Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carol Ann in "Mommie Dearest" was an amalgam of a number of Crawford assistants/secretaries:

Betty Barker was a long time assistant in Los Angeles who handled a lot of Joan's paper work even after Joan moved to NYC, and a woman named Darinka Papich was with Joan in her apartment when she died and was, I believe, a fellow Christian Scientist. 

The maid, Mamacita, was very much a real woman whom Joan hired when she was vacationing on Long Island and needed some help.  

Thanks. That's way more info than I was hoping for. The show seems to be giving Mamacita some of the qualities of Max, Gloria Swanson's dour employee/enforcer in Sunset Boulevard. Joan seems to rely heavily on her for advice and unquestioning moral support. I loved the scene where they come on the set for the first time and Mamacita walks directly behind Joan handing her the presents and whispering to Joan the pertinent personal information with which Joan then greets the crew members.

mamacita f (plural mamacitas)

1. diminutive of mamá
  2. (Latin America, slang) babe, **** (sexually attractive woman)

Obviously NOT the woman's name, and probably NOT Joan's "Mama", and DEFINITLEY  not in the second category, I wonder at both the creation of the character and the name. (the word "h o t t i e" was given the star treatment)

Sepiatone

Here are side by side photos of Sarah Paulson and Geraldine Page. 

paulson3-240x240.jpg

I couldn't find any photos of Paulson "in character" as Page.

I agree that there is a very strong resemblance betwixt the two.

Have you ever seen HONDO (1953)? I think it is her finest performance and one of John Wayne's as well.

Other than being white women, I see little to no resemblance.

Well they both have high cheek bones and slightly puffy cheeks,  but other than that,  I don't see any resemblance there   (and that could be because of how the photos were taken).

Are you talking about the tv mini-series "Feud?"  unfortunately I missed `1/2 of it, but it looks strong & is on FX

Yes, that's what I talking about.  I watched it via Comcast On Demand.  I hated it.

I just watched online at the FX site -- no charge.

I thought the great Judy Davis was very good, "Welcome to the house that fear built."  Hah!

Catherine Zeta Jones as Olivia?   Just no.  What was that accent?

Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis;  I thought she had the look and the sound as well as anyone could be expected to do for such a unique actress.  Susan's slightly poppy brown eyes are a plus for the part.

Jessica Lange as Joan just wasn't right for me.  Joan was still very firm faced and beautiful at that time.  Jessica, with her tiny nose and eyes is almost opposite in type and her voice is too wispy.  But I agree that it's nice to see the soft vulnerable side of Joan. 

If I have to take a side in the feud -- and I love both women -- I'll take Joan because she did have a terrible childhood while Bette grew up well off and spoiled.

Keirnan Shipka as B. D. Hyman (Bette's daughter)  was a nice tie in with "Mad Men," where she played the Draper's daughter and grew up in front of us.  It's as if she's stuck in the sixties forever.  I hope she gets some good scenes later, she's a really good actress.

What fun it is!  I'll be watching all of it, I'm sure.

• Like 2

One of the great performances by an older actress in contemporary times was Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream.  ​She was brilliant -- nearly 70 when she made the film. She was nominated for Best Actress and should have won. 

Off topic a bit but I couldn't agree more.  I think Julia Roberts won because everyone loved her and voters probably thought she was "due" but Burstyn's performance was absolutely terrific.

As for FEUD, I love Bette and I love Joan and I love WHATEVER HAPPENED TO...so I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it because I didn't want the film makers to make fun of these two great women and their wonderful movie.  But I enjoyed it so far and I'm going to follow it through.  Love Judy Davis and Kathy Bates in it.  I have to use my imagination a bit with the two leads; sort of like Anthony Hopkins as Richard Nixon in NIXON.  They may not look that much like their characters but they are getting the mannerisms down pretty good.  Favorite scene so far was Bette with soon-to-be ex-husband Gary Merrill.

• Like 1

I watched the first episode with relish--well mounted, campy fun. The actors seemed to be having a fine old time playing the old Hollywood figures and did a capable job of it.  I especially enjoyed Judy Davis as Hedda Hopper, and wonder if she might have been in the running to play Betty Davis; she would have been at least as good as Sarandon in the role.

The one casting misfire was Zetta-Jones as Olivia DeHavilland; not believable at all.

The production design was quite opulent for a TV show, and the home used as Crawford's was appropriately grand, in Beverly Hills classic style.

I did spot a few minor historical inaccuracies, but nothing too glaring. 

How many episodes are there of Bette and Joan? I recorded it and havent had time to watch more than the first 10 mins or so. (No sign of Bette yet) I thought Lange was very good as Joan, but the show does take liberties. That Marilyn/Joan feud took place in the early 50's not 1961! Judy Davis was good as Hedda. I didnt evern realize that was Zeta-Jones as Olivia!

There are 8 episodes.  One devoted to the Oscars  called "And the Winner is....".  It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be someone playing Anne Bancroft that we know of...I have read that a number of actors/actresses will be portrayed at the Oscar ceremony.  After all, Joan delivered the Oscar personally to Anne in NY  after one of Anne's stage performances.

• Like 1

There are 8 episodes.  One devoted to the Oscars  called "And the Winner is....".  It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be someone playing Anne Bancroft that we know of...I have read that a number of actors/actresses will be portrayed at the Oscar ceremony.  After all, Joan delivered the Oscar personally to Anne in NY  after one of Anne's stage performances.

YES. (Thanks).

How many episodes are there of Bette and Joan? I recorded it and havent had time to watch more than the first 10 mins or so. (No sign of Bette yet) I thought Lange was very good as Joan, but the show does take liberties. That Marilyn/Joan feud took place in the early 50's not 1961! Judy Davis was good as Hedda. I didnt evern realize that was Zeta-Jones as Olivia!

The part with Marilyn was the 1960 Golden Globes where Monroe won the award for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical. 

Are you saying that by 1960 Joan was no longer bitter toward an actress like Monroe  (I.e.  Monroe's type of blonde bombshell?).

Even if some of the timing of the event was off it was effective in communication how aging actresses were treated and how this lead to the pairing of Bette and Joan in the film.

i just love to imagine CRAWFORD clutching the Oscar and cackling all the way to the Limo from the ceremony, continuing on through the ride to LAX, and all the way through the terminal as she's driven on a motorized cart to the gate.

then getting on the plane and laughing about it NON STOP for the entire three hour flight, stopping for moments only to start again as she thinks about it...occasionally letting out a hot, juicy Vodka belch that shook the whole First Class cabin....

• Like 1

The part with Marilyn was the 1960 Golden Globes where Monroe won the award for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical. 

Are you saying that by 1960 Joan was no longer bitter toward an actress like Monroe  (I.e.  Monroe's type of blonde bombshell?).

Even if some of the timing of the event was off it was effective in communication how aging actresses were treated and how this lead to the pairing of Bette and Joan in the film.

The Golden Globe ceremony may have been right, but the "feud" (due to Crawford's uncomplimentary remarks about Monroe's attire and behavior to the press) dated from the early 50s. According to some sources, Monroe and Crawford had a fling and Crawford resented being "dumped". Unsure how true that is.......

I read a story that when Marilyn died, Joan was with George Cukor at his house and became very upset and emotional about the news.  George said something like "You always hated the woman, why do you care now?" and Joan replied that it was so sad Marilyn died all alone and no one was around to help her deal with her troubles......I like to think that Joan had that depth of feeling (or maybe she just saw her own future in front of her)

• Like 1

The Golden Globe ceremony may have been right, but the "feud" (due to Crawford's uncomplimentary remarks about Monroe's attire and behavior to the press) dated from the early 50s. According to some sources, Monroe and Crawford had a fling and Crawford resented being "dumped". Unsure how true that is.......

Yes,  that feud started in the 50s,  but I fail to see how showing that scene from the 1960 Golden Globe ceremony is an example of " but the show does take liberties".

Damn, leave it to Joan to be totally on point while Anne is completely ratched....

to be fair, i recall ANNE was in character for a play (MOTHER COURAGE? TANTA KRINGLE? THE MARIA OUSPENSKAYA STORY? I can't recall specifics) to which the commitment forbade her attendance to that year's ceremony. whether it was Machiavellian plotting on the part of JOAN to show up in her silver beaded gown from the ceremony whilst Anne was still in character, who can say?

for the record, Bancroft was a KNOCKOUT, who showed up to present the BEST ACTOR award at the ceremony the following year and looked AMAZING.

68e2271a8573aa6fdbed06166a8a516f.jpg

ETA: is it just me or is the gal on the other side of Poitier SO NOT HERE FOR THIS???

I'm thinking she's maybe holding it for someone who's in the can or something; LOOKS TO BE HAVING 0% FUN...amirite?

• Like 1

to be fair, i recall ANNE was in character for a play (MOTHER COURAGE? TANTA KRINGLE? THE MARIA OUSPENSKAYA STORY? I can't recall specifics) to which the commitment forbade her attendance to that year's ceremony. whether it was Machiavellian plotting on the part of JOAN to show up in her silver beaded gown from the ceremony whilst Anne was still in character, who can say?

It was Mother Courage, a production which was not fondly remembered, partly because Jerome Robbins, not the most beloved person on Broadway, was the director. (I had a conversation with Eric Bentley about this several years ago. Bentley translated the play.) Great cast, in addition to Ms. Bancroft: Gene Wilder, Zohra Lampert, Barbara Harris. Produced by Robbins in conjunction with the great Cheryl Crawford.

• Like 1