Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

identity politics movies

benz

Identity politics is divisive and everywhere and tends to ruin everything it touches!

TMC was one of the few places you could go to escape it, but it seems more and more

It's creeping in to the on demand selections and TV schedule .

I have a hunch this is ben's influence since he's a well known leftist.

Constantly emphasizing the differences between people is generally a bad thing in these times.

What we need is real unity. And the constant forcing of people into little identity boxes doesn't help anything! Too much of this crap is going to hurt TCM! Please knock it off.

Could you define what you mean by "identity politics", and perhaps list some programming that you feel is going in the wrong direction in that regard? A movie title or two to illustrate your point, and so people don't just dismiss your post as a Troll attempt.

• Like 4

Well, it probably IS a troll attempt ("People are saying bad things about Trump on the news to delude the people, it's a conspiracy by the MEDIA!"), but by "Identity politics", I'm guessing TCM has recently played "A Face in the Crowd" for its January political season?

And they haven't even played Privilege/Wild in the Streets yet.

And TMC?...That reminds me, is The Movie Channel still around?  We haven't heard much from TMC or Cinemax, after the other B-premium movie networks had to start doing original programming.   ;)

• Like 1

Not paying the extra for "premium" channels on my cable service, I'm not sure about TMC.  But back in the early cable days in my area, and quickly learning how to "bootleg" those premium channels by one method or another, I often tuned into TMC as they didn't focus more on RECENT movies like HBO and SHOWTIME, which often played the same movies several times a week.  In fact, in many ways you could say TMC was the TCM of their day!  ;)

As for the cryptic "Identity Politics", I'd offer that many classic movies with a political storyline don't often mention any politician character's party.  SOME do, but many don't.

We've discussed the scheduling of "A Face In The Crowd" here elswhere in the forum ,and I believe it was settled that TCM probably had it scheduled before the election ever took place.

But, welcome to he boards anyway, BENZ.  :)

Sepiatone

Could you define what you mean by "identity politics", and perhaps list some programming that you feel is going in the wrong direction in that regard? A movie title or two to illustrate your point, and so people don't just dismiss your post as a Troll attempt.

Many of the films featured on MFK day fall into the category of identity politics.    Other examples that TCM shows are No Way Out and Gentleman's Agreement and Crossfire.   Of course there are many others.

One could also say that many 30s' Warner Brother films were Irish identity politics films,  but only in a very 'light' way;  I.e. while  they are grounded in a specific group's identity,  they are very light on politics,  but big on stereotypes  (e.g. hot headed drunks).

Little Big Man is a 'what is my identity' film with a political POV that clearly contracts with how native Americans were previously portrayed by Hollywood.

I disagree with this statement related to most of identity politics films:  "Constantly emphasizing the differences between people,,,"

To me most of these films emphasize how similar people from 'different' cultures \ backgrounds are.    That we all have the similar desires, fears,  feelings,   motives, etc... regardless of how we look on the outside.    To me that is a good thing to emphasize.

• Like 2

Many of the films featured on MFK day fall into the category of identity politics.    Other examples that TCM shows are No Way Out and Gentleman's Agreement and Crossfire.   Of course there are many others.

Think the OP meant harsh satires against the charismatic rise of dangerous cult-of-personality politicians (like You-Know-Who, stop picking on him, he's going to Make the Country Great!)--

Including  "All the King's Men", and, if you want to wander off the "political" topic, Elmer Gantry.

Remember, if anything says anything bad about the First Gangster, it's because they've been against him from the beginning! That's the problem with Alternate Facts!   :P

• Like 1

Think the OP meant harsh satires against the charismatic rise of dangerous cult-of-personality politicians (like You-Know-Who, stop picking on him, he's going to Make the Country Great!)--

Including  "All the King's Men", and, if you want to wander off the "political" topic, Elmer Gantry.

Remember, if anything says anything bad about the First Gangster, it's because they've been against him from the beginning! That's the problem with Alternate Facts!   :P

I assume you're correct and like Kelly Ann,  I changed the topic to what I wanted to discuss.     :lol:

"charismatic rise of dangerous cult-of-personality politicians" is one narrow identity but very relatable to what is going on.

I would tell you, but it would be censored. Samuel L. Jackson loves it, though.

LOL

Yeah, well, what I wanna know is what's all this "unity" stuff the OP was talkin' about?!!!

Don't they realize that this is AMERICA they're talkin' about???

