Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor Miguel Ferrer (1955-2017)

jakeem

Actor Miguel Ferrer, who starred as Assistant Director Owen Granger on the CBS television series "NCIS: Los Angeles," has died of cancer at the age of 61. He was the son of the Academy Award-winning actor José Ferrer and actress-singer Rosemary Clooney, and a first cousin of Oscar winner George Clooney. 

The younger Ferrer died almost 25 years to the day that his father succumbed to colon cancer. José Ferrer passed away on January 26, 1992 at the age of 80. Rosemary Clooney died of lung cancer in 2002.

Miguel Ferrer had played the no-nonsense Granger on "NCIS: Los Angeles" since 2012. In May 2014, he talked about the series and himself in an interview with John Elliott of WCBS-TV/ WLNY-TV in New York:

Ferrer also co-starred in the NBC drama series "Crossing Jordan," which aired from 2001 to 2007. In David Lynch's cult TV series "Twin Peaks," Ferrer played FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield in 1990 and 1991. He reprised the character in Lynch's 1992 feature film "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me." Ferrer is in Lynch's updating of the series, scheduled to begin airing on Showtime beginning May 21, 2017.

Among Ferrer's other film appearances: "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" (1984); "Robocop" (1987, in which he played Bob Morton, the police cyborg's designer); "Hot Shots! Part Deux" (1993); "Traffic" (2000); "Sunshine State" (2002); "The Manchurian Candidate" (the 2004 remake with Denzel Washington and Meryl Streep); and "Iron Man 3" (2013).

Ferrer was a member of one of the entertainment world's most formidable extended families. In addition to his parents and his cousin, he was linked to the family of pop music icon Pat Boone. In 1979, Ferrer's younger brother Gabriel married Boone's daughter Debby, the Grammy Award-winning singer who recorded the 1977 hit "You Light Up My Life." They are the parents of actress Tessa Ferrer, who plays Dr. Leah Murphy on the ABC drama series "Grey's Anatomy." Debby Boone's maternal grandfather was the singer-musician Red Foley (1910-1968), a member of the Country Hall of Fame.

George Clooney's father Nick, the onetime host of American Movie Classics (now AMC), was Rosemary Clooney's brother.

Ferrer's death is a second blow to the cast and crew of "NCIS: Los Angeles." In September, the series' executive producer and showrunner Gary Glasberg died in his sleep at the age of 50.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/miguel-ferrer-dead-ncis-los-angeles-crossing-jordan-1201890002/

• Like 3

That's terrible news. I've been a fan of his for 30 years or more. The last few times I saw him, his voice sounded rough, and I was wondering if he may be ill. He was terrific in Robocop.

He really looked and sounded bad this season on "NCIS: Los Angeles," and the episode "Crazy Train" -- which aired on November 6, 2016 -- showed his character undergoing an ominous MRI exam. Before that, there had been much Internet speculation that Ferrer had suffered a stroke.  

Wow, much too young.

I think I first noticed him on the TV series Crossing Jordan back in the early 2000s, and how much he resembled both in looks and voice his famous and talented father.

(...R.I.P., Miguel)

• Like 1

First Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher's daughter.

Then Rosemary Clooney and José Ferrer's son.

The movie star children of the baby boomer generation dying before their time

-- very sad.

BTW-- Debby Boone, the daughter of Pat Boone, is married to Miguel's brother, Gabriel.

Todd Fisher just posted a picture on Twitter of him & Miguel from when they were in their early 20's. Apparently they were really good friends.

Wow, much too young.

I think I first noticed him on the TV series Crossing Jordan back in the early 2000s, and how much he resembled both in looks and voice his famous and talented father.

(...R.I.P., Miguel)

Ferrer regularly was in demand as a voice artist for animated productions. He contributed to numerous animated superhero TV and movie projects involving the DC Universe. In a 1999 episode of "Superman: The Animated Series," which originally aired Saturday mornings on The WB (now The CW), he was the voice of the underwater monarch Aquaman. Actress Dany Delany provided the voice of Lois Lane.

Hours before Ferrer's death was revealed, it was announced that he would be connected to an upcoming "Teen Titans" animated movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/teen-titans-judas-contract-movie-sets-voice-cast-965621

If you put glasses and a small moustache on him he makes a perfect Igor Stravinsky, a role he should have played.

Sure enough.  I saw some movie about Stravinsky and the guy they got looked more like my dentist.

It was actor MADS MIKKELSON(sic) and he's 10 years Miguel's junior.

Sepiatone

What I remember him most for is an early episode of Magnum, P.I. in which he co-starred with Anne Lockhart.  Later in the story dad Jose and mom June take over as the couple 40 years later and this is one time you didn't need the older folks in soft focus trying to make such a story work.   

I didn't know there was a third generation of Ferrers or Boones in the business.  And they say Hollywood has no family values! 

What I remember him most for is an early episode of Magnum, P.I. in which he co-starred with Anne Lockhart.  Later in the story dad Jose and mom June take over as the couple 40 years later and this is one time you didn't need the older folks in soft focus trying to make such a story work.  

I had forgotten all about that episode. Such creative casting! That Season 1 installment of "Magnum" -- titled "Lest We Forget" -- was written by the series' creator, Donald P. Bellisario, who later launched "NCIS" as a spinoff of "JAG."

1_10_b_full.jpg

Miguel Ferrer and Anne Lockhart

lest.jpg?w=1000

José Ferrer and June Lockhart

he was also in RoboCop and the ABC miniseries The Stand.

"RoboCop" has been mentioned, but not "The Stand."  I wouldn't mind watching that 1994 miniseries again. Ferrer, who appeared as Lloyd Henreid in the production, wanted to play the key character Randall Flagg. That role was offered to actor Jamey Sheridan, who wasn't sure he wanted to do it. It was Ferrer who persuaded him to take it. The two had co-starred in "Shannon's Deal," the NBC legal drama series that aired during the 1990-1991 season.

Ferrer later starred in another Stephen King tale -- the 1997 film adapation of "The Night Flier."

vlcsnap-2011-07-11-17h10m29s212.png

Ferrer co-starred in the ABC miniseries "The Stand"

I've seen very little of his work, but he jumped out at me in Robocop, in which I almost wish the movie had been about his character. He stole every scene he was in. And he was great, great, great as FBI forensics expert Albert Rosenfield in Twin Peaks. I'm happy to hear he'll be in the revival.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings