Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GGGGerald

Bette and Joan

Without giving it away, she certainly was Sans Habits-- but there was something about her appearance that truly startled the I Love Lucy company.

BTW-- Desi, being a Latin gentleman, gave her his robe.

Maybe that's how she got home (in the robe!!!) LOL. Yeah, Tallulah didnt believe in undergarments. Caused quite a commotion in Lifeboat....

Yes, what might have been casting. LOL. I dont see how Tallulah could be considered for the first film since it was Joan who was behind the project from the beginning. Maybe if Joan had backed out?  Cant really see her playing that role. Now Jane would've been a perfect fit!

i've brought this up before, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND listening to Tallulah play ALL ABOUT EVE on the radio (she had a popular evening program on, i think, NBC) she is SO GOOD and she makes her quote about "tearing every hair out" of Bette's "mustache" at the end.

it's on youtube.

i've brought this up before, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND listening to Tallulah play ALL ABOUT EVE on the radio (she had a popular evening program on, i think, NBC) she is SO GOOD and she makes her quote about "tearing every hair out" of Bette's "mustache" at the end.

it's on youtube.

LOL! I bet she was great in it........

I see that Sarah Paulson will be playing Geraldine Page in FEUD: BETTE AND JOAN.

Geraldine Page is one of my favorite actors.

I wonder how she is connected with the Davis/Crawford feud. 

I know that she was in the Robert Aldrich-produced WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE.

This evening, in a small theater on the Lower East Side of New York, I saw Turning Page, a one-woman show written and performed by Angelica Page, the daughter of Geraldine Page and Rip Torn. It was a wonderful show in which the daughter channels her mother. It's all about their (mostly happy) relationship; Geraldine's love for acting (theater over film); and Geraldine's not so happy marriages.  Bette and Joan are not mentioned, but Geraldine's love and admiration for James Dean is mentioned as are her feelings of disgust (personally and professionally) about John Wayne, whom she calls a "right-wing Republican bigot." 

Great show about a woman who loved her art.

http://dixonplace.org/performances/turning-page/

• Like 1

This evening, in a small theater on the Lower East Side of New York, I saw Turning Page, a one-woman show written and performed by Angelica Page, the daughter of Geraldine Page and Rip Torn. It was a wonderful show in which the daughter channels her mother. It's all about their (mostly happy) relationship; Geraldine's love for acting (theater over film); and Geraldine's not so happy marriages.  Bette and Joan are not mentioned, but Geraldine's love and admiration for James Dean is mentioned as are her feelings of disgust (personally and professionally) about John Wayne, whom she calls a "right-wing Republican bigot." 

Great show about a woman who loved her art.

http://dixonplace.org/performances/turning-page/

Thanks so much for sharing this!

I hope that the tour of TURNING PAGE comes to Chicago, where Geraldine Page got her start in the theater.

I found this video on YouTube:

• Like 1

Who is this Peter guy that Joan's hooked up with supposed to be? (I watched episode 2 last night) I dont recall her being hooked up with anyone at that time. But I've noticed they take a lot of liberties with the truth in this series.........I guess since everyone's dead (except Olivia and B.D.) they can get away with it. Still dont see how they can stretch this for 8 episodes!

• Like 2

Who is this Peter guy that Joan's hooked up with supposed to be? (I watched episode 2 last night) I dont recall her being hooked up with anyone at that time. But I've noticed they take a lot of liberties with the truth in this series.........I guess since everyone's dead (except Olivia and B.D.) they can get away with it. Still dont see how they can stretch this for 8 episodes!

i think, like Mamacita, it's an amalgamation of a bunch of the victi...I mean, men in Joan's life.

He's kinda Greg Bautzery...

ps- i'm not in love with the Mamacita thing, btw. going back to the DESIGNING WOMEN playbook on that one.

So was the role of the Hudson sisters' next-door neighbor originally going to be played by a younger woman --- as depicted in Episode 2 of FEUD ---- or was that just added to the TV show so Joan Crawford could react to the woman asking for an autograph for her grandmother who she said was a fan of Joan's since "she was a kid"?

Did she mean since her grandmother was a kid???? 

So was the role of the Hudson sisters' next-door neighbor originally going to be played by a younger woman --- as depicted in Episode 2 of FEUD ---- or was that just added to the TV show so Joan Crawford could react to the woman asking for an autograph for he grandmother who she said was a fan of Joan's since "she was a kid"?

Did she mean since her grandmother was a kid???? 

I wondered about this, too.  I thought, d***n, Joan's not that old.

:)  

I wondered about this, too.  I thought, d***n, Joan's not that old.

Joan was (maybe) 58 when Baby Jane was made, and had been in films for 37 years. So the actress's grandmother could have been a fan, but maybe not as a kid herself.

Joan was (maybe) 58 when Baby Jane was made, and had been in films for 37 years. So the actress's grandmother could have been a fan, but maybe not as a kid herself.

The grandmother was from West Virginia.  ;)

• Like 2

It seemed almost like whoever wrote that anecdote about the dumb blonde telling Crawford her grandmother was a huge fan had been watching the TCM commercial where Arlene Dahl tells a very similar story about meeting Crawford ata dinner party.

The story didnt go that far into details. (LOL) I just read another tidbit that Lucy admired Tallulah's sweater so she took that off too. Explains why she was completely nude and not partially nude. Apparently Tallulah was smashed and crashed the meeting....Not one of Lucy's favorite guest stars.

I've heard this story too! Despite the behind the scenes shenanigans, the Tallulah Bankhead episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour (Episode #2 "The Celebrity Next Door") is probably the best episode of that 13-episode series.  It is pretty funny and is the last episode where Lucille Ball wears her signature Lucy Ricardo bun.  From Episode #3 on for the rest of her career, Lucy wore wigs.  The wigs were worn to hide the tape apparatus she wore to hide wrinkles on her face.  

I've heard this story too! Despite the behind the scenes shenanigans, the Tallulah Bankhead episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour (Episode #2 "The Celebrity Next Door") is probably the best episode of that 13-episode series. It is pretty funny and is the last episode where Lucille Ball wears her signature Lucy Ricardo bun. From Episode #3 on for the rest of her career, Lucy wore wigs. The wigs were worn to hide the tape apparatus she wore to hide wrinkles on her face.

BTW-- It was an especially happy night for Lucy and Desi because that's the night that they learned they had actually succeeded in buying the old RKO movie studio for Desilu.

• Like 1

Anybody watch the third episode of FEUD?  It was kind of bittersweet dealing with Bette and Joan's rocky relationships with their kids.  I also liked the recreations of scenes from WHATEVER HAPPENED... and Bette's developing friendship with Victor Buono.

• Like 3

Anybody watch the third episode of FEUD?  It was kind of bittersweet dealing with Bette and Joan's rocky relationships with their kids.  I also liked the recreations of scenes from WHATEVER HAPPENED... and Bette's developing friendship with Victor Buono.

They sorta did take some liberties with Victor though, didn't they?  I mean, did we HAVE to be privy to his early predilictions?  Emphasis on the "LIC"   ;)

Sepiatone

To me, Victor Buono was the best thing in the film.

• Like 1

I'm glad they clarified in Episode 3 that Victor Buono did not actually "come from Broadway" as Robert Aldrich told Bette Davis in the previous episode of FEUD.

I'm glad that the FEUD team didn't make such an easily checked error. 

Lorna:  I too remember Tallulah's radio variety show.  I recall It was on Sunday evenings and ended with the lady herself singing "May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You".  When that Lucy-Desi show came on I was delighted to finally see her.  Whenever I see strawberries-which is right now as it's our big crop here and it's the season-I remember it. 

I gave up on the show last week as it just wasn't ringing true and there was too much blasphemy for me to sit through.  It came across as The National Inquirer on film and I can't tell what is true and what is conjecture.  I did think Susan Sarandon's Bette was ahead of Jessica Lange's Joan and Alfred Molina should get an Emmy as Robert Aldrich.  Stanley Tucchi is better looking than the real Jack Warner who always looks slimy in pictures and newsreels.  As for Victor Buono, like RO I didn't know he was gay and really don't care; I admired them for their work.  I forgot it was on last night and have no desire to catch it on the net.

• Like 1

To me, Victor Buono was the best thing in the film.

When I first saw the movie at the theater in '62, I thought the same thing-- of course-- next to Bette!

Victor's career was cut way too short, but I really enjoyed him on television, in particular, on The Untouchables and Perry Mason, as well as in the movie Robin and the Seven Hoods.

I'm glad they clarified in Episode 3 that Victor Buono did not actually "come from Broadway" as Robert Aldrich told Bette Davis in the previous episode of FEUD.

I'm glad that the FEUD team didn't make such an easily checked error. 

Funny you mentioned this, Holden.

Ya see, right after I watched that scene last night, I did in fact check Victor Buono's Wiki bio page, and sure enough it does say Buono was a San Diego native and as a young man played many parts at San Diego's The Old Globe Theatre.  

They sorta did take some liberties with Victor though, didn't they?  I mean, did we HAVE to be privy to his early predilictions?  Emphasis on the "LIC"   ;)

Sepiatone

Did it actually happen? I thought it was very tacky. And if they just made it up even more so. I dont ever remember reading about that (though I guess it could've been hushed up) Lots of stuff in this series didnt happen or is just speculation......

• Like 1

Lorna:  I too remember Tallulah's radio variety show.  I recall It was on Sunday evenings and ended with the lady herself singing "May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You".  When that Lucy-Desi show came on I was delighted to finally see her.  Whenever I see strawberries-which is right now as it's our big crop here and it's the season-I remember it. 

I gave up on the show last week as it just wasn't ringing true and there was too much blasphemy for me to sit through.  It came across as The National Inquirer on film and I can't tell what is true and what is conjecture.  I did think Susan Sarandon's Bette was ahead of Jessica Lange's Joan and Alfred Molina should get an Emmy as Robert Aldrich.  Stanley Tucchi is better looking than the real Jack Warner who always looks slimy in pictures and newsreels.  As for Victor Buono, like RO I didn't know he was gay and really don't care; I admired them for their work.  I forgot it was on last night and have no desire to catch it on the net.

If you thought it was like the National Inquirer, it was best you did skip Sunday's episode. Very tacky and possibly libelous.

• Like 1

If you thought it was like the National Inquirer, it was best you did skip Sunday's episode. Very tacky and possibly libelous.

Recorded it, now I really can't wait to watch it!

• Like 1

omigah!

i did not watch the most recent episode because I WENT TO GO SEE THE PRETENDERS (and to a lesser extent, Stevie Nicks) in Raleigh.

about eight songs in, CHRISSIE HYNDE ripped off her white Vivienne Westwood claw-hammer tail coat and tossed it at the base of the drums and I blacked out. when i came to, I was informed that my name has been submitted to the GUINNESS BOOK OF GAY WORLD RECORDS for the "LONGEST 'YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!!!!' IN RECORDED HISTORY!"

Kinda "over" FEUD...but will someone PM me to tell me just what lascivious detail about Victor they possibly fabricated?

ps- you guys, ROCK AND ROLL IS STILL ALIVE!!!!!!!

pss- Stevie reeeallly liked to hear herself talk tho'.

• Like 2