(...and I don't think we've had any of THAT since around the end of the Second World War and after that sailor kissed that gal in Times Square) ;)

• Like 2

LOL

Yeah, well, want I wanna know is what's all this "unity" stuff the OP was talkin' about?!!!

Don't they realize that this is AMERICA they're talkin' about???

(...and I don't think we've had any of THAT since around the end of the Second World War and after that sailor kissed that guy in Times Square) ;)

I agree that unity is way overrated.    I was raised that a more prevailing American value was individuality.     

• Like 3

I agree that unity is way overrated.    I was raised that a more prevailing American value was individuality.     

I was taught that too, but the lesson never reached the millions of those that you see everywhere  wearing ball caps and goatees, or the millions of others wearing oversized coats, ball caps turned every which-way except the  way the were designed  to be worn, and "hang halfway off the fanny" jeans with another pair's worth of material

gathered at the ankles.

And hair no longer than a 5 O'Clock shadow.  And pierced everywhere it hurts.

But, I'm still not sure what the OP meant by "Identity politics" .  His definition might differ from what others here might decipher.

But exploiting stereotypes in movies  isn't anything new, and will probably not go away anytime soon.  But exploiting stereotypes isn't necessarily political,  just not a factual portrayal.  And as politicians in classic movies are more or less generic in their portrayals,  no favorable or unfavorable inferrence to any politician or party can be made from them.  How the viewer interprets them is out of the control of the film maker, and ultimately not their responsibility.

Sepiatone

I would guess that the OP meant films dealing with racism, or sexism, or other social groups. Racism is the most likely target, since we had the MLK programming earlier this month. I'm not sure what titles are on the On Demand service, which is why I was hoping the OP would respond to my initial query. 

I would guess that the OP meant films dealing with racism, or sexism, or other social groups. Racism is the most likely target, since we had the MLK programming earlier this month. I'm not sure what titles are on the On Demand service, which is why I was hoping the OP would respond to my initial query. 

Ya know Lawrence, it could have ALSO been the "Trailblazing Women" series TCM ran recently which spurred our newbie to their lament here.

Basically, and as I'm sure you've also realized, this was just another of those "TCM is changing" type threads, and one which seemed doubly motivated by "recent events", and particularly by a certain inaugural address WHICH I might add while giving overly abbreviated LIP SERVICE to the idea of "Unity", the CRUX of it was ANYTHING BUT!

And which ANYONE with at least HALF a freakin' brain SHOULD have realized!!!

(...oh and btw...five'll getcha ten that THIS will be yet ANOTHER case of a newbie wanting to get something off their chest, AND that you'll probably NEVER hear from 'em again in order to get an answer to that query you posed to 'em...I'll put five bucks on this right now!)

Edited by Dargo
  • Like 3

And whose "identity politics" should be catered to?

I am sick of these attacks on Ben's political leanings.

Look- I don't care for the John Birch Society. I vehemently oppose the sort of politics endorsed by the likes of Walter Brennan, Eugene Pallette, John Wayne, Barbara Stanwyck, Cyd Charisse, Jimmy Stewart and countless other Hollywood legends.

I'm not going to whinge every time TCM shows one of any of the fine performers listed above films. On the contrary, I adore many of their works and would feel soul poorer without them.

The fact that right-winger Dean Jagger had black-listed director Joseph Losey fired from "X The Unknown" over politics he carried over in his heart from the USA to Britain where the film was being shot, fills me with disgust. Posts like yours remind me of that maneuver: Seeking to take a person's livelihood and art away from them because one has a different political persuasion. Outrageous. Censorship. Fascism.

Ben Mankieweicz is a wonderful presenter and TCM is a better place for his contributions. If you think he holds sway enough to get a brilliant- and prescient- film like Budd Schulberg's "A Face In The Crowd" scheduled at ANY time, I say BRAVO! The channel is Turner CLASSIC Movies and that film IS a CLASSIC. Beats the hell out of "Ice Pirates".

Hey- There's a thought: Why don't you post about getting TCM to never show "Ice Pirates" again? Whose dark hand is behind getting THAT abomination in the TCM rotation?

• Like 4

Well, if that's the case, he'll likely be LIVID next month, also "Black History Month"  when TCM will host a virtual cornucopia of films starring and created by African-Americans.  I'm not implying the OP is racist, but that usual scheduling can be seen as catering to a particular "identity" and some sort of cave in to political pressure.

Or at least political CORRECTNESS pressure.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings