Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

(Save & Compare0 My final 2016 *0scar nominee predictions?

spence

As many on here already know-(mainly due to both Jakeem & Bogie56) & their excellent up to date coverage of all things cinematic.

Tuesday January 24th the official nominations for THE 89th ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS (AMPAS)

are scheduled to be announced. I had hoped some would also post own predix, but please save and compare below forecast, it also marks my own 35th year at oddsmaking/handicapping *OSCAR

When I started us pundits didn't have benefit of the massive amount of coverage online.  & now, in my opinion there are just too-much pre-Oscar annual film awards. Virtually every state has them nowadays?

This year I entered (3) contests'  Sadly Variety doesn't

have them anymore

(Top 6 major categories only forecasted)  (*-Indicates possible early leader to win)  (Even Mr. 0sborne yrs ago used to throw in his 2  cents & try to predict the final winners)

WHO & WHAT WILL BE NOMINATED?

BEST PICTURE-(will once again & for the 8th consecutive year be 8 to 10 contenders)?:

"THE ARRIVAL"

"FENCES"

"HACKSAW RIDGE"

"HELL OR HIGH WATER"

*"LA LA LAND"-(will easily lead the field with 12 or more) & possibly the only contender to end up a true classic of this year) :)

"LION"

"MANCHESTER BY THE SEA"

"MOONLIGHT"

&  IF THERE ARE TEN?

"SULLY" & "HIDDEN FIGURES"

BEST ACTOR?:

*CASEY AFFLECK in "Manchester by the Sea"

ANDREW GARFIELD, "Hacksaw Ridge"

RYAN GOSLING, "La La Land"

VIGGO MORTENSEN, "Captain Fantastic"

& DENZEL WASHINGTON, "Fences"-(TRIVIA: & would mark his 6th) 

BEST ACTRESS?:

AMY ADAMS in "The Arrival" 

*ISABELLE HUPPERT, "Elle"

NATALIE PORTMAN, "Jackie"

*EMMA STONE, "La La Land"

& MERYL STREEP, "Florence Foster Jenkins"-(TRIVIA: & will mark her astonishing 20th!) :D

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR?:

*MAHERSHELA ALI in "Moonlight"

JEFF BRIDGES,  "Hell or High Water"-(would mark his 7th)

LUCAS HEDGES, "Manchester by the Sea"

AARON TAYLOR JOHNSON, "Nocturnal Animals"

& DEV PATEL, "Lion"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS?:

*VIOLA DAVIS in "Fences"

NAOMIE HARRIS, "Moonlight"

JANELLE MONAE, "Hidden Figures"
 NICOLE KIDMAN, "Lion"

& MICHELLE WILLIAMS, "Manchester by the Sea"

BEST DIRECTOR?:

*DAMIEN CHAZELLE for  "La La Land"

BERRY JENKINS, "Moonlight"

KENNETH LONERGAN, "Manchester by the Sea"

DAVID MACKENZIE, "Hell or High Water"

& DENIS VILLENEUVE, "The Arrival"

& JUST FOR FUN & I LOVE MOVIE-MUSIC-(not the songs so much though)  which of course will also go to "La La Land"-("City of Stars")

BEST ORIGINAL-SCORE?:

"THE BFG" (John Williams; if in the race again I believe it would cite his 52nd nomination!)

"FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS" (Alexander Desplat)

"JACKIE" (Mac Levi)

*"LA LA LAND" (Justin Hurwitz)

& "LION"

VS. My own annual "Alternate *Oscars"  Many on here are also aware of the book by Danny Peary of same title & ON THAT NOTE, PLEASE HELP IS THERE A (REVISED) EDITION OF THAT BOOK? Mine stopped for 1991

Favorite Movie of the Year:

"La La Land"

Actor:

Mark Rylance in "The BFG" (last yrs s. actor winner has no shot at another nod for this, but his work here reminded me of Andy serkis')

& Actress:

Emma Stone in "La Land"

THANK YOU & PLEASE SEND COMMENTS

• Like 1

OOPS, sorry for problem on heading.

By the way, I should know this, but haven't heard yet  Who receives this yrs Lifetime Award?

Not the Jean Hersholt one, but the regular honorary statue?

Plus, I bet Jakeem & Bogi56 already know this & may have already written about it

The brand new & futuristic *AMPAS library/museum will cost over $250m & covers over 290,000 square feet. also to be located on Wilshire, Blvd. Go check it's images out, it looks like something straight out of "Star Wars"

& I still kick myself & it's probably my sole regret upon my (3) vacations to whats left of an empire called "HOLLYWOOD"

& not visiting the actual *ACADEMY bldg.   Can't cover it all though, huh

Not to be confused with where they present the awards at 6801 H. Blvd "Hollywood & Highland Complex"  which was "The Kodak-Theatre' already changed to "The Dolby Theatre" a couple yrs back.  I did go up inside there in 05

The Honorary Oscars/Lifetime Achievement Awards went to:

Jackie Chan

editor Anne V. Coates

casting director Lynn Stalmaster

and documentarian Frederick Wiseman

Are you serious, JACKIE CHAN?

That is ridiculous!

So they aren't awarding 1 during the show this year?

Are you serious, JACKIE CHAN?

That is ridiculous!

So they aren't awarding 1 during the show this year?

They haven't for the past several years, ever since they started the Governors Awards. They take a minute to cover the ceremony, and the recipients get a special box-seat and they get acknowledged during the ceremony. But they haven't given them out on Oscar night in a long time.

BTW, Jackie Chan is one of the biggest movie stars in the entire world, and he dominated the box-office for decades. The Academy honoring that is fine by me. In fact, the entire list of honorees this year show that the Academy is broadening its view on cinematic arts, since the specialties of the other three are rarely acknowledged, either.

• Like 1

They haven't for the past several years, ever since they started the Governors Awards. They take a minute to cover the ceremony, and the recipients get a special box-seat and they get acknowledged during the ceremony. But they haven't given them out on Oscar night in a long time.

BTW, Jackie Chan is one of the biggest movie stars in the entire world, and he dominated the box-office for decades. The Academy honoring that is fine by me. In fact, the entire list of honorees this year show that the Academy is broadening its view on cinematic arts, since the specialties of the other three are rarely acknowledged, either.

THANX FOR REPLY!   I just mean that the likes of *Duvall, *Hopkins,etc are more deserving of a lifetime statuette

WHATS YOUR VIEWS ON MY *OSCAR NOMINEE FORECAST?

Always respect your opinion & it's looking more & more that *Scorsese's epic "Silence" may just end up w/technical nods instead

(P.S. Remember Chan in "Cannonball Run?")

Just saw last evening that the *AMPAS may nominate (9) for "The Biggie' this year

There's a late-(though they already voted) ground swell for "H. Figures" which I wasn't very crazy about myself.

& also a possible 2nd acting nod for *Costner-(s. actor) but to me anyway, he looked rather bored?

Another strange thing, fellow pundits predict *Octavia Spencer to be up for it, but Janelle Monae carries the picture?

& unfortunately, as I just wrote to LawrenceA, *Scorsese's epic "Silence" is looking more & more like it won't make the cut

Same occurred with "Kundun" (l997) (his lowest $grosser$ at only $6m.)  & the perfectly crafted 1993 "Age of Innocence"-(all tech nominations except for Winona Ryder)

& as for the winners, at this stage of the game I'm not entirely positive as I once was that Emma stone in "La La Land' will "Walk Down-the-Aisle'-(she'll likely win at the SAG Awards though)

Over veteran French actress Isabelle Huppert in "Elle"  If she wins it would mark only the 3rd foreign-language performance to take home an *Oscar

BP is a blow-out, as is Best Actor & Supporting Actress   But that is of course for later

THANK YOU & AGAIN, I WELCOME ALL OPINIONS

(P.S. TCM should have an annual contest on predicting the final winners & with somekind of gifts,etc)

As some know since the protests over the past 2 *Academy awards & having no blacks nominated in the top (2) acting slots, they promised to (revise) much & added almost (2,000 more members, many said to be minirorties) also have the 1st black-lady pres.

I think to date there are now approx. (6,670 overall vo ting members)

Sure had hoped more would throw-in their 2 cents though

Very disappointing here :angry:

(NOTE: For the first  time in it's history EW magazine did not have a forecast of the nominations issue, or even a mention of them, except some stupid piece about "Deadpool" maybe getting in the BP race?

"PREMIERE" was so superior, but was only once per month

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings