Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
keywest

The Big chill

How could I have arrived at the age of 62 years old and never have seen The Big Chill? I enjoyed it, but need to see it a few more times. I was not really watching at the beginning.

Hard to say. I saw it when it was originally in theaters, and hated every single character in it. Now, that was a long time ago, and I've seen films that I'm sure are far worse, since; but, I'm not sure I would go as far a liking it, if I ever saw it again.

I watched last night, for the second time in years. I don't feel much different about it - it's okay.

I think the point of the film is, or at least what I took from it is.....life is wonderful when your young.

You can never go back and re-live it. They'd better enjoy it while it last.....

BTW, I'm new to this board - but not to TCM!

Well, it's probably a point of hot debate whether or not this film is a masterpiece of dialogue, score & casting, or a shallow, overblown buffet of iconic boomer neuroses. Everyone I mention it to pretty much loves it (to some degree) or despises it.

I guess you could tally me on the affectionate side of the tote board, mostly I feel in regard for what an immense "launch pad" it was for so many apprentice actors, all of whom were debuting or just getting their first big break therein: Kevin Kline, Glenn Close, Tom Berenger, JoBeth Williams, William Hurt, Mary Kay Place, Jeff Goldblum, Meg Tilly . . even, in a way, Kevin Costner (his flashback footage, as the suiciding friend, got edited out, but funeral shots of his "body" still run under the credits!).

The only other film I can think of to rival as big a debut ensemble was "Diner".

Well,

I had never wtached this b/4 because I THOUGHT I would not like it. I have to see it again to figure out a 'theme" , but I can assure you Life certainly does NOT turn out at 60 the way you envisioned it at 25. can`t say better or worse, just different.

I've seen this movie once before and hated it. I think it's definitely a generational thing as i'm only 27 and I saw this flick 3 years ago.

At least it established Marvin Gaye's "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" as the song of the '60s generation. In fact the whole opening credits with the song playing was the best part of the movie for me. LOL!

Ah well..

I think it's a wonderful little movie, as far as contemporary cinema goes. Just not sure what is it about it that makes a lot of people not like it :(

As someone of the 60s generation, I preferred Gladys Knight and The Pips version of "Grapevine" better.

> "As someone of the 60s generation, I preferred Gladys Knight and The Pips version of "Grapevine" better."

By the time I graduated high school in '73, I had grooved to "Grapevine" covered by Gladys, Marvin, and CCR!

> As someone of the 60s generation, I preferred Gladys

> Knight and The Pips version of "Grapevine" better.

HERETIC!

Nah I don't mind that you like Gladys' version better. I have a story about her and Marvin's version. If you'd like to hear it just holler and i'll type it out. It's one of those "little known facts".

I loved it when I saw it new in the theaters, but it has not aged well at all for me.

I think one of the charms it held initially was the music. But overnight, TV shows copied the idea of pop songs over the use of an original score and so the device became trite very quickly.

The movie seemed at the time to be destined to become a memorable film - and maybe it will come back into favor. But when I tried to watch it on TV a few years later, I got bored fast.

You just reminded me of what I disliked the most about the film. Its soundtrack. I hate films that use pop tunes as their soundtrack, in favor of orchestral scores (which is my favorite style of music).

SPTO, do tell.

At least it established Marvin Gaye's "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" as the song of the '60s generation

I would have bet serious dough that Fogarty sang Grapevine over the credits.

And I'll take Jumping Jack Flash as my 60s song. But then I was born in a crossfire hurricane.

Luckydan you'd lose a lot of money if you did bet big money on it :)

OK onto my anecdote:

In 1967 Norman Whitfield had co-written and produced "Grapevine" for Marvin and it was slated to be a single. At the time Motown had a very rigorous vetting process for their releases and Barry Gordy hated it. He thought the song was too dark and moody for Marvin's fanbase.

Now Norman felt so strongly about the song that he went to Gordy and asked him if he could produce it with another act and was given the go-ahead. Whitfield wisely decided to go in the complete opposite direction with a very uptempo styled track for Gladys Knight and her Pips. As we all know the song was released in '67 and was a #2 hit.

1968 rolls around and Marvin has a new album coming out. One song that was slated to be the first single (I forget which off the top of my head) was pulled at the last minute from being released as an A Side so Norman again made his case for Marvin's "Grapevine" Barry relented this time and it was so close to the wire that actual copies of IN THE GROOVE were coming off the assembly line when "Grapevine" was added. The song immediately became the biggest selling hit in Motown hisory and remained so until Boys II Men's "end of the road".

So when people say Marvin covered Gladys' version of the song it's really the other way around. :D