Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017)

jakeem

TMZ.com reports that Mary Tyler Moore is in grave condition in a Connecticut hospital and her family is gathering to say goodbye.

The multi-Emmy Award-winning actress turned 80 on December 29, 2016.

mary_tyler_moore_a_l.jpg

Moore received the Screen Actors Guild's Life Achievement Award in January 2012

http://www.tmz.com/2017/01/25/mary-tyler-moore-grave-condition/

I was thinking about her yesterday when I noticed Sundance TV is re-airing episodes of her classic 1970s series.

They're also being run Sunday nights on MeTV.

This past Sunday they showed that one I think Princess of Tap mentioned in that recent thread about Mary...the one about Mary's new friend the ex-hooker and that provocative dress she makes for her.

(...laughed all through it)

• Like 1

I'm already remembering some of her greatest TV moments. In the Season 5 episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" titled "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth," Laura Petrie inadvertently reveals on network television that comedian Alan Brady (Carl Reiner) wears a toupee. Then she has to apologize in person to her husband's boss.

ab6.JPG

• Like 4

Then there's the Emmy Award-winning episode "Chuckles Bites the Dust" from Season 6 of "Mary Tyler Moore." The storyline revolved around the horrific death of WJM-TV's Chuckles the Clown, killed during a circus parade by a rogue elephant (Chuckles was wearing a peanut costume at the time). Mary Richards spends most of the aftermath trying to squelch inappropriate humor by her office mates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92I04DkMEps

• Like 2

She is known as an icon of the small screen.

But her icy turn as the heart frozen Beth in "Ordinary People" was a chilling, vivid portrayal of someone wholly bereft of empathy.

Positively gripping, and a stout rebuke to those that would pigeonhole her as Mary Richards or All-American wife and mother Laura Petrie.

• Like 3

She is known as an icon of the small screen.

But her icy turn as the heart frozen Beth in "Ordinary People" was a chilling, vivid portrayal of someone wholly bereft of empathy.

Positively gripping, and a stout rebuke to those that would pigeonhole her as Mary Richards or All-American wife and mother Laura Petrie.

Moore won a 1980 Academy Award nomination for Best Actress in the film. First-time director Robert Redford had to remind her not to use her hands in the usual Mary Richards fashion.

"Ordinary People" won Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor (Timothy Hutton) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Alvin Sargent).

• Like 2

This hurts. This is painful.

I grew up watching her as Laura Petrie and Mary Richards.

It feels like the death of a friend.

mary+tyler+moore+printed+scarf.jpg

Actress, feminist, animal rights advocate.

Farewell talented, beautiful Mary.

You made me laugh so many times. Now you're making me cry.

You made a difference in our lives.

• Like 8

I'll always be grateful for MTM Enterprises, the quality production company she started with her then-husband Grant Tinker. In addition to her own series, MTM gave us the spinoffs "Lou Grant," "Rhoda" and "Phyllis," as well as "The Bob Newhart Show," "The White Shadow" and "WKRP in Cincinnati."

But TV dramas were transformed forever after the 1981 debut of "Hill Street Blues," which earned 98 Primetime Emmy nominations during its six-year run. The series won the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series four times, a record it shares with "L.A. Law," "The West Wing" and "Mad Men."

Other MTM series were "Remington Steele," "St. Elsewhere" and "Newhart."

• Like 2

Then there's the Emmy Award-winning episode "Chuckles Bites the Dust" from  Season 6 of "Mary Tyler Moore." The storyline revolved around the horrific death of WJM-TV's Chuckles the Clown, killed during a circus parade by a rogue elephant (Chuckles was wearing a peanut costume at the time). Mary Richards spends most of the aftermath trying to squelch inappropriate humor from her office mates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92I04DkMEps

"I've put together many of the clips from his show...Except for Aunt Yoo-Hoo, I don't think we should show that one."

"Why not."

"Oh, it was just Chuckles in a dress shouting...'Yoo-hoo!'  And then at the end, he would bend over, and on his bloomers were written 'The End'."

"Maybe they oughta bury him that way. (smothers inappropriate laughs)"

Still I wondered how many obits would feature the closing shot of the final episode, where the entire crew has been fired (except for newscaster Ted), and Mary is the last one to turn out the lights and look back at the newsroom:

5778765e6464bf2785f6cf633b50d22b.jpg

(Oh, and just looking at a 70's TV Guide makes me sentimental for what TV Guide used to be... ) :huh:

• Like 2

I thought it a shame they ended the show when they did.  (The MTM show). I thought it could have run a few seasons more w/out losing any integrity. There's something to be said about leaving at the top (unlike other series like Frasier that ran on way too long) but I think it was premature to fold when it did....but I did appreciate they ended with Mary still single and didnt cop out by getting her married..

• Like 1

I thought it a shame they ended the show when they did.  (The MTM show). I thought it could have run a few seasons more w/out losing any integrity. There's something to be said about leaving at the top (unlike other series like Frasier that ran on way too long) but I think it was premature to fold when it did....but I did appreciate they ended with Mary still single and didnt cop out by getting her married..

Maybe she took a cue from the showrunners of "The Dick Van Dyke Show," which ended in 1966 after five successful seasons. 

• Like 1

Maybe she took a cue from the showrunners of "The Dick Van Dyke Show," which ended in 1966 after five successful seasons. 

Yes, I'm sure that was part of it. Also other people connected to the show wanted to move on to other things.......

Not sure about this, but could it be that "Mary Tyler Moore" was the first comedy series to have an impactful ending? In the finale, which aired on March 19, 1977, new management fires everyone on the WJM news staff -- with the exception of the incompetent anchorman Ted Baxter (played by Ted Knight). 

SHOW_Mary_Tyler_Moore_Show_finale_hug.jp

Not sure about this, but could it be that "Mary Tyler Moore" was the first comedy series to have an impactful ending? In the finale, which aired on March 19, 1977, new management fires everyone on the WJM news staff -- with the exception of the incompetent anchorman Ted Baxter (Ted Knight).

SHOW_Mary_Tyler_Moore_Show_finale_hug.jp

Good point here, jakeem.

I'm thinking it was just another example of how her show could take a serious subject(in this case the issue of Corporate Ineptitude) and present it using just the perfect comedic touch in the examination of it. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings