Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GGGGerald

Bette and Joan

You know who would just love the turn this conversation has taken?  Tallulah.  I sure she would have had a lot of insight to provide.

Getting back on topic, I'll say that I've enjoyed the show so far. I like the performers (Sarandon, Molina, Davis, even Lange) which is why I decided to watch this in the first place. I can see where both viewpoints are coming from, re: historical veracity. It's somewhat disappointing if major liberties are taken, especially if there isn't a disclaimer saying as much at the outset. But I also realize that this isn't a documentary, and that it's meant to entertain more than inform. 

I noticed for the last few weeks since the show premiered that What Ever Happened to Baby Jane has been among the top best-sellers on Amazon, so at least more people are checking out classic film as a result.

• Like 1

That's good at least! I'm still watching the show, but with 5 more episodes to go, I dont know how much (supposed) drama they can wring out of it..............

I just checked and its listed Number 31 today. Very high for a film over 50 years old. Am sure it has to be due to the series........

It's kind of a shame that BABY JANE is enjoying something of a resurgence because, and I know I HAVE brought this up like 10 million times before but: I do not like it. It's too long, the sets are claustrophobic, I don't like the pacing – I really don't think it rates any better than 2 1/2 stars out of four. And it's a shame that this tends to be one of the few classic moviesthat the general public still showssome interest in.

About the only thing that does work in it is the cast, and if not for the performances it would so be in the dustbin of movie history.

• Like 1

I agree the film is too long and the script is full of implausibilities and holes. But it's the stars and the history they bring with them (Aldrich was smart to include that, I'm assuming it was his idea?) that makes the film more than it would be otherwise. It's basically a B movie, but it turns out to be more than that in the end. The "supposed" rivalry between the 2 stars also adds to the films storyline.

I think the claustrophobia was intended (aside from budget restrictions) Both sisters trapped living together and co-dependent on each other....

Did anyone catch the tv remake with the Redgraves back in the 80s or 90s? I didnt see it. Who played whom?

The Redgrave version of BABY JANE That aired on TV in the early 90s was actually the first version I saw, and it definitely made an impression on me. Lynn Redgrave played Jane, and Vanessa Redgrave played Blanche, and John Glover played the Buono role

In that version, they had both been 1960s pop stars I believe, and their claim to fame was a popular duet

As I recall it, and it's been quite a long time, Lynn was especially good – she seemed to be enjoying having a role she could really let go in. The tv version also had the kind of set I would like to see: a big giant old Hollywood entryway with a great big sweeping staircase, which is just what the story calls for and added a lot of extra tension to the scene where Vanessa had to crawl down the stairs.

(posted with my phone in case the grammar and spelling is even more atrocious then usual)

The Redgrave version of BABY JANE That aired on TV in the early 90s was actually the first person I saw, and it definitely made an impression on me. Lynn Redgrave played Jane, and Vanessa Redgrave play Blanche, and John Glover played the Buono role

In that version, they had both been 1960s pop stars I believe, and their claim to fame was a popular duet

As I recall it, and it's been quite a long time, Lynn right rate was especially good – she seem to be enjoying having a roll she could really let go in. The version also had to kind of set I would like to see, a big giant old Hollywood entryway with a great big sweeping staircase, which is just what the story calls for and added a lot of extra attention to the scene where Vanessa had to crawl down the stairs.

I see. I wondered if it was a straight remake or they made changes. At 2 hours (with commercials) it was a lot shorter. I had thought Lynn played Jane, but wasnt sure....

You may be right, but it wasnt made clear exactly what it was. Since there were rows of seats, I assumed it was some sort of makeshift theater. I'm not familiar with Murphy, but I have a lot of reservations about him trashing dead celebrities in this series. Some of the incidents in this show I know are either untrue or unsubstantiated (or happened in a different time) etc....

Then I guess you're not waiting for the made-for-tv miniseries based on Scotty Bowers book--

" Full Service:

My Adventures in Hollywood and The Secret Sex Lives of The Stars". LOL

Lynn was also every bit as grotesque, if not possibly slightly more so, than Bette in the role

LOL! That's saying something. :D

Lorna: au contraire, the spelling and grammar are divine! Just a stray capital letter.. is "are" correct? Yes, I think so....

Then I guess you're not waiting for the made-for-tv miniseries based on Scotty Bowers book--

" Full Service:

My Adventures in Hollywood and The Secret Sex Lives of The Stars". LOL

No, but I did get a few chuckles reading it....

Lorna: au contraire, the spelling and grammar are divine! Just a stray capital letter.. is "are" correct? Yes, I think so....

awtHANKS

LOL! That's saying something. :D

After a quick Google image search, I can safely say that I stand by my earlier assessment. Yikes!

After a quick Google image search, I can safely say that I stand by my earlier assessment. Yikes!

Can you post it???

The Redgrave version of BABY JANE That aired on TV in the early 90s was actually the first version I saw, and it definitely made an impression on me. Lynn Redgrave played Jane, and Vanessa Redgrave played Blanche, and John Glover played the Buono role

As I recall it, and it's been quite a long time, Lynn was especially good – she seemed to be enjoying having a role she could really let go in. The tv version also had the kind of set I would like to see: a big giant old Hollywood entryway with a great big sweeping staircase, which is just what the story calls for and added a lot of extra tension to the scene where Vanessa had to crawl down the stairs.

(posted with my phone in case the grammar and spelling is even more atrocious then usual)

I  like the version of BABY JANE with the Redgrave sisters a lot. Both Lynn and Vanessa Redgrave do good American accents. Perhaps Lynn's is a bit better.

In that version Jane was a child star in the 1940s/1950s while Blanche was a movie star as an adult in the 1960s with Jane occasionally having small parts is some of Blanche's movies.

In one of those movies, Blanche and Jane sang a pop duet  called "There Should Be Love."

John Glover's character Billy (the equivalent of the Victor Buono role) is the manager of video store that Jane meets when she goes looking for some Baby Jane movies on VHS. There are none although they have some Blanche Hudson movies in the store. (There's a funny bit where Jane sees a customer with a Blanche Hudson movie and says "I wouldn't do it.") 

Billy convinces Jane to lip sync to a recording of "There Should Be Love" at a 1960s talent night at a club (in Hollywood I think --it looks like a seedy neighborhood) with Jane providing all the money for the entrance fee and other expenses.

Billy tells Jane that Blanche's part of the song will just be a voice coming from the darkness, but during the performance Billy actually joins Jane onstage in drag as Blanche, much to Jane's dismay.

• Like 1

Billy tells Jane that Blanche's part of the song will just be a voice coming from the darkness, but during the performance Billy actually joins Jane onstage in drag as Blanche, much to Jane's dismay.

Oh yeah, I remember that part. It is seared in my brain.

kinda looks like Pippi Longstocking on Meth:

hqdefault.jpg

OMG!!!

• Like 1

No i'm on my phone, but I will the next time I get to my computer at work.

Thanks!

I  like the version of BABY JANE with the Redgrave sisters a lot. Both Lynn and Vanessa Redgrave do good American accents. Perhaps Lynn's is a bit better.

In that version Jane was a child star in the 1940s/1950s while Blanche was a movie star as an adult in the 1960s with Jane occasionally having small parts is some of Blanche's movies.

In one of those movies, Blanche and Jane sang a pop duet  called "There Should Be Love."

John Glover's character Billy (the equivalent of the Victor Buono role) is the manager of video store that Jane meets when she goes looking for some Baby Jane movies on VHS. There are none although they have some Blanche Hudson movies in the store. (There's a funny bit where Jane sees a customer with a Blanche Hudson movie and says "I wouldn't do it.") 

Billy convinces Jane to lip sync to a recording of "There Should Be Love" at a 1960s talent night at a club (in Hollywood I think --it looks like a seedy neighborhood) with Jane providing all the money for the entrance fee and other expenses.

Interesting.