Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

He Couldn't Say No...and Other Fun B Movies

Dialogfan

This low budget B movie slipped past my radar over the years and was recently on TCM...

and I loved it! 

Although there was so much to improve upon, the premise was fun and "Father O'Dowd" got out from his usual supporting roles and was fun.  

Jane Wyman, this past month, has been enjoyable to watch.  From the annoying voice to drama, she has more versatility than I formerly realized.  

Even these "B" or even "C" movies from the 30's are preferable to seeing today's prototypical overweight actress falling and passing gas.  Ugh!

It seems like an endless treasure chest of unknowns from 1929-1945.  I hope TCM stays the course.  

• Like 1

I have to agree even though at the moment I can't think of any titles, that I've seen loads of "minor" movies on TCM that were very entertaining to me. 

I OFTEN tune in to some flick I've never seen or heard of but gets rated only 2 to 21/2 stars.

Cheezy '50's SI-FI flicks aren't the ONLY "guilty pleasures" to have.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

This low budget B movie slipped past my radar over the years and was recently on TCM...

and I loved it! 

Although there was so much to improve upon, the premise was fun and "Father O'Dowd" got out from his usual supporting roles and was fun.  

Jane Wyman, this past month, has been enjoyable to watch.  From the annoying voice to drama, she has more versatility than I formerly realized.  

Even these "B" or even "C" movies from the 30's are preferable to seeing today's prototypical overweight actress falling and passing gas.  Ugh!

It seems like an endless treasure chest of unknowns from 1929-1945.  I hope TCM stays the course.  

I have to agree, whenever I think of Jane Wyman, I think of "The Yearling" or "Magnificent Obsession".

In a much lighter vein, like "Public Wedding" or "Here Comes The Groom" or "Three Guys Named Mike", she is just so much "fun",

"Don't Tell the Wife" (1937). At the time it was on TCM the imdb rating was 5.x, it had one of the most annoying B actors of the 30s in it (Lynne Overman), and yet it turned out to be quite amusing.  Mr. Overman was good in it too.

Watching Jane Wyman this month, it has been interesting that she managed to break out of the B cycle of films at Warner Brothers and into the lead in A pictures over the years. And she wasn't even a great beauty. I don't mean that she was hard on the eyes at all, but she was not as pretty as, say, Ann Sheridan was for example, who never managed to make that leap.

• Like 2

"Don't Tell the Wife" (1937). At the time it was on TCM the imdb rating was 5.x, it had one of the most annoying B actors of the 30s in it (Lynne Overman), and yet it turned out to be quite amusing.  Mr. Overman was good in it too.

Watching Jane Wyman this month, it has been interesting that she managed to break out of the B cycle of films at Warner Brothers and into the lead in A pictures over the years. And she wasn't even a great beauty. I don't mean that she was hard on the eyes at all, but she was not as pretty as, say, Ann Sheridan was for example, who never managed to make that leap.

Wyman was able to 'break out' because of her success being loaned out for The Lost Weekend and The Yearling.     These films made her a major star and that lead to her casting in Johnny Belinda and from there she was viewed as being way above actresses like Ann Sheridan.

Wyman was wise not to re-sign with Warner and this lead to a robust 50s career.

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings