of George but that is all. 

• Like 1

Yes JJG...I am referring to the Hugh Sinclair "Saint in New York"...the film print was just horrible as was the sound.  I think what made George so good in "The Saint" and in "The Falcon" was his aura of sophistication and the way he held himself (stature) in the role.  I always got the impression that he found the process of movie making an intrusion on his time...but he had to earn money someway.  If you haven't read them, I would encourage you to read the two books about him, one is titled "George Sanders: An Exhausted Life" and one by Bryan Ahern; "A Dreadful Man".

Top Billed and I lobbied continuously in 2016/16 to have him named a SOTM, but no luck.  We have been fortunate to have several Saturdays of "The Falcon" and one evening of George but that is all. 

But in The Saint in New York,  where the print was just horrible,  the Saint is played by Louis Hayward.

Louis Hayward and NOT Hugh Sinclair.   Hayward was the first Saint and then Sanders took over for 5 Saint films.

Hugh Sinclair took over for George Sanders and was in The Saint's Vacation and The Saint meets the Tiger. 

But in The Saint in New York,  where the print was just horrible,  the Saint is played by Louis Hayward.

Louis Hayward and NOT Hugh Sinclair.   Hayward was the first Saint and then Sanders took over for 5 Saint films.

Hugh Sinclair took over for George Sanders and was in The Saint's Vacation and The Saint meets the Tiger. 

Your right...I got my actors confused...so sorry.  Victim of old age I am afraid.

I have to disagree. I really liked Hugh Sinclair. And enjoyed both of his Saint movies. Thought they moved at a quicker pace than the Hollywood versions.....

ron's Photoron

Today, 02:53 PM

Louis Hayward was terrific.Sarcastic and extremely violent,no other actor was this deadly a hero as The Saint.

Sanders was not the killing machine that Hayward was.

A shame that the quality of Haywards Saint, is so poor.

Yes, it was darker than the other Saints. Too bad the quality of the film was so poor. I liked Hayward too.