Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cinemascope

Alastair Sim

"The Belles of St. Trinians," where he plays both the school headmistress and her spiv brother. Great fun.

I saw him recently in Hitchcock's Stage Fright. He was wonderful. A very enjoyable movie, and very underrated.

An Inspector Calls (1954) is a terrific, underrated metaphysical mystery movie. Recently, TCM ran London Belongs to Me (1948) in which Alastair Sim appeared as a self-styled psychic. He was, as always, memorable, though this time, playing a remarkably flawed human being. There was almost always something otherworldly about Sim in all his roles. A really fascinating actor. Alec Guinness is said to have based his performance in the classic The Ladykillers(1955) on Mr. Sim's performance in this film. London Belongs to Me was an interesting movie, packed with British eccentrics, from Sim to Hugh Griffith at his dottiest. I like this quote attributed to Alastair Sim that I came across:

"As I passed imperceptibly from a beautiful child to a strong handsome lad, I wanted more than anything else in the world to be of all things, a hypnotist. I practised on gentle dogs..."

...and went on to mesmerize audiences, I guess.

;)

Sim is also amusing as a befuddled clergyman in The Ruling Class. You even get to see him wear a pirate's hat in that one.

One of the few actors who take that last step between performing and living. You look in those eyes and it's all real. An artist if ever there was one!

THE GREEN MAN is one of my Sim favorites. And I like his version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL.

I mentioned Scrooge earlier, which is the original British title, although perhaps I should have put between parenthesis (A Christmas Carol) :)

[nobr]"One of the few actors who take that last step between performing and living. You look in those eyes and it's all real. An artist if ever there was one!"[/nobr]

[nobr]Beautifully expressed, Redriver. Those eyes seemed a window to his soul. Whether noble, base, bemused or calculating--almost all his characters appeared to be expressed first from that feature.[/nobr]

alastair-sim-2.jpg

"The Belles of St. Trinian's" has been mentioned before, but I strongly recommend it. He is superb as the headmistress of the out of control girls school. Sim is fine, but there is a lot more to the humor of this movie than Sim. It is an underrated (in the USA) British comedy.

One of my all time favorites.."Green For Danger" is out this week on a Criterion DVD..I would LOVE to see "The Green Man" again..that is a jewel that the old USA network used to run all the time..wish that St. Trinian's was on DVD..

How about this great Alistair Cook picture.."The Ruling Class?"