Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GGGGerald

Bette and Joan

I don't know if this is where you read it Christine, but Entertainment Weeky has a new interview with Ryan Murphy who mentions the affair.  Also interesting is that in Episode 5 (is that the Oscar episode?) Zeta-Jones has actual scenes in the show as Olivia......

• Like 1

I don't know if this is where you read it Christine, but Entertainment Weeky has a new interview with Ryan Murphy who mentions the affair.  Also interesting is that in Episode 5 (is that the Oscar episode?) Zeta-Jones has actual scenes in the show as Olivia......

Is there anything besides his word that confirms this??? I've read a lot about Bette over the years, and no book mentions any affair between the two.

• Like 1

My "creepy" Ray Milland role is opposite Gail Russell in The Uninvited.  I think she's just supposed to be a teen-ager or young adult, and he's definitely 40ish.  

And I don't care how many vitamins he took, Bob Cummings will never be sexy in my book.

You don't "Love That Bob"?

I can't find the article I read but I did look at that EW story RoyCronin mentioned. SLATE and VULTURE also have interesting articles about FEUD and Bette & Joan.  Maybe I misunderstood; Bette and Joan did sometimes have affairs with their directors and apparently Joan and Aldrich had a fling during AUTUMN LEAVES.  Who knows for sure?  As someone wrote on one of the Robert Osborne sites, so many of the older stars and older film historians have passed on so some of that first-hand knowledge of what really happened in the movie biz has gone with them.  It certainly makes sense that in the Hollywood of yore where actors are under contract with studios and thus making films with the same directors and co-stars and are spending hours together there are bound to be plenty of opportunities for behind-the-scenes romances.

• Like 1

I can't find the article I read but I did look at that EW story RoyCronin mentioned. SLATE and VULTURE also have interesting articles about FEUD and Bette & Joan.  Maybe I misunderstood; Bette and Joan did sometimes have affairs with their directors and apparently Joan and Aldrich had a fling during AUTUMN LEAVES.  Who knows for sure?  As someone wrote on one of the Robert Osborne sites, so many of the older stars and older film historians have passed on so some of that first-hand knowledge of what really happened in the movie biz has gone with them.  It certainly makes sense that in the Hollywood of yore where actors are under contract with studios and thus making films with the same directors and co-stars and are spending hours together there are bound to be plenty of opportunities for behind-the-scenes romances.

I JUST WORRY About getting into Kenneth Anger territory with the "can't libel the dead" school of "entertainment journalism" on speculating about the sex lives of the famous long after they've passed.

if, in the forthcoming episodes, we see Joan having a tryst with Mr. Ed or Bette taking on the USC starting line-up, I'm gonna be peeved.

• Like 1

RE: Bette Davis/Robert Aldrich hook-up/affair depicted in FEUD

Here's an excerpt from Ryan Murphy's ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY interview: 

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY:

How much of this is real and how much is fictionalized for TV?

RYAN MURPHY:
The weird thing about this show is how much of it you can’t believe is accurate. My stance on the show is we’re not making a documentary — we’re making a piece of drama based on fact. So right there, that’s our rule. We did a lot of research. We looked at around 25 books. In some cases, we spoke to people still alive who knew them. And then, of course, I spent four hours with Bette Davis and so a lot of that stuff is her perception of how a lot of that happened.

In this episode, we have a very brief affair between Bette Davis and Robert Aldrich. Now, that is based on several things: That is based on the fact that Davis, by her own admission to me, loved sleeping with her directors. She slept with at least four of them. It’s based on the fact that Robert Aldrich and Joan Crawford did have an affair when they were shooting Autumn Leaves. It’s based on the fact that Robert Aldrich was going through a very difficult divorce at the time and he did leave his wife. And also most interesting to me is that Joan Crawford herself said they had an affair. She says 100 percent they had an affair because she saw intimations of it and she was worried Aldrich was throwing the picture to Davis. When they were doing the sequel, she would call his room to give him voluminous notes, and Davis was in bed next to him saying, “Shut up! The champagne is getting flat.”

[i presume the "sequel" he's referring to is HUSH . . . HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE.] 

• Like 2

I JUST WORRY About getting into Kenneth Anger territory with the "can't libel the dead" school of "entertainment journalism" on speculating about the sex lives of the famous long after they've passed.

if, in the forthcoming episodes, we see Joan having a tryst with Mr. Ed or Bette taking on the USC starting line-up, I'm gonna be peeved.

LOL!

I know Bette did have affairs with some of her directors (Wyler and Sherman at least) but I've never read anything about Aldrich. In the case of Wyler it was a full fledged love affair, but Wyler was wary of becoming involved with Bette on a long term basis. Sherman slept with both Bette and Joan. In his book, he said for Bette it was more of an emotional release but with Joan it was more an ego trip kind of thing........

RE: Bette Davis/Robert Aldrich hook-up/affair depicted in FEUD

Here's an excerpt from Ryan Murphy's ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY interview: 

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY:

How much of this is real and how much is fictionalized for TV?

RYAN MURPHY:

The weird thing about this show is how much of it you can’t believe is accurate. My stance on the show is we’re not making a documentary — we’re making a piece of drama based on fact. So right there, that’s our rule. We did a lot of research. We looked at around 25 books. In some cases, we spoke to people still alive who knew them. And then, of course, I spent four hours with Bette Davis and so a lot of that stuff is her perception of how a lot of that happened.

In this episode, we have a very brief affair between Bette Davis and Robert Aldrich. Now, that is based on several things: That is based on the fact that Davis, by her own admission to me, loved sleeping with her directors. She slept with at least four of them. It’s based on the fact that Robert Aldrich and Joan Crawford did have an affair when they were shooting Autumn Leaves. It’s based on the fact that Robert Aldrich was going through a very difficult divorce at the time and he did leave his wife. And also most interesting to me is that Joan Crawford herself said they had an affair. She says 100 percent they had an affair because she saw intimations of it and she was worried Aldrich was throwing the picture to Davis. When they were doing the sequel, she would call his room to give him voluminous notes, and Davis was in bed next to him saying, “Shut up! The champagne is getting flat.”

It's still just his word that it happened. (Bette and Aldrich). I guess it's possible, but I dont believe it.

It's still just his word that it happened. (Bette and Aldrich). I guess it's possible, but I dont believe it.

Absolutely. Ryan Murphy clearly is making an inference. He never says that Davis explicitly told him that she slept with Aldrich. 

robert-aldrich-jonr02.jpg

oh please.

who among us cannot sense the POWERFUL SEXUAL TENSION BETWEEN THE TWO OF THEM.

How could two such MAGNIFICENT CARCASSES resist colliding!?

• Like 1

oh please.

LMREO!!! I dont want to think about it..............

• Like 1

LMREO!!! I dont want to think about it..............

IT'S LIKE imagining the high school AV Club/Bio teacher doin' it with the embittered, crusty old english teacher.

• Like 1

oh please.

Looking at Joan in that photo, she does look quite like Jessica Lange in Feud.

Looking at Joan in that photo, she does look quite like Jessica Lange in Feud.

but i remember the makers of FEUD did NOT use the same type of blouse with droopy bow nightgown for Lange's Joan in the same scenes...the costumes seem to be similar to originals in many cases and circumstances, but with notable and intentional differences.

there was no droopy bow and i missed it.

• Like 2

IT'S LIKE imagining the high school AV Club/Bio teacher doin' it with the embittered, crusty old english teacher.

Yes, not something you want to dwell on. :D

but i remember the makers of FEUD did NOT use the same type of blouse with droopy bow nightgown for Lange's Joan in the same scenes...the costumes seem to be similar to originals in many cases and circumstances, but with notable and intentional differences.

there was no droopy bow and i missed it.

Wonder why they ditched the bow? It makes it (LOL)

• Like 1

spoiler**

**although i think we've almost all seen episode 2 at this point....

i dunno, but according to a fact ccheck run by EONLINE, there is no evidence that Aldrich and Crawford had any kind of affair- the line about their "private rehearsals" on AUTUMN LEAVES was made-up; Aldrich himself denied a relationship happened, and I was under the impression Joan was boffing Cliff Robertson on that joint- and if you got Cliff, AND you're THE leading lady, I say eat the cake.

if they are in fact making up an affair between Davis and Aldrich (or Crawford and Aldrich for that matter), then that BOTHERS ME.

(a lot)

ps- welcome to the boards.

Thank you for the welcome! This is a nice place to be. :)

That's interesting that they would just make all that up about the affairs between Crawford/Aldrich and Davids/Aldrich. I mean, I get that it's TV and they like to take creative license sometimes, but I really didn't expect them to stray that far from the truth. And I agree with you, I'm not sure I like that very much.

I actually really enjoyed the scene of Davis and Aldrich (before the kiss) being just friends and a sort of comfort to each other; it all seemed very natural, genuine and even kinda sweet. Then they had to inevitably take it where all male/female friendships supposedly lead-- physical intimacy. I could definitely overlook the clichè if the affair were true, but it appears that it probably isn't.

Though, lookig back, I guess they did set up the affair earlier in the episode with the whole "Letter to Daddy" scene, in which there was a bit of sensual tension.

Gee, that Bob Aldrich was quite the ladies' man, wasn't he? His poor wife!

• Like 1

Apparently, Joan was very busy with Cliff: she said "Cliff Robertson was stunning... I'm proud to say I coached him from all the research I'd done for POSSESSED".....

• Like 1

oh please.

LOL! ???? The image that that sentence conjures up *shudders*

I'm grateful to the show for sparing us the visuals of the affair beyond the kiss. I hope they keep it that way! Though, in all fairness, the actors are slightly more appealing than the real thing.

• Like 1

Thank you for the welcome! This is a nice place to be. :)

That's interesting that they would just make all that up about the affairs between Crawford/Aldrich and Davids/Aldrich. I mean, I get that it's TV and they like to take creative license sometimes, but I really didn't expect them to stray that far from the truth. And I agree with you, I'm not sure I like that very much.

I actually really enjoyed the scene of Davis and Aldrich (before the kiss) being just friends and a sort of comfort to each other; it all seemed very natural, genuine and even kinda sweet. Then they had to inevitably take it where all male/female friendships supposedly lead-- physical intimacy. I could definitely overlook the clichè if the affair were true, but it appears that it probably isn't.

Though, lookig back, I guess they did set up the affair earlier in the episode with the whole "Letter to Daddy" scene, in which there was a bit of sensual tension.

Gee, that Bob Aldrich was quite the ladies' man, wasn't he? His poor wife!

He sure didnt look it!

• Like 1

LOL! The image that that sentence conjures up *shudders*

I'm grateful to the show for sparing us the visuals of the affair beyond the kiss. I hope they keep it that way! Though, in all fairness, the actors are slightly more appealing than the real thing.

LOL. Hopefully Bette took her Baby Jane make up off, if true.......

Wonder why they ditched the [big droopy] bow? [on the nightgown CRAWFORD wears in BABY JANE]

It makes it (LOL)

It really does.

Had I any part of this series, I would have DEMANDED IT or I WOULD WALK OFF-SET THEN AND THERE.

I ALSO felt "iffy" overall with regard to the way episode 2 started- where Kathy Bates walked us through the 1943-1950 years for Joan and Bette- and I know you're all gonna roll your eyes and say "well, it's old for YOU Lorna, because you KNOW all the details already," but i still think they could have given us a more fresh take on their "origin stories."

(I mean, how many times do we have to see the story about Bette being bitten by that irradiated spider?)

don't know WHAT THE HELL KIND OF CGI THEY WERE USING TO MAKE LANGE LOOK ANYTHING CLOSE TO 42 in these scenes, but I am thinking it ate A LOT of budget.

they also speculated Joan slept with Jack Warner in these scenes.

it was fun to see Sarandon do Bette's BIG EEEEVILLE scene in THE LITTLE FOXES, she was clearly having a blast.

the dialogue in re: her objections to BEYOND THE FOREST was terrible though; and the "fright wig" was her idea.

There'd be white powdered make-up everywhere Lol!

Yeah.  You gotta remember this all took place BEFORE there was some kind of white powder everywhere in Hollywood.  ;)

Sepiatone