Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Something Weird Has Happened with My Fair Lady

sewhite2000

I'm not saying I miss it, but has anyone else noticed My Fair Lady hasn't aired on TCM since December 2014? Granted, it's not officially part of the TCM library, being a post-1948 Warner Bros. film, but TCM and Time-Warner being under the same corporate umbrella, there are certain '50s and '60s WB movies that air all the time. Bulitt is probably the all-time champion. James Dean's three movies. Cool Hand LukeBonnie and Clyde. A Streetcar Named Desire. Movies that I guess aren't free for TCM to air but must not cost them much. Well, My Fair Lady used to be one of those movies. I swear there was a time when every other Saturday or Sunday I would turn on TCM and there it was. And I'd usually get sucked into watching it for a few minutes, mostly for Rex Harrison's performance and a couple of the songs. But now 25 months since it last aired. I wonder if the network is just giving it a well-deserved rest, or if there's some behind-the-scenes story I don't know about. Could Time-Warner have some reason for pricing it out of TCM's budget?

Well, OF COURSE this is happening, sewhite.

Haven't you HEARD?!

"TCM is changing"!

LOL 

(...well, unless you don't count all the times they've recently shown all those other flicks you mentioned) ;)

• Like 1

The film has been yanked from circulation, because it is offensive. Prof. Higgins is a woman-hater, and Freddy is a stalker. Also, the Spanish complained because that stupid song about rain killed off their tourism industry.

LOL

Yeah, and don't forget here Rich that because the price of weddings has gone through the roof recently, the idea of some guy dancing around the streets and bursting out in joyful song "I'm gettin' married in the morning" has become somewhat passe too!

Yeah, and don't forget here Rich that because the price of weddings has gone through the roof recently, the idea of some guy dancing around the streets and bursting out in joyful song "I'm gettin' married in the morning" has become somewhat passe too!

I think it was ridiculous that Alfred Doolittle had to marry Freddy just so that creep would stop tailing Eliza.

• Like 1

Well, with songs like, "Why Can't A Woman Be More Like A Man?" you can see where all this controversy could lead us.

There's even a song called, "Just You Wait" that describes premeditated murder.

Just remembering those two songs and what some of the previous posters have stated, I doubt that they will be able to show My Fair Lady for a long time.

Hopefully they will not confiscate our CDs, records or tapes of the original Broadway show. I have the tape of the original Broadway show and it is well hidden from public view so as not too and inflame anyone's sensibilities.

But with a little bit of luck, all this controversy may just blow over.

• Like 1

The film has been yanked from circulation, because it is offensive. Prof. Higgins is a woman-hater, and Freddy is a stalker. Also, the Spanish complained because that stupid song about rain killed off their tourism industry.

They yanked it because of the three-way. This is all that's left of the scene, Higgins and Pickering trying to entice a bit of rough trade.

3694435_l2.jpg

• Like 2

Well, with songs like, "Why Can't A Woman Be More Like A Man?" you can see where all this controversy could lead us.

There's even a song called, "Just You Wait" that describes premeditated murder.

Just remembering those two songs and what some of the previous posters have stated, I doubt that they will be able to show My Fair Lady for a long time.

Hopefully they will not confiscate our CDs, records or tapes of the original Broadway show. I have the tape of the original Broadway show and it is well hidden from public view so as not too and inflame anyone's sensibilities.

But with a little bit of luck, all this controversy may just blow over.

Next it'll probably be THE MUSIC MAN  because, in the soon to be intolerant society brought about by the current administration,  the music was penned by a MAN with the androgynous name of MEREDITH !  :huh:

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